Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

I sure have a tough time replaying games where story are a main component, even if you can change things up with some choices because in my first playthrough I pick the choices that feel best to me. If I can get a very good experience for 20-40 hours out of Tyranny I’ll be happy.

If there is a necromancer or pet class of some sort that I probably will be drawn to that. But it really depends what the choices are. And I have to say I’m completely in the dark with this one so I have no idea what is even possible!

I doubt that will be an option. In fact, I can’t think of a single story focused (aka not arpg) RPG where you could play as a necromancer with pet army. I’m not sure if BG2’s summons would qualify here.

A look at some gameplay, showing off three paths for a given quest.

The problem I have watching the first two paths, is it seems this plays out pretty much the same, sadly. Both paths you ally with someone, to the detriment of the other two. You fight your way into the keep and have a final encounter with the same outcome, no matter who you allied yourself with, only the foes you face are different and the dialog. Now, the dialog is great, don’t get me wrong - in many ways playing through the game multiple times will be worth it for the narrative/dialog alone, but the over all story seems like it will be the same, at least with this example they are showing off.

I haven’t watched the third path, but I imagine I can work out how it will go given the events in the first two. I was hoping for more varied and crazy differences in the paths, to be honest. I’m not overly disappointed, but it’s noteworthy, perhaps.

You shut your dirty mouth! Let a guy dream

Gonna do a First Impressions youtube video on this one Scott?

Definitely. Being such a story driven game, I probably won’t play too much but once I get my feet wet and have some opinions, I’ll happily share them.

I took the link in the OP. This comes out this Thursday!

I wonder if Tom can stream it on Friday, at least to show us the character creation and combat systems.

I think they would. Both BG games were very summon heavy. They weren’t permanent pets of course though, but still, a lot of fights would see armies of summons or even some big demons summoned in.

Pre-load is up on Steam and GOG!

Nice. Just picked up my key from WinGameStore.

I want to pick this up but then i will never finish Pillars :p

haha I’ve been playing Pillars this week for the very same reason. I’m probably going to buy Tyranny and… not finish it either.

After getting sucked into the excitement on Civ VI and pre-ordering it, I’ve decided to wait until this out is out and to see what the early impressions are from people who have purchased it. So I encourage you guys to buy your copies now, play it when it releases, and report your impressions in this thread!

So after the embargo lifted, are we seeing positive buzz about this?

I am all-in with Obsidian. I loved Pillars and what they accomplished so I pre-ordered this. My problem is that I don’t really have the time to devote to these sprawling RPGs! I do chip away a little at a time though.

It’s just streamers/youtube folks playing, so you aren’t going to get a lot of critique. It’s not as if Paradox is giving free copies of the game to “wild cards”, after all.

But yeah, so far everyone playing seems to be very much digging the experience. I’ve only watched a few scattered minutes of footage from the first few hours (it’s very narrative heavy, so I don’t want that experience to be diluted) but it sounds like if you enjoy games like this, there is every indication this is going to be incredibly satisfying for you.

If you didn’t like Baldur’s Gate or PoE though, this may not do much for you unless you dig strong narrative and alternate paths, in which case there is a story mode for the combat encounters to become trivial.

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. I always suffer through the combat in Real Time with Pause games, so maybe this story mode really is tailor made for me, and I shouldn’t be reluctant in “wussing out”.

I wouldn’t - whatever makes the experience the most enjoyable, I say. If the combat isn’t doing it for you, minimize it and focus on what you do enjoy.

Not sure how the fuck I didn’t know this existed, but I’ve just pre-ordered it and then came here to read about it. I have low impulse control. That said, I do trust Obsidian and I love this kind of game so I’ll be playing it as soon as I’m able.