Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

Oh that looks sweat, but I’m looking for a replacement that is file powered because of all the dead batteries in now all of my Gameboy cartridges (2022 been a dark year!). Unless it can act somehow as an external battery that stores the save for gameboy games? maybe? That’d be crazy.

Unrelated, but arcade legendary game Psychic 5 is getting a remake of a port on the Switch today. There is a demo and it’s quite very pleasant. Excepting for that game icon. That thing is a disgrace. The site is in Japanese but the remake is a worldwide release, I checked!

They have save states on the Pocket now. You’ll be fine to save your games without a battery.

Awesome! I’m still waiting on mine, Dave, and I’m feeling very jealous of you at the moment. Are you pleased with the build quality and display? The latter looks straight-up flawless. Have you checked out a GBA game yet?

The quality is great. The d-pad is not the best I’ve ever used but it’s responsive and feels good to the touch. Same goes for the face buttons. I’m playing through Link’s Awakening atm so I haven’t put in a GBA game yet (I’m on vacation at the Jersey shore this week). I do have Astro Boy with me so I will pop that in later today.

The display is incredible. Everything you’ve heard about it is true. The built in filters are amazing. I haven’t felt any need to tinker with it other than to look at the different options whereas I spend more time on this sort of thing often with the Super Nt and Mega Sg. It’s sharp, crisp, no ghosting, and brings these games to life in a way you just never saw on the original machines. The DMG still absolutely has its charm and I am glad I own a working one, but the Pocket is the modern classic now.

Sega Rally is an all-timer for me. Probably moreso than even Daytona USA despite the latter having better (fruitier) music. This getting finished would be amazing…

It is London, UK only, but still a pretty amazing destination experience for gaming nostalgia.

The London Science Museum has opened up a permanent gaming history section - Power Up - with computers and consoles games dating from the 70s to modern day. I will visit for sure. I may be overwhelmed.

So I’m about to go on a cruise, and I’m taking three machines:

Switch
3DS XL
Hand 386

Fuck yeah, it’s gonna be great.

I just came back from an Alaskan cruise (compliments of my father in law) and was baffled by my nieces and nephews… they spent more than half the time aboard sprawled in their cabin bunk playing bejewelled type games. My wife was all “shouldn’t they not be playing games the entire time” and I was like “shouldn’t they be playing actual games”. Myself, I was happy enough to swim and hot tub and work out to the mountains as they went by. [Carefully studying where I’m gonna fly in MSFS when my new PC arrives…]

Alaska was my last cruise. We did plenty of stuff but we also enjoyed a lot of downtime.

I just started playing the original Starsiege: Tribes again. Not as blast from the past-y as Kings Quest or something, but wow…I put so much time into that game in 1999, it really brings back a lot of memories.

Still the best multi player shooter in my opinion, what a fantastic game.

My wife would toss my handhelds into the ocean if I pulled that shit.

Besides, I would NEVER do something like that anyway. I greatly respect and treasure, and honor our time together, and every moment spent, whether in rapturous activity or just merely joyfully and lovingly holding her hands and staring into her beautiful brown eyes is… Ok, she’s not looking now. You’re SO lucky, dude!!! What games are you taking?

Ha, yes, didn’t mean to sound like I was passing judgement on gaming on a cruise, just that I was happy to look at mountains instead of playing peggle on my phone since I don’t own a handlheld, my Netflix games were locked out due to no wifi access, and my raspberry pi and associated controllers and plugs would have pushed my baggage allowance (since you know… my wife insisted on my bringing dress shoes for the ‘fancy’ meals, even if they happily sat people wearing Captain America t-shirts and flip flops…)

Flying while flying.

This was the perfect post for a Like button.

For a very long time now, this one fellow has been producing these gaming quizzes. I thought the current one would be very enjoyable for the people on this board…

Link in the post if you want to participate.

Just amazing: what is this lovely little thing? I think you mentioned it in another post.

I think it’s this:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805356267711.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

That’s kind of amazing. And super tempting. @BrianRubin how do you get games on it? How is the keyboard? Tell us more!

Needs to custom print a Microprose keyboard overlay for it, though you would probably need a magnifying glass to read most of it

The site refuses my connection attempts.
This is a conspiracy! (ノ`△´)ノ ┫:・‘∵:.┻┻:・’.:∵

It is indeed this!

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805356267711.html?gatewayAdapt=gloPc2usaMsite4itemAdapt

Getting games on it is easy. It has a USB port so you can plug in a USB stick and copy games over.

You could also, if you’re brave, remove the compact flash card and, using a USB adapter, put games directly on the card. I did that once, but was so nervous to break the pins I’ve just used USB since.

It’s such a delighful device. Today I completed missions in both Star Fleet II and F-19 while in our lounge. It was delightful.