Nomadland

I just watched this was a few friends (separately). We all thought it was a good movie (me probably less than them), but perhaps the awards and accolades are a little overblown. There’s one ten-minute stretch of the movie that could have been a short film and basically had the same emotional through-line.

Copied from the Oscars thread:

We watched Nomadland last night. Intensely stark and emotional at the same time. We had to pause several times to talk about it and related people we know, life as we know it, etc. It’s such a dark ride for an Oscar though. Frances McDormand is great but in such a manner for this movie as to be hard to compete for anything brighter in tone. That’s sad, she plays this part very, very well.

Regardless of the Oscars, I think it deserves a view for those who have not seen it. It is not a rosy slice of life movie. It’s real, it’s hard, it’s introverted and introspective but rewards with gorgeous views of nature and people.

It was hard to get through. It’s sad in so many ways but uplifting in others. We were both very emotional in multiple ways while watching it.

It mirrored too closely a couple of people we know/knew in real life which made this intensely emotional to watch. But it was so beautiful in parts, too.

The way it was shot, the characterization of those involved and the absolutely amazing sights and special moments: Chloé Zhao deserves awards for this.