Northgard - Age of Empires, Vikings only

I gave up on Bear and switched over to Stag (cue Fame theme song). That seems to fit my play style better, and I am enjoying Conquest mode as I get a better feel for timing and fine tuning some basic strategy (on easy difficulty, ha).

So I’m still playing this bit by bit. I have completed Conquest mode with Goat, Stag, Horse, and am one scenario away from completing Wolf. I may try Dragon next for more variation in gameplay.

Cool to see the game still getting new updates. I think I’m about played out with it but new clans are always tempting. Really like their spin on the RTS genre.

I’ve played this more than any other RTS in recent memory at 44 hours and I’m not sure if I tried all the factions yet. This is continually high on my back log of games to play more of. I still need to get the Ox and Lynx clans.

I had an amazing game, today, oh boy. After letting Northgard sit in my backlog for 2 years, I picked it up again and tried Conquest on normal, with the stag (Eikthyrnir). Fame victory. I played some training sessions before, but abandoned the games, because I fell too far behind on fame.

Then I started the “real” one. I knew what I had to do: find those pillars of glory with a scout and generate fame, also use some skalds to generate happiness and fame. So I had a plan. I didn’t try to expand too fast (what I did before), so I knew I would fall behind the fame curve in the first couple of years. I never got the bonus at the start of the year for being first. But I got my economy going. Plenty of food, wood and crowns.

I worked up my way on the fame ladder, and then the rats infestation hit me. Around middle of the game. I thought, ok, I have enough food to get through it. But afterwards I read in a wiki. The rats will destroy 60% of your food on normal if you do not have a silo. I had no silo. And it was already winter. So the starving and dying began. I had a pop of 40 at the start of “the incidence”, that’s how the folks in my village named it. At the end of “the incidence” I had a pop of 3 (war chief included, he is tough as a brick).

During “the incidence” people just died. I had tons of crowns but no food! I remembered in the middle of the crisis, that you can buy food on a market. I tried to build one, but my builders died on the job, starved to death. It took me 3-4 workers to get the market done. I bought the food, but winter was over, and I could get food again from my farm. All warband died except my war chief.

So I was ready to abandon the game, red faction was way ahead, and my clan was on 3th place (out of 5). For some reason I played on. I wanted to see how “the reds” won. But they didn’t. I started my fame production again, some clan killed the wyvern (not the reds). I remembered I had to build the hall of kings, but I had no stones, I used all my stone to upgrade buildings. The market gave me 3-4 stones, then it was empty, then it delivered again 1-2 stones. I needed 15!

So I played on, sniping stone from the stone market. Red was on 99 % of fame, what was going on? I built my hall of kings and BAM, this pushed me to the top and I won. My skalds and fame stones generated enough fame, while I was waiting for the stone to show up.

In the aftermath, I saw on the statistics graphs, that red plateaued on fame for several years. I don’t know why? Did they let me win? What happened? No idea. The graphs are a good idea, checked my population graph, ouch. Somewhere around 805 AD (or something) there was a big drop.

It gave me great pleasure, when I had built a warband of 5 + militia + war chief and recaptured a pillar of glory territory, that I had lost some years before to the yellow clan. My warband showed no mercy and murdered all of them.

I think now I am hooked to the game!

It’s a fantastic game. After multiple attempts at other RTS titles, Northgard is the first one that I’ve really been able to get into after strictly being a turn-based strategy player for so many years.

My thoughts too. I used to love Age of Empires but have failed to get back into them. I have 44 hours in Northgard and enjoyed it more than any other RTS in recent years.

anyone experienced something similar, where the AI did not finish the fame victory? I wonder if it was a bug or it failed to generate fame, but strange when it already was at 99% Or are you supposed to win the first conquest if you do not kill yourself??

Not as far as I know although I didn’t play as the Stag clan. Boar clan 4 life.

GOG sent me an email offering Northgard: The Viking Age Edition for 18 bucks and change. Normally this costs $53.89, so pretty good deal. I do wonder if I need all those clans, but this game has received high praise at QT3 so who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Is there any strong reason to purchase this through Steam instead?

The game is very good, it will be a good buy.

On the other hand, very possibly you won’t need all those dlc clans. The base game has already several, so unless you love the game so much you end up play 100+ hours, you really don’t NEED the dlc.
edit: the game and dlc are also discounted on Steam, check that out before .

Thanks for the tip seems like the base game will do and it is currently priced at $11.99 on Steam.

Yep, get the base game and play the clans that come bundled with it.

You’re not going to feel gimped at all. Each of them feels very different to play, even though when you’re reading the things that separate them, that may not jump out at you at first.

If later on you decide that you’re a Northgard die-hard, go ahead and look into other clans. Wait for other steam sales to buy them though.

Each of the base game clans has a different focus and a sort of bias towards a specific victory condition but outside of that they play generally the same. (as in most of the buildings/units are generally the same across all clans)

The buildings and units are generally the same.

But the way you play the different clans couldn’t be more different, at least to me. The different strengths and bonuses mean that tactics and strategies that work for some clans do not work for others, at least if you’re playing at tougher difficulties, or against humans in multiplayer…

Yeah, you should leverage and focus on your clans strengths, which I suppose will be different. Although you can flex and still win other ways.

The Boar clan is perhaps the most flexible in terms of which victory condition they want to pursue, even though their strength is towards a lore victory.

I admit I dislike the Wolf clan because it is 100% about combat/attacking. I never play it.

I’m not a fan either, but I think it’s definitely about my own play-style preference. With the Wolf Clan, I am not a fan of playing them…and also not a fan of playing against them. They make crappy neighbors!

Bumping this.

I bought it near release, played part of the campaign, gave it up out of boredom.

but recently I was thinking of any rts games that were slow paced, not too clickety, and were basically turn based games with the end turn button.

So I reinstalled this and wow, I’m enjoying it.

It’s a delicious puzzle, figuring out how to get the economy going right.

I have played about 4 or 5 games in the last 2 days, and in my last one, as the Stags, I finally had huge surpluses going on food, wood and gold, and then I had a horrific winter where everything stalled and I was haemorrhaging resources, only just above survived because of spending all my gold at the market, but it made all my population sick, so healing them took a huge amount of time, during which another player got the Gate to Hellheim and held onto it!

My military was insufficient to push them out :(

One weird thing though, entering a neutrals territory counts as attacking them. There were some giants near me, and they were being invaded by another player, so I went to help them fight the other player off, and that counted as attacking them.

In Northgard there is only war.