Oh shit... Steam Workshop now allows mod authors to charge for them

They announced plans for this back in 2013: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-valve-gives-black-mesa-permission-to-be-a-commercial-product

While it may technically be a MOD, or started as one, it looks like now, it is a standalone game, which, importantly, does not requite owing HL2 to install/play. If correct, this is no longer a traditional MOD. It’s now a standalone game in it’s own right.

Needs, more commas.

You need to get a life. Go pick some corn.

Good one.

Whenever I see people write “MOD”, I wonder what they think each letter stands for.

Seriously. Same for people using MOB for a monster in an RPG, though that at least has some basis as it’s derived from “Mobile Object.”

Nah, that’s a Mod. For paid MOD, this seems to fit the popular mood:

Remember what H.A.R.M. stands for!

Hybrid Adjustable Rate Mortgages!!!

Am I missing something? I thought mod was just a shorthand way of saying modification. Or, do you mean when they capitalize like one would an acronym?

Yeah, people should not do that.

That. I suspect it started back in the 90s, when you had both “mods” (modifications) and MODs (the file extension for music files created by Soundtracker and its derivatives).

Average Joes tending to be clueless about such distinctions, I could see how one bled into the other over time, then younger generations picking it up from them without questioning it.

Method of Destructionbitches!

NYHC

MOD is short for modification. The important thing here is that since it modifies existing content, a genuine MOD, requires a base game. If a “mod” works without requiring a game, it’s no longer a genuine (traditional) MOD. I chose to use CAPITAL lettering to infer that it’s an incomplete word, but not an acronym.

This is not how the English language works.

You know who else writes “MODs”? Gabe Newell. Plot twist imminent.

“It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.” -Sun Tzu

-Todd

I know it, better than you do!

Of course. Anyone who is a real PC gamer, knows that. What’s for lunch?

I realized this week that modders are a nasty and aggressive group of people. Yea, I am a bit slow.

Game developers will have all their artistical sensibilities completely raped by this group of people.

If they carefully controlled the parameters, so their physical engine behave in a immersion-friendly way. They will create a weapon that shot trains.

If some scene is balanced so it make sense for the character in a cutscene to behave in a particular way, they will replace the character by a sea whale, that will explode into gibs and into space.

Because modders are jerks.

Probably all gamers are jerks.

Even console gamers are jerks that will happily laugh after a video of a monkey stealing a car in a modded game.

The way I see this, theres only two options:

a - Don’t sell your game to these people. So they don’t mod it.

b - Sell the game to these people, they will mod it. Call your ISP so they cut your access to the internet, and the nasty, indignatious things they do to game engines and resources.

As a modder, or exmodder myself… I have to say… “I am sorry”, we have unspeakable things in the past and must probably we will do in the future. Nothing will stop us.
This group of people will do any thing to a game/game engine for fun. They will stop for nothing just to have a laugh and some fun.