NWN2 - Storm of Zephir

I got a couple hours in tonight. SoZ has a weird dynamic, at least compared to the way I’ve tended to prefer to play the NWN2 series, because of the group sense compared to just really playing as one character.

I haven’t done a lot, but the load times are pretty awful, especially coming off of Fallout 3 where you could be in game in a minute or so from the computer desktop. Not here. And it seems to take forever for it to save or load. That’s pretty insane given I have plenty of processor and memory.

Still, the early additions to the mix look promising. Not the most impressive voice acting, but since not everything is voiced, it’s survivable.

You might not be playing the game right. I never let the AI control any character in my party during combat. I turn all that AI script stuff off and manage every character in combat manually between a plethora of pause states, but given that you

maybe buying an expansion to NWN2 that was more combat oriented was a bad idea.

NWN2 was fine, as long as you didn’t turn on the friendly fire option (“hardcore” difficulty IIRC). Turning it on was just painful, and not in the good way.

I personally wouldn’t dream of turning friendly fire off. I also use “a plethora of pause states” and micromanage for teh win. I also enjoy writing “a plethora of pause states” and there’s nothing wrong with that if that’s your thing.

Well, I would call that fighting the interface rather than fighting the bad guys, but to each his own…

Yeah, I’ll take on anything.

Anyone else running into a problem where the game occasionally crashes when you’re casting spells? It isn’t any specific spell; one time Curse of Impending Blades crashed it, another time it was a healing spell. When I start the game up again, I can cast the crashing spell just fine. I had this same problem playing the OC and MoTB campaigns, but it seems to be happening much more frequently this time around. I checked the BioWare NWN2 forums and tried googling it, but I haven’t been able to find a solution.

You would think that wouldn’t you? I could say the same thing, I loathe NWN2 combat too, but actually I do enjoy it. I really only resent it because I have seen it done right in The Temple of Elemental Evil.

If I hadn’t of played ToEE I might even have believed real time was the only rational way to translate 3E in a fun manner to a modern RPG. Obviously it’s not, and I hope with 4E they go back to fully turn based combat. It seems to not only translate better, but it also make individual turns matter more than previous editions.

Amazon did their confused but effective shipping routine again. Months ago they claimed it would ship on thursday and I would get it friday with 2 day shipping. That was so interesting I thought I would try it, and it seems it all worked out in the end with a tracking number saying it’s out for delivery. But only after they upgraded me to over night for free, and sending me two emails claiming it didn’t ship on time and the estimated delivery date was wrong. Wtf/Yay Amazon?

I’d kill for a turn-based tactical game for the PC with 4E rules. A good storyline with proper NPCs, and the same kind of epic feel you get from something like Fallout 3 is an absolute must. ToEE’s shortcoming was its near-total lack of a story and NPCs.

A turn-based Baldur’s Gate 2 would be sweet.

I’ve only just started playing and this game is kicking my ass already. The limit on rest is making after combat healing very difficult, as I run out of spells on my three divine casters. And any protection/utility spells take away slots from heals. Current party composition:

Cleric (with a plan to go Stormlord)
Druid (handles the outdoorsy stuff, and was supposed to be good in melee combat)
Rogue (with a plan to go Assassin)
Warlock (party “speaker” with high CHA)
Cohort: Druid (who’s pet is better than he is)

Is damage mitigation a lot more important in this expansion? If I don’t take it, I don’t have to heal it. Seems like I need a tank with very high AC, instead of three hybrid classes who are rushing into melee and are getting hurt badly each fight. Can a Monk do that job well at lower levels?

Ditto. I could never play a D&D game without using the D&D rules, or at least the closest approximation available. I’ve never even considered playing on any other setting - no appeal to me.

Yeah, good summary.

A game of BG2’s scale and polish with faithful turn-based D&D combat would probably be close to a perfect game to me.

One of my favorite (read interesting) builds to come out of NWN2 was a deep gnome monk. At the start, he or she will get AC higher than full plate (just rely on somebody else for damage). Problem is, the game will start you right at the worst part for deep gnomes, level 4 where their LA reduces them to level 1.

Anyway to accomplish this without using a level adjusted race? If I take say an Elf Monk with +2 DEX and pump it up to 20 right away, will the survivability of this character make up for lower damage?

Man, I don’t HAVE a change of underwear here at work, so thanks for that.

Don’t forget that good & neutral clerics can spontaneous-cast healing spells: no need to memorize them separately.

Low-level defensive buffs are your friends. Ditch one of your druids for a wizard or sorcerer with Mage Armor - that’s +4 AC right there. Have the remaining druid cast Barkskin - that’s another +3 or 4 AC. If you have Protection from Alignment spells too, that’s another +2. Congratulations, you’ve just doubled everyone’s AC. At later levels, any spells which provide damage resistance (e.g., Stoneskin), concealment (e.g., Displacement), or both (e.g., Ghostly / Ethereal Visage) are also your friends.

I played on hardcore, and never once got nailed by friendly fire. Nor do I micromanage my NPCs beyond setting up buffs ahead of time and maybe their initial few spells if the battle is tough (which is very rare).

Were you using the AI mod for NWN2 (which is now including in Zephir)? I found this greatly improved NPC behavior.

Mage armor provides an Armor bonus that doesn’t stack with normal armor. But there’s also Shield of Faith (which is only single target) which gives 2-5 Deflection AC (won’t stack with ‘of protection’ items or Protection from Alignment) and Recitation which is an AoE that gives a +2 Luck bonus to AC, To-Hit, and Saves (very underappreciated spell).

Ok, so I’ve been playing it and I enjoy the crap out of it!

My party of Warlock (my character), Barbarian (greatsword), Druid (sling and heals), and Rogue (shortbow) is clearing through combat without any trouble on supar hard mode. I also picked up the ranger cohort, who is specced in Two Weapon Fighting, which gives me some extra frontline muscle.

The exploration is fantastic. I’ve found lots of little items, and several small dungeon-y things full of a reasonable number of mobs. My druid is my primary outside person, with the rogue serving as the emergency hiding guy and the others getting swapped in when I want to check over a location a little further.

I’ve also found some hidden stuff with skills I didn’t expect to, like Appraise, Tumble, and Spellcraft. So that was cool. It definitely helps to specialize, rather than trying to use your PC as the jack of all trades, and whatever you do, don’t have multiple characters with the same skills! Redundancy is a bad thing in this game. If I were going to remake my party again, I’d make a rogue with Able Learner and give him ridiculously high intelligence, max as many skills as possible, and use him to explore.

The conversation system is great, but I wish they had more immediate feedback on what conversation options characters that aren’t currently selected. There’s just a little conversation bubble to tell you if they have more things to say than just the default.

I’m uncertain how I feel about the main campaign. I’m only at about level 8 or so right now, so I haven’t gotten all that far in, but it feels really downplayed. It’s not anything like as story driven as MOTB was, and I kind of prefer that. There are lots of subtle and not so subtle shout outs to the previous games, so if you haven’t played them you’ll miss out on some of the side material. It’s neat, but nothing story critical.

I’m mostly exploring and haven’t really gotten down and dirty with the trade system. I was impressed by the wagon screen (where your resources and trade goods are held) and I also like that you can trade with cities without having to actually go inside. Very convenient.

The resting system is neat and provides some additional difficulty. I can’t imagine you’ll have a good time if you’re planning to use arcane firepower as your primary damage source, as you’ll end up getting ambushed while trying to rest outside. Resting in a town costs 50g, and you can do it without entering.

Mobs that are lower level seem to be easier to avoid, but I can’t find an auto-resolve option, which makes me worried that this will end up being almost as irksome as the JRPGs it resembles. I’m not looking forward to the inevitable load into fights that I can win in four auto-attacks.

Anyway, I like it a lot. Hope this helps people out.

Nothing is going to be as good as the Deep Gnome, as it gets +4 AC just for being a Deep Gnome. Add the size benefit for being small, then just poor on dex and wisdom based bonus. The I haven’t tried this build for SoZ, in theory it’d be great for running past the difficult encounters (speed bonus plus high AC) to escape back to the overmap.

Edit: On a completely unrelated note… Worst thing about the game so far? The new voice actor for Kehlgar.