Not the worst thing you'll see all week: The Ritual

There’s only so much you can do with characters lost in the woods stalked by a malicious supernatural presence.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/02/09/not-worst-thing-youll-see-week-ritual/

Huh so it ignores the death metal second half? Even in the book, this felt weird.

But guys, I heard it’s, you know … British.

The book was exceedingly British. Not sure if that carries over into the movie.

Yep. Instead you just get pretty much exactly what you’d expect.

-Tom

EDIT: edited out spoiler

Fun fact, the front page version of this thread ignores spoiler tags.

“Not the worst thing you’ll see all week” must be a reference to Tom realizing a lot of us watched The Cloverfield Paradox this week.

I was disappointed; they really ruined Luke’s character. Liquor store, wtf? In the book he takes horrifying hits by trying to fight back and defend his friends. And fights naked. The book rules.

The book sounds pretty good, I’ll have to read it one day. I thought the movie was a decent horror flick.

Not bad.

I lived in Colorado for a year and would do a fair amount of mountain hiking. One day I climbed Mt. Gothic solo and on the way back down got lost among the woods on the opposite side of town, which turned out to be extensive. It got dark, and a large, curious creature began following me through the woods. I didn’t see anything, but I could hear its heavy footfalls (very lost at this point). Eventually I came to a lake (now whatever it was stopped following me; a bear or elk), on the other side of the lake was a stream which led me out of the woods, to a trail, and back to civilization. This was in 2007, and I didn’t have a GPS-capable phone. In hindsight this was incredibly ill-advised, but I was an impetuous 26 year old at the time.

Anyway, the movie seemed to be playing on some of those primal fears of being stalked through unknown woods.

(edited out some spoilers)

A wee lot of spoilaz so you should give this post the laugh if you haven’t seen the movie.

I never read the book but enjoyed the movie. I didn’t mind the lost in the world plot or even the abandon cabin in the woods trope, or the ye old dead animals pinned to trees and ominous tree cravings cliche. Not to mention the trite sinister village or the hackneyed death by a common street toughs in a liquor store gag. I actually thought the cabin resolution thing was pretty cool and Lovecraft. The whole supernatural dreams and losing control of your own mind. I always laughed out loud when the old lady took a quick jab to the face.

Having never read the source material, I went in with no expectations. While I enjoyed the visuals (tropes notwithstanding) I was somewhat disappointed by what ended up being a mediocre parable about living in the shadow of fear/guilt.

And I agree, roguefrog. That moment subverted expectations. I laughed heartily.