No Plan B - Wonky CQB for CQB wonks

It certainly has its hooks in me, I’ve been playing the hell out of it.

I finished my first campaign, and it’s pretty much as I feared.

Fatigue is hell, and damage carries over, so you are constantly being pushed to use as few operators as possible, which is design that I just don’t understand.

You can mitigate fatigue and damage by outfitting your operators with certain perks - to turn them into medics who heal their teammates between missions, or to make them resistant to the effects of fatigue - but as we talked about, the economy is kinda tight, and perks cost a lot, so that means a lot of grinding just to be prepared for the campaign, and it also means you have to plan out your whole team just so.

That is a lot more busywork than I enjoy, and I don’t understand what it’s for when the game would be a lot more fun without that stuff.

I hate it when games do this, especially tactical sims. The sense of realism is part of the fun for me, and that really goes out the window when we pretend that cops don’t get to relax between raids - or receive medical attention - or when I’m sending in 3 guys to take care of 9.

That is not how the real world operates, and I think it’s frustrating because the game is a lot more fun when it just lets you play around with it.

In the game’s defense, I can do what I want on the premade Skirmish missions (of which there are a limited number) and I can use the Mission Generator to generate as many new ones as I’d like, and there are also Daylies, Weeklies and Monthlies that come with leaderboards, like the Skirmish missions.

Missions from the Mission Generator only pays out 500 regardless of the size of the map, or the level of threat, which seems a little off to me. Doing a mission on a large map with a lot of hostiles is significantly harder, and takes a lot more planning than doing a small map with few hostiles.

But those are the options right now. I’m totally against the way he’s chosen to focus the campaign, but I am having a lot of fun with the rest of it :)

Here’s one hostage rescue from my campaign, showing the newly added exteriors:

I’m so glad you like it!

I’m the same, I was also really bitten by Breach & Clear. Door Kickers kinda frustrates me with how small the teams are, but I also think it’s less of a dedicated sim. I’ll still try the sequel at some point.

I’m glad you’ve finally come to X-Com! I was enjoying your reports in the thread. I’ve been playing that since I was 9 years old, and I still go back to it :)

I made a thread for the completely insane X-Piratez mod, which has you playing as horny female mutant air pirates in a post-apocalyptic setting, but I ended up regretting that a little bit, because the recent builds went off the rails and added a bunch of stupid fail states that made the game so much less fun than what I had been playing. I’m not sure what state it’s in now.