Obamacare is the law of the land

I hear all the time around me (living in the beating red heart of it all) the crap about “how all politicians are the same” and that Democrats “refuse” to govern unless they get a kickback blah blah we hate all politicians equally so let’s not look that closely at the Republicans.

So I’m starting to trot out the measles outbreak in Minnesota as an example of asymmetry; guess what, y’all, sometimes one side is just wrong. It gets them thinking at least.

To which my response to said person is:

fuck you. You deserve to lose access to medical care.

It’s starting to look like the Senate will end up passing trumpshitcare.
I think Chris Murphy (D-CT) came up with the best line (you know, a small digestible sentence that the fragile American voter can understand:)

This is not health care, it’s wealth care.

LGM has a blog post on it. From the comments:

As long as being a Republican counts as a pre-existing condition and sets the cost of treatment to a proportion of income and assets similar to what a median income family would face, I’m fine with it.

Otherwise I’m depending on Mark fucking Dayton to very possibly literally save my life, which, fucking yay.

Call your Senators. Tell your friends to call your Senators.
WealthCare is coming and a lot of people are going to be hurt by this.

Further, it is generally expected, though not required, that any legislation fast-tracked under Rule 14 is bipartisan in nature, if not in authorship, making a lengthy committee markup cycle near-redundant. Republicans have not only excluded Democrats from their efforts to write the bill, they’re doing it in absolute secret, without consultation from any industry experts no less, and very few of their own members.

Republican Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee expressed frustration over the process last month, telling reporters, “It’s a very awkward process, at best. There are no experts. There’s no actuarials…. Typically, in a hearing, you’d have people coming in and you’d also have the media opining about if a hearing took place…”

Also check the lady whispering into Orrin Hatch’s ear like the Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings!

If both my Senators weren’t Democrats from Oregon, I would. I assume they’re paying attention (although I suppose I could ask them to raise more of a stink).

Here’s a handy phone list for folks with Republican Senators who might (yeah) be swayed:

Whereas Burr and Tillis continue their absolute dedication to the mission of ruining or outright ending the lives of their constituents here in NC. It’s a sad day when you go to sleep each night hoping some brave soul will take it upon themselves to defend you from your own Senator. It certainly highlights the lie of “the Senate will save us!” made to pass the law through the House. There’s no one there with your interests or life in mind. At the end of the day, their corporate cronies will get paid, and the everyman will be left to die.

Hahahaha

Portman was just re-elected. He doesn’t give a shit. To point (apologies for the pointless two page article):

[quote]“Obamacare’s rules and overregulation are placing a heavy burden on the people of our state. That is why I sponsored a provision in state law requiring the Ohio Department of Insurance to request a waiver of these onerous federal rules. It is my hope that the Trump Administration grants that waiver once it is filed.”

“More fundamentally, it is long past time to repeal the ACA and replace it with policies that respect individual liberty and achieve both quality and affordability through free market competition.”[/quote]
“If only we didn’t have that pesky Obamacare and had a free market with no regulations!”

Yeah, basically at this point it’s Collins, Murkowsky, and Rand Paul as the last firewall for this.

And seriously, never count on Moderate Republicans to take a stand on anything.

So…yeah. I just hope they protect pre-existing conditions and manage to keep things in the remotest ballpark of affordable. But, ouch.

I can afford to go a few years without health insurance. My kids are young and healthy, and so are my wife and I.

I don’t know how else to correct this system other than to blow it up. What alternative is there?

Yep, cause it’s the regulations that are driving up the price of healthcare /eyeroll

The exchanges are a free market, they just have minimum requirements to actually qualify as health insurance, so we don’t end up with policies like this:

That’s more like the extended warranty I got on my last car. The “nothing’s covered” warranty.

Meanwhile, the House has passed its Dodd-Frank repeal-in-all-but-name bill.

Start by being 100% less naive about your need for healthcare for you and your family and cavalier about “blowing it all up.”

Sometimes you gotta work within the system and accept incrementally better things and trade-offs for worse stuff because the alternative is literally too horrible to imagine.

That’s why if there’s got to be a new Republican healthcare plan, I pray it has a slow roll-out and/or at least offers a not-deadly-horrible to what used to exist before the ACA alternative.

I’m not really going to cancel my kids health insurance. If it was just me, I would. However, I’m completely at a loss on how I can do anything to help correct this. The only thing anyone in government cares about is money. Deny them money and things change. That is the only leverage we have.

And dude, your response is basically “pray”, because decent people have no power anymore. Fuck that. Dems need to grow a spine and start calling things as they are, and stop worrying about trying to win back people who vote Republican and hurting their feeling. If you’re going to lose, at least go down swinging.

Fuckin Democrats are the NY Jets of Politics.

“Lol no, and fuck you what are you gonna do about it.” #GOP

“My kids have health insurance, so blow it up.”

1. Will you kids have health insurance in this “blow it up” scenario if it involves rolling back CHIP?

2. Are your kids hardy pioneer children who will survive off wits and resourcefulness if, god forbid,
    their parents are suddenly incapacitated of bankrupted by illness or accident because of a lack of healthcare? These are dice you’re willing to roll?

3. Are you cool with telling friends with pre-existing conditions that “Hey man, it sucks to be you, but I personally am healthy right now, so…you know. Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, Humpty Dumpty. I promise to occasionally miss you though, and think on your sacrifice well.”

So no. Not “praying”, or whatever stupid inference your making here.

Instead, I’m mindful that this will be an extended process no matter what, and that if enough political pressure is brought, it can and likely will be changed while still managing to keep ACA protections like those on pre-existing conditions and affordable care to those who desperately need them.

Also, specifically, what is it you want Senate or House Democrats to do right now within this process to change it that they’re not already doing? And be specific, please. Thanks.