Oh shit... Steam Workshop now allows mod authors to charge for them

In fairness, this really has little to do with Valve. It is an independent developer/publisher and it most likely ships as a complete package, rather than just modifying some existing base install.

I guess Valve are getting a slice, given it is their IP (which would explain the store promotion), but the devs have probably chosen when to launch and also long ago that it would be paid standalone.

Just seems like poor timing.

Packaging a mod with a engine so it works separatelly is a old tradition. Selling a game that way, that originally was a mod, is nothing new.

Not much different than Counter-Strike and Team-Fortress 2*.

At the same times, “It looks like a mod” used to be a insult. Journalist and gamers would use it to describe a game soo poorly done, that looks like a hackjob done in a weeked by two teenagers. People don’t use it that way anymore, but the idea persist that a mod is a hack. A mod is not something you expect to work always and to be perfectly well tested.

Theres nothing wrong with doing that. The question is… is what they releasing fun?

So, according to the information on the official dev forum, it seems quite a bit of the holdup on this project was due to Valve’s contractual requirements.

We have had huge numbers of people complaining to us that we should have just bunged the BMS mod on Steam so they could get the Steam version, as soon as we were Greenlit. [B]The legal requirement for us to switch engines prevented that from being possible. The engine port fiasco set us back hugely.[/B] It stalled development for a very long time and crushed a lot of our motivations. But, when it was said and done, we didn’t want to do just a straight port of the mod release, but we knew we did want to get BMS on Steam before Xen was done, so we could keep deploying updates for people and build up a community, while we finished Xen. We wanted to take the “mod port” to the next level. So we’ve done what we think is the best compromise for everyone. There’s a fun and cool MP. The existing SP parts have been touched up hugely based on feedback from before. At the end of the day, it’s a compromise. You can’t satisfy everyone. We’ve poured huge amounts of love and hard work into all of this and we’re extremely proud of it. I know I am.

You’re right that Valve wasn’t involved in the mod’s development, but they weren’t entirely laissez faire about it either.

They announced plans for this back in 2013: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-valve-gives-black-mesa-permission-to-be-a-commercial-product

While it may technically be a MOD, or started as one, it looks like [B]now[/B], it is a standalone game, which, importantly, does not requite owing HL2 to install/play. If correct, this is no longer a traditional MOD. It’s now a standalone game in it’s own right.

Needs, more commas.

You need to get a life. Go pick some corn.

[B]Good[/B] one.

Whenever I see people write “MOD”, I wonder what they think each letter stands for.

Seriously. Same for people using MOB for a monster in an RPG, though that at least has some basis as it’s derived from “Mobile Object.”

Nah, that’s a Mod. For paid MOD, this seems to fit the popular mood:

Remember what H.A.R.M. stands for!

Hybrid Adjustable Rate Mortgages!!!

Am I missing something? I thought mod was just a shorthand way of saying modification. Or, do you mean when they capitalize like one would an acronym?

Yeah, people should not do that.

That. I suspect it started back in the 90s, when you had both “mods” (modifications) and MODs (the file extension for music files created by Soundtracker and its derivatives).

Average Joes tending to be clueless about such distinctions, I could see how one bled into the other over time, then younger generations picking it up from them without questioning it.

Method of Destructionbitches!

MOD is short for [B]mod[/B]ification. The important thing here is that since it modifies [U]existing[/U] content, a genuine MOD, requires a base game. If a “mod” works without requiring a game, it’s no longer a genuine (traditional) MOD. I chose to use CAPITAL lettering to infer that it’s an incomplete word, but not an acronym.

Whenever I see MOD, I still think of the Amiga music file format (module file) which stored an entire music track including samples in a single file. I still listen to MOD format music, but it’s getting increasingly difficult to search for them on Google now because you have to wade through all the game mod stuff.

This is not how the English language works.