Obi Wan film in discussion

Well hello there -

So, first of all - yes, not a done deal or even all that far along. Theyre talking to a writer. Second, how awesome would this be? Ewan MacGregor’s Obi Wan was the best thing about the prequels, I’d love to see more of him. Even if he’s just wandering around in the Tatooine desert.

So they’re going to do what everyone wanted them to do when they announced the Han Solo movie. Works for me.

We’ll see. A Han Solo movie could be a great concept. But I dread they are going to bungle the whole thing as an origin story of him teaming up with Chewie and getting the Falcon.

And I’ve already got the best of what Tatoine Obi Wan is, it was in Star Wars Rebels. Sure it was only a few brief scenes, but it tells the whole story of his life post Order 66 brilliantly in roughly 10 minutes.

If they actually get MacGregor to reprise the role, that would be fantastic.

I’m kind of cool on Stephen Daldry. He’s got the bonafides as far as the respect of the industry, but I just haven’t been a fan of his work. I don’t know how the directing style in Billy Elliot, The Hours, and The Reader will translate into an Obi-Wan story.

I had actually hoped that the side movies would be just that - explorations of other characters and locales in the SW universe. With Han Solo, Boba Fett, and now Kenobi, looks like that’s not really the case.

I’m sure it’ll be quality.

Stephen Daldry is a terrible fit for this. I’d rather someone else did the Star Wars Obi Wan movie, and they gave Daldry some more personal artsy Star Wars movie, although it now seems like Disney has very little interest in making a range of movie types using its Star Wars/Marvel franchises - they want every one to be a blockbuster that appeals to all ages, which is disappointing.

Huh, your comment makes no sense. You don’t like the director because you think they just want every SW movie to be a giant blockbuster flick. If that’s the case then this director makes no sense as the choice. This shows they do want to move beyond just the “popcorn” flick stuff. I really like the choice.

Only if they use MacGregor, he was the only saving grace for the prequels. There is great potential in this one.

I really think this is rose-colored glasses talking. MacGregor’s a fine actor, no doubt, but his prequel performances were extremely wooden. Granted, that may very well have to do with George Lucas, but I’d honestly be fine with another actor being cast in the role. I think there are a lot of mature actors out there with more gravitas than MacGregor, much as I may like him.

MacGregor’s near on 20 years older now! ;)

I don’t see them recasting the role unless MacGregor just isn’t interested, and he has said he’s very interested in several interviews.

Ewan MacGregor or James Arnold Taylor. Accept no substitutes.

Obi Wan? Bah. I want to know Admiral Ackbar’s story and Terrence Malick should direct.

“It’s a flap! Wait, no, that doesn’t sound right … it’s a wrap! That can’t be it either. It’s a nap! I will never get the hang of this.”

No, there is zero chance Disney is moving beyond popcorn flick stuff. This will be a disaster, likely ending in a firing.

Yeah, given what happened with Edgar Wright and Lord & Miller, it seems unlikely that Disney is looking to get experimental. Still, I’m willing to wait and see what we end up with before I call this a disaster.

Rogue One is literally the ceiling for how experimental Disney is going to allow their filmmakers to get with Star Wars. We know this because they basically had the last bit of the movie re-shot with Tony Gilroy’s help to get the film into their desired shape.

You’re probably right, though I hold out hope Rian Johnson might be able to do something impressive and slightly out of the norm with The Last Jedi. But you’re probably right.

Just noticed an AV Club article that references a Variety article about the Obi Wan movie, including this tidbit:

“Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie.”

How do we “know” that’s the ceiling? It’s the second Disney Star Wars film, and the first one that was a spin-off film. We also don’t know what the original shape the ending was in. I’d say hiring a director like Daldry is a good hint that Disney’s willing to experiment with a more meditative Jedi film. I would especially love to see the transition from the immature warrior Obi-Wan we see in Revenge of the Sith, to the Zen master we see in Star Wars Rebels. Because this scene never ceases to give me goosebumps, no matter how many times I see it.