November 2015 NPD - Black Friday blowout

We don’t have the rankings yet, (we’ll get them on the 10th) but we do have this from Sony:

Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment, said at the weekend that he expected the PS4 to match or outpace the PS2’s sales in its first three to five years.

We’ve just seen the most successful Black Friday in the company’s history,” he said in an interview with the Financial Times. “We are now trying to benchmark against the success of the PlayStation 2 - or exceed it if possible.”

Edit:

Here are the rankings!

Software:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC) - Higher than Advanced Warfare - 4.89 million
  2. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Up 70% versus Fallout: New Vegas and 7% versus Fallout 3 - 2.54 million
  3. Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - 2.10 million
  4. Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Need For Speed (PS4, Xbox One)
  8. Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
  9. Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  10. Just Dance 2016 (Wii, Wii U, 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

Hardware:

PlayStation 4 was #1 for the month. Over 1.5 million according to a leak.
Xbox One - “Best November ever” so somewhere over 1.23 million

Microsoft said essentially the same thing:

Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.

Let them fight!

Ha ha, Microsoft is talking in percentages. A 22% increase of a low number is still just a low number.

-Tom

That “low” number was actually higher than PS4’s number last year.

Then numbers were:

1. XB1 ~ 1.23m
  2. PS4 ~ 826K

So a 22% increase of the month (if the BF increase is a general indication) would mean ~1.5m sales.

Historically, that low number would be pretty high.

Be interesting to see worldwide figures, other countries do a BF thing nowdays.

It’s really amazing to me that the PS4 and XB1 seem to essentially be outselling all the previous generations of consoles. My (limited) perception is that I don’t see nearly as many PS4s/XB1s as I did PS3s/360s or PS2s/Xboxes at similar times in their release cycles, but maybe that’s just because I’m getting old and cranky.

Great news for Sony and Microsoft, regardless.

Sony is probably ahead of Microsoft for the month worldwide, the numbers discussed above are only in the US.

Regardless of the fact though that Sony may be selling 2x PS4s as Microsoft is XB1’s, even Xbox One is well ahead of where the PS3 and 360 were at their respective points in their lifetimes.

The 360, yes, but only slightly and due to severe hardware shortages for the first year. PS3 did about 10m each year from introduction and Xbox One is definitely tracking below that pretty significantly.

And you can’t really apply Microsoft’s pr claims of a percentage increase to the NPD numbers from last year since they were talking specifically about the Black Friday period and we know too little about that versus the whole month from 2014.

Bump for the software rankings in the OP.

No Rise of the Tomb Raider. I guess that’s what a timed exclusive will do for you.

Halo 5 made it, but Halo is more of a flagship item… Tomb Raider caters to a different crowd…

Rise is a sales bomb. Of course, MS and Square said they’re “pleased” with the sales so far, but what else are they going to say? “Man, we really regret this.”

Interesting to see the Wii version of Just Dance hitting the top ten before the other versions.

Activison PR:

“Black Ops III was the largest release in North America in November by a wide-margin in both units and dollars sold-thru," said Call of Duty SVP and GM Rob Kostich. According to NPD, Call of Duty also was the largest release of any title in North America since 2013, based on physical units sold at retail in its launch month. There’s tremendous momentum for Call of Duty this holiday. Both retail and digital sales are up significantly versus the same time last year. And our community has responded enthusiastically, driving engagement to new franchise highs on next gen consoles in its first month of release."

Per NPD leak, GTA V was number 11. Tomb Raider was less than 200k.

Looking at the software breakdown by platform, XB1 and PS4 are neck and neck in just about every instance (as in, less than a 100k variance). In fact, the XB1 version of Black Ops 3 sold slightly better.

Sad to not see Tomb Raider on there even if that’s predictable. It’s an incredible game.

It sold roughly 70% less than the last Tomb Raider game did in its debut month. I hope they got a LOT of money from Microsoft as the exclusivity deal looks to be an unmitigated disaster. The game will now carry the taint of being a bomb too, which will affect the PC and PS4 releases potentially with, on the PC, at least people holding out for a quick price drop on a Steam sale. Also with the PS4 version about a year out, that version, and possibly the PC version, will have to ship with the DLC included, so that’s lost DLC sales as well. I think there’s a good chance we wont see any more Tomb Raider games for quite a while as a result of this debacle.

NPD software ranks don’t include bundled games so it’s hard to know the breakdown including the PS4 CoD bundle. Same for Fallout 4 and the Xbox One bundle.

Wow, that is just awful. Limited exclusive release hurts because people aren’t talking/following a game that they can’t play for another 6 months to a year. There’s no momentum to build. Timing was just awful, what with Fallout and Call of Duty and Star Wars coming out close to the same time. The game got stellar reviews, was reviewed better than the original. It looks great from everything I have seen. Maybe it’s time to rethink exclusives such as this.