Not even Wreckfest can resist the allure of zombies

Title Not even Wreckfest can resist the allure of zombies
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When August 3, 2021

https://youtu.be/mIPPqDRK_R0

Wreckfest is having a Carmegeddon event. The latest update to Wreckfest adds the Bleak City and Devil’s Canyon tracks from Carmegaddeon, complete with pixelated zombies to run over…

Read the full article

It’s about time! Also:

-Tom

This is probably where I would put one of those Leonardo ‘you have my attention’ gifs if I weren’t so damned lazy.

Thanks to the pearl-clutching efforts of the Daily Mail et al. at the time, the UK release of Carmageddon had all the gore and screams stripped out and replaced with those same zombie sprites and sound effects found in that trailer. I assume the US got the full gore version at the time?

Anyway, that whole effort was made completely moot when PC Zone (and probably other gaming mags at the time) included a ‘gore patch’ on the cover disc the next month - I presume given to them directly by the developers.

I’ve always took that as a big FU to the BBFC, and it marked amongst the last gasps of actual BBFC censorship that I know of insofar as videogames are concerned. That said, I was too young and uninformed at the time to have much an idea of what really went on behind the scenes, but it didn’t seem to land PCZ in any particular trouble from what I saw.

All that to say, those stupid zombies put a smile on my face and I couldn’t help wonder if we’ll see a little bit of history repeating.

@tomchick that video is private, apparently. Let me see those beef curtains!

What the heck, YouTube? All my Carmaggedon videos got made private in some dumb update. Fixed. Now you can enjoy stuff like this:

-Tom

Kind of the first gasp, too. It was the first game to be refused a certificate (and probably didn’t need one at the time anyway), and then they approved the original version on appeal.

lolololol - I laughed out loud for some reason.

OK I’ve now watched that 5x in a row, and it keeps entertaining :)

There are a few more in the Carmaggedon article:

That game, like Wreckfest, feels like it was made just for its excellent replay option.

-Tom

Omg I love Carmageddon. I must try this.