Octopath Traveler - Be a Dancer, or a Merchant!

Ah, I meant in general with games on the Switch. Are digital purchases redownloadable, but games bought on cartridges locked to the physical thingie?

/Internet lazy, I’ll see myself over to lmgtfy :)

LOL.

As far as I know Switch works like any other console. A cart is a cart, you can buy and then play them and sell them to Gamestop when you are done, for example. Nothing tied to anything, save games are local on your Switch storage is the only real difference between today and yester years.

Now, with digital, and Nintendo, I’m unclear. It definitely used to be Nintendo digital was tied to the specific hardware (NOT your account) but I don’t know if that’s the case any longer. Certainly it’s why all my Switch and 3DS games are physical (that and my Amazon discount).

Ouch, maybe I’ll wait for their next console when they’ve dragges their asses to the 2010s…

Honestly while Octopath Traveler was a big release for me, I’m worried I won’t have any time to play it and by the time I do (I have some travel I have to get out of the way here coming up) it will be August and Phantom Doctrine will be out, and I’m kind of way more interested in that one right now. Plus, I have Dragon Quest XI pre-ordered for the PC.

Kind of wonder if I can’t get my $48 back from Amazon and order some Magic singles instead… I do have a Best Buy membership (while it lasts) so I could always grab this there for $48 as well, down the road a ways. Argh. Not sure what to do.

Play Battlechasers Nightwar instead, you can find it for around $25 through Google shopping

I own that one already, and played a ton of it (I don’t think I beat it). Great game. Gorgeous game.

I’m away all weekend so if I think I have time to play I might grab it at a Best Buy or I’ll just wait and do that when I get home. I kind of quit on the Amazon thing since it’s pre-orders only and BB Gamer’s Club is anything at any time. Plus… Rewards!

I’ve been having a really hard time getting into this game. Just finally beat the first dungeon area, but it’s taken me 6-7 attempts firing it up just to get that far.

Do things get more interesting as I get more party members? The combat seems really straight forward so far.

Yeah, it’s too bad they got rid of the Gamer’s Club, I really liked it. Sigh. At least current members can still keep going - I only used it once so I’m actually losing money unless I buy one or two more games in the next few months.

My intention was to switch for good and then it got cancelled. *sigh* At least I get two years of it…

Unfortunately, the game doesn’t do a good job of making you want to switch party members due to the way leveling and the perk points work. Basically pick your favorites and stick with them. However, I find a lot more variety in combat than I have from most games with standard jrpg style combat. There are some reasonably unique enemies and there is enough difficulty in the dungeons(especially if you play them on the hardest setting) that you actually need to be careful in combat. I find that I end up using a wider variety of skills than in most of these games, though there are those that I never touch.

I see my copy from Amazon is actually arriving tomorrow so I’ll let it ride. I’m sure I’ll have fun with it.

Some clarity for you:

Digital games that you purchase are tied to your Nintendo Account, but everyone on your active Nintendo Switch console can play them.
You can activate one console at a time for your Nintendo Account. Your games are only playable on the current active console.

Okay that’s good news. I know it wasn’t always that way, I’m glad they finally relaxed that a little. Before you could transfer your digital games over, like if you had a lost or broken 3DS, but it was a huge PITA to pull off and you needed customer service to do it. This seems much better.

I still like having a library of actual games to browse through, since I don’t on PC any longer, and like I said getting physical copies I get 20% off from Amazon, so I doubt this will make me change my ways too much, but I’ll not shy away from a game on sale that’s digital, or a game on a whim I want to play right away instead of waiting for shipping.

Over here most full-priced Switch games are $20 less if you buy physical, due to stores trying to outdo each other. Octopath is $70 physical, but if you want a digital copy it’s $90. :P

I still usually get digital because I want it now… ;)

I haven’t read many reviews yet, but Jason’s review at Kotaku is definitely making me want to wait a while to pick this up later on discount:

Yet Octopath Traveler is shallow, disjointed, and unbelievably repetitive. The combat system is excellent, which helps keep the game enjoyable even through its grindiest moments, but even that can’t mask the game’s many structural flaws.

The game consists of eight standalone stories about eight different characters (hence: “Octopath Traveler”). Each of these stories is four chapters long, making for a total of 32 chapters. Thirty-one of these chapters follow the same pattern. You enter a town, watch some cut-scenes, talk to people in the town using your character’s Path Action (more on that later), watch some more cut-scenes, go into a dungeon, and fight a boss. Then the chapter ends.

All of these dungeons also follow a pattern. There are around 50 dungeons in the game, some optional, and every single one is identical: There’s one main path, and then there are branches that lead to treasure chests. Sure, the aesthetics will change—maybe you’ll descend the depths of a sewer, fight through a haunted forest, or explore a mansion—but every dungeon in the game has the same structure. Once you’ve played through one of these dungeons, you’ve seen them all.

He does highly commend the production values and extremely fun combat system, so because of that I remain interested, but it’s definitely not a day-one game for me.

I tried the prologue last night. It seems cool. Very 3ds, but on the Switch. Which is not a knock at all from me. Some questions:

The three hours, is that per save or total? I was playing the knight character, but wanted to toy around with others.

For the Knight, there was a chest in the background on the right side of the mountains that you can see through a hole in the cave. It seemed to be near the big encounter, but I could not figure out how to get to it. Can I get to it?

The combat felt a little repetitive. I basically was hunting the the proper weakness, then lowering shields, then dumping Boost Points. Repeat. Am I missing something?

The game seems to auto level enemies. Does this mean grinding is not a thing unless the player is just behind? That is, doing more random encounters won’t really do much?

Which character are folks leaning towards for their first/main?

• it is 3 hours per save. You can start a new save with every character however it overwrites so you can only have one save in the demo.

• I’d imagine you can get to every chest on every map. This game plays with perspective so often it will not seem like there is a path but that’s only because it’s hidden.

• that is the basics of the combat. Most reviews feel that the combat is the strongest part and there are a few videos out there that go in depth on combat alone. I think as your party fills out and you gain skills the variety and challenge also increases.

• auto level only occurs in each characters Ch 1, after that they are gated and static with recommend levels ( level 20 for Chapter 2 for example). Enemies in the later chapters will always be at the static level and this has been a point of contention with many reviewers as it forces you to do some grinding to keep up. This is even worse with the characters who are not in you party during battles as they do not gain XP. This means when you swap in a fresh character to your party they will not auto level to match the rest of the party. Many reviewers noted they had to spend considerable time grinding to keep all 8 characters around the same level.

• I haven’t decided if I’m going to pick this up or not as the lack of cohesive plot and repetitive structure are big negatives for me. However from the demo I did enjoy the Hunter’s capture ability and the Cleric also seemed strong. I would probably go with one of those two.

Reading the reviews really highlights how divisive this game is. It either has really bad writing and plot or 8 very engaging stories, repetitive combat or deep and engaging combat, bland and cookie cutter level design or unique and clever level design. I swing wildly between levels of interest depending on who’s review I read.

On bad writing versus engaging stories, I played the intro sections for 2 characters and had one of each. Markedly different.