Oh god, I've resubbed to Eve-Online

So I did the nasty and downloaded it. Amazed at how good it looks. Checked on my three chars. My main has so very many cool ships that I can’t use. 290 mil ISK. And I realized something important. I have exactly zero idea how to play now. One of my chars is actually in the Qt3 guild. I had seriously forgotten about that. I am so old.

It really looks good though.

Qcats still running? Or another corp?

Not sure yet, but I may be interested. Or, if you guys go do faction wars again, I could be the mission runner that helps fund the wars and stays out of the corp, heheh.

We went out on a Faction Warfare roam last night in a collection of alpha clone-fit tech I frigates - three-to-five Rifters over the course of the evening, along with, a Tristan and an Imicus - and managed to kill a Jaguar, a Condor and four Thrashers.

Our Rifters practially doubled in value when you loaded the ammo in and the base fit was 2.2m ISK. In return the Jaguar was worth about 72m and the other ships combined for about 50m. Loot was 35,000,000 ISK which comfortably paid for our entire fleet.

The Jaguar had a lot of range on the warp in point so could have run, but decided to fight our ragtag fleet and once we got a point on him it was a matter of time before we annoyed him to death.

Favourite kills were the Thrashers as they were the instalock artillery fit that’s designed to pop most frigates in a single shot, so there were fun to dispatch.

Scary Rifters Fleet!

A Rifter and, uhhh… a Trifter?

There is something to be said for the strength of small bands of frigates.

That last screenshot is gorgeous by the way.

Indeed. Those look nice.

I decided to sub again for a bit and got back to my old home system where most of my ships are. I wonder if there are any new skills that they added over the past few years that I should look at right away.

I also remember what my next objective was. Get enough money to buy a Golem to do missions in just for fun :). I have a fully skilled Nighthawk and Tengu that I like to fly and have a Noctis for salvaging, but never did really get into battleships before. I got the higher missile skills ready to go now (still need 5 in torpedos, though) and Marauders 5, but no cash to buy the ship, heheh.

I also have my Logistics skills up there pretty good and a ship ready, but was always too scared to rely on my abilities to keep others alive.

I may also take my Prowler and Buzzard back to low sec to poke around some more and I still have a Hawk and Drake in the old low sec system I used to hang out in for fighting.

If anyone pops in to try for a bit and/or need a bit of ISK to get going, give me a shout/PM. I am far from an expert, but can assist in helping people get started or get back on their feet and cleared out missions are always good for newer players to go loot/salvage for cash.

In case anyone else is shamelessly jumping in because ‘free’, this guide helps a ton: https://www.thealphasguide.com/

I didn’t feel like I had a grip on much of anything after the tutorial, but with the guide above I at least have some minimal direction now.

Nice. Thanks.

In an attempt to encourage some friends to try the free version of EVE I made a brand new Alpha Clone for the fleet roam we had planned last night and it couldn’t really have gone better as I ended up on 12 killmails, landing the finishing blow in two and top damage in two others. Also I didn’t lose my ship all night, despite the fact that by the end we were just barnstorming complexes in Faction Warfare space without checking what was inside first.

Almost got me…

We were exclusively in T1 Frigates, (although our Fleet Commander was in a T1 Faction Frigate), and my boat cost about 3,000,000 to put together. Over the course of the night we killed about 310,000,000 worth of stuff and collected more than 100,000,000 in loot. Plus I managed to drive down my security status to -2.1, and have someone put out a kill right on me.

Great success!

Hey man, you’re speaking my language with that Caldari Merlin. I’m a huge Caldari junkie.

Mind telling me which space you guys are launching from for Faction Warfare? The last pics were you in a Minmatar group.

These pics are giving me a stiffy. Please don’t re-sub Skipper, please don’t re-sub Skipper …

We were in a Minmatar group last time because we had a whole station full of Rifters that we wanted to get rid of. That roam was essentially a large insurance scam.

Because Alpha Clones are racially locked I couldn’t take the Rifter this time. I want to get into a Kestrel, but at 9 hours old the character didn’t have the missile skills yet, so I went with a blaster Merlin - Space is, like, really big and my optimal range was… 600 metres. I basically drove up to the enemy and handed them the rounds and asked them to smash it against their own ship.

Fortunately, because the Alpha clone also doesn’t have the improved align and warp skills I was usually the last to land on grid, so I was only targeted a few times because the enemy was busy with everyone else. The picture above comes from when we landed on grid to find two Algos and a Rifter. We slowly lost frigates as we fought down the two Algos and then I was left orbiting the Rifter at 500 as we traded rounds to see whose armour would last.

Our area last night was around Huola - Sassieko - Oyonata - Sahtogas and back again, taking a couple roundabout routes a few times if our scout said a particular gate was heavily camped.

Gotcha, I keep forgetting the rule differences with FTP. I need to read that guide @Daagar linked.

Which makes it easy for me. I:

No longer have the e-mail address that I had used
Was Gallente flying a mix of those and Caldari ships
Was deep into T2 Cruisers and Frigates, with a Caracal I used to solo missions and stealth bombers for other things
Had something like 100mil worth of implants
Last played in about 2005/6
Have played literally 0 hours of games in the last 2-3 weeks

but, please, tell me more stories. I’ll never go back, but it is just so compelling.

My last story before unsubbing:
“Man, I’m bored of waiting for this fleet to start. Should I hang out in Jita or do some missioning?” Repeat x 1 million.

I should have rolled a new character and joined a pirate corp or something that would have taken me far outside my carbear stance.

Well, favourite silly moments of last night… one of our pilots accidentally posted the link to our supersecret voice channel in local in lowsec. This made him dunce of the week, taking the title away from me after I accidentally invited someone trying to kill us into our corp chat channel.

Later we jumped into a system without scouting the gate first and landed in a significant gate camp made up of Tactical Cruisers, Destroyers and Battle Cruisers. We held cloak on the gate and the FC announced “Ok, I’m going to squad warp us to a safespot and… some of us will get there.”

Fortunately it turned out the campers were repairing each other so we all got out without a scratch, although they did manage to lock our FC just before we entered warp.

As we all “strategically repositioned to the rear” the campers posted “Good fight!” in local.

LOL. I’m betting half of them were afk. A group like that would be a nasty gate camp.

I would probably play a lot more if I started an alt long ago so that I could have one main stay in hi sec and farm missions for money while my alt would hang out in low sec and cause trouble.

I really enjoyed trying to survive alone in low sec, but either that or hi sec missioning would get boring after a while and I would want to switch it up. I could clone jump once a day, but if one was slow it would take too long to switch back to the other while if I had an alt I could have done it immediately. Maybe I should start skilling one up now at least through the early parts that are free.

Here’s the security status for the new Alpha I made yesterday. For seven and a half hours they were a law abiding citizen. Then they blacked out for an hour and then there was some slight murdering.

Well, being in between my usual RPGs at the moment, and since it’s “free” I downloaded and installed EO. Holy crap! I can’t even get through the tutorial. I think I was near the end of it. Twice. I took out the capital ship, then got killed before I could get to the next step. I followed the tutorial instructions to get back to base and re-equip. It took forever to get back to the mission area, and then I died the exact same way. I rage quit the tutorial, and now I am quite literally “lost in space”. I cannot figure out how to get back to my base. I did manage to dock somewhere else, but there was nothing in my “items hangar”, so no way to meaningfully re-equip.

Any advice?

Yes, that you should do the tutorial again :p