Obsidian and Paradox announce Tyranny, an Isometric RPG

I love deep and tactical combat as much as the next guy but I’m slowly realizing that I’m the same as you. RTwP has become a negative point on the feature list for me - mostly thanks to PoE.

Not sure if this makes a difference for you or not, but I love that they scaled down the number of PCs in your party to just 4. Controlling three melee characters, an archer, and two spell casters (with very different spell casting methods) can get overwhelming in PoE. I’m hoping the reduced player count will also reduce the micro.

HUGE difference. I even pointed this out in the PoE thread :)

Fwiw, I prefer smaller squads in TB games too.

Likewise. I’ll usually play Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale with smaller parties. It’s more to do with reducing path finding. The experience point split makes up for the loss of party members.

I have bad news for you (from the AMA going on right now):

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c3nkh/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_creators_of_aaa/d9te1i3/

I never thought there would be, myself. For one thing the wiki doesn’t list any types of spell cores that could be “summoning” the way I understand the spell-crafting system, and for another you never saw it in a trailer. :)

But the idea they are trying to keep the number of combatants down per combat is exactly the sense I shared up-thread a bit - you can tell they are keeping the combats smaller than PoE, and I feel like a lot more folks will appreciate that than folks being bummed about not summoning units.

Yea!!

OK so I hate them but that doesn’t mean I won’t buy the game!

This is pretty neat (from the AMA):

(highlighting for emphasis)

And for those whom may have heard about the game-ending count-down timer that kicks off act 1, note it’s only the first act of the game, and the timer is more for color than something you could really actually get hit by.

I’m preloading now.

After two years of saving and being thrifty, I’m not sure why I chose this moment to splurge on a new game. Maybe it’s the election. I’m ready for some escapism, Obsidian style. I hope the writing is as good without Chris Avellone.

The hype is consuming me.

Less than a day now. It will be here soon enough.

Yep, looking for some decent feedback from players, in the day I was a big BG1/2 IWD etc player but found PoE and Wasteland 2 not to my liking. Unsure whether it’s a drift from these type of games of just those games.

I really want to like this and get it but feedback first for a change.

For some reason I kind of lost interest in RPG’s over the last year, but this title seems particularly apt. I reinstalled PoE last night to see why I gave up on it - if it was the engine or something shinier just happened to come along. If the latter and impressions are positive, I may just pick this up over the weekend.

I watched about 15 minutes of the game - mostly character creation, but about a minute of the start - and as it turns out I do like the art style. Plus, who am I kidding, I’m gonna get this, probably sooner than later, even though I should just go play through Pillars since I never finished it.

I didn’t look at all of the character creation, but granted that I can’t do any type of summoner character, it does look like I could try to do some sort of Shaman type of guy - either 2H weapons or dual wield plus shock spells. In the Let’s Play I watched, the guy decided not to go hybrid, but I don’t think playing on Normal will require any kind of min-maxing to have a good time, so I’m ok with making a character that might not steamroll stuff.

Doesn’t Steam typically do some sort of “10% off on launch week” for new titles? I don’t see it discounted anywhere and 10% off is better than nothing.

Depends on the publisher/developer. I imagine it’s up to them. CDKeys.com, the most legit of the so-called “grey market” vendors has it for about $35.

Eh, I don’t really want to support the gray market. I can hold off a bit and see what shows up.

Just bought this. Will probably play it until Dishonored gets a post release patch on the PC or until I figure out my frame rate problems.

I’m going into it relatively blind compared to most Obsidian/Bioware games.

Just saw over at NeoGAF that if you purchase it from GOG.com during their current promotion, you earn enough free “xp” to get 3 free games (including Victor Vran).

Hey, it’s actually unlocked now.