Old World: How does X work? Post your gameplay questions here!

It’s the same rate as buying orders, right?

Not so much a question as an observation: I love watching units from my two top rival civilizations killing each other. I turned on see all civ moves just to keep an eye on and enjoy the spectacle.

edit: OK, and a question: is there a gate to the double victory, such as a time period before you can win by double score?

It really is gratifying, isn’t it? I have a game going with an ongoing battle between Greece and Egypt on a vast plain in the shadow of a volcano called Mount Hellanion. War elephants tearing through infantry, chariots rolling up to loose volleys, stricken armies falling back to friendly territory. Truly epic stuff, and played with a competent AI on both sides. I have a scout parked on a nearby hill just so I can watch.

-Tom

You need at least half the number of points required for victory.

-Tom

Oh man, that’s good stuff, I’m enjoying the same with Carthage and Egypt bashing each other, in the last 10 years Carthage has taken not one but two cities from Egypt. I’ve got a scout parked neverby as well for the same purpose.

And amusingly enough, Egypt who had previously been expanding in my direction and diplomatically getting up in my grill has been quiet now. ;)

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I can’t find where/how to heal my units. I searched the ingame help and didn’t find anything and even google isn’t finding anything obvious. Units can be healed, right?

Yes, but units, need to be inside your own territory to heal. The top button on the unit menu is heal it costs one order. They can’t healed in neutral or enemy territory. However, like almost every rule in OW, there are exceptions, the healer promotion allows a unit to be healed in neutral territory. Certain, generals also allow the unit they command to be healed in neutral territory.

And to add to what Strollen said, I believe units naturally heal 1hp/turn in friendly territory. But basically you spend an order – and that unit’s single action/turn! – if you want to heal 5hp instead.

-Tom

Units that end their turn “idle” - aka not having done anything that triggers cooldown, like attacking or promoting or attaching a general or (un)limbering - heal 1 hp in friendly territory and can get the free XP for being parked on a Barracks/Range/Harbor.

Thanks all. I kind of expected that was the case but it didn’t seem like any healing was going on. I think I was just overlooking it but finally noticed it happening.

You can’t stack workers on a project can you? Got a worker just starting on the Musaeum and it’s showing 13 years, so made me wonder if I could speed things up by doubling down on it with two workers.

I suspect the answer is no you can only have one worker per tile. But figured I’d ask.

Need a Builder Leader. (Originally, the game always worked this way. People thought it was too strong, so instead of deleting it, I snuck it behind one of the archetypes. Did that with a number of powers, in fact.)

Ah, yet another nice touch sneaking it in. And I can see how this would have been viewed as OP if it was just a default state in the game design.

My current leader is a Judge I’m afraid, as is the heir. So guess doubling down on building isn’t in the cards, but I will keep that in the back of the mind should I consider going tall in a campaign.

I wonder would the other Civs become jealous if you jumped way out in front of them in this one area and thereby invite invasion by jealousy if you didn’t also arm yourself in the process?

My guess is weakness militarily is always to invite invasion…

I wonder if there was ever a point when everyone could create alliances or the game always was built around the idea that alliance is something rare and for diplomatic rulers only.

BTW with Builder leaders it’s not just 2 Workers, it’s more than that. You can knock those Wonders out in 3-4 turns!

One thing I like to do, if I can, is to have a Builder leader for when my first city reaches Legendary, then I can quickly build all those super-slow wonders.

Is the 200 turn limit something that can be turned off, or is the game completely designed around this?

I really like the look of Old World, but I normally like to play games like Civ on the slower speeds so the game takes a lot longer.

I’m worried I’d get close to turn 200 in Old World and think “but I haven’t finished what I was doing yet!”.

Thank you.

Good question, because in my play throughs either I’m just incompetent at forming alliances or they are exceedingly hard to come by and quite fragile (to the point I’m questioning why bother).

Good to know, I figured it was a stack’em if you got’em.

I play Civ on Epic or Marathon speeds typically so I had similar concerns. The design of Old World is a lot more focused/tighter and I haven’t feel like the 200 turn limit is too short.

I think you can continue past 200 turns but as I’ve felt like the game is wrapped up by then I haven’t really looked into it or tried.

You can just keep playing past turn 200, or you can install/make a very simple mod that changes the limit.

That said, I’m also someone who finds Civ too fast on regular speed, but I never run into the turn limit in OW. Already by turn 150, even if taking it slow, you should be researching the last column of techs and be working on your final ambition - there just isn’t much to do for longer. But if you feel you want to have 10 Legendary cities or whatever, yeah, you can keep playing.

Thanks for the replies, that was the only thing putting me off buying the game so that’s great to hear.