Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Next game I start, I will keep a closer eye on it. It’s been kind of the reverse of money, when I first started playing the game. Back then, the money just piled up, so I couldn’t really say exactly why. That is so over, but now it happens to me with orders.

Just had the opportunity to check this out in-game. I placed my hidden scout right where the barbarian unit needed to go to attack my warrior, and the result was that the barb unit moved into that hex, and my scout was moved over a hex.

It may be that we’ve focused more on actions that increase orders. Those little +0.5s add up. Do you prioritize camps over other improvements, for instance - where you might not have when you first started.

FF -

Yep, I found that to be the case as well; they don’t necessarily block AI units but remain hidden and get pushed into a different hex. What would be interesting to see is, if the scout is hidden because of trees, then is pushed into a hex w/o trees and gets exposed.

It appears that the June 22 patch, messed up the ambitions. Basically, I played a couple of games and never got a chance to pick my ambitions.

Bummer, I may have to take a week off. But that would allow me some time to try out this new Secret Government game that just came out. :)

I think I spoke to soon. It was only a single case where my leader got killed before the first ambition was put it. It is working and fact they’ve changed the starting ambition so it is no longer kill 5 units or get 4 cities. Now its have 6 mines, or 4 units.

I swear the game is getting much tougher, I use to win more than 1/2 the time at Glorious. But now the the last 6 or 8 games I’ve played the AI has caused me to quit before turn 75. Between barbarian and the various tribes attacking me. I was getting over run.

That is one concern I have about spending a year tweaking a game in EA, if you spend it listening only to the hardcore on discord what comes out the other side is a game that even on easy a wider audience can’t win.

Well, one first: I failed to get one of the two early religions. Judaism went right away, so I pursued the two acolytes as directly as possible to pick up Zoroastrism, and did not come close to succeeding.

I had always wondered at this. Other nations have cleric houses, so why are they not getting religions early? I guess that has been fixed. :)

That’s funny, I was thinking something similar to that.
I’m a pretty good TBS 4X player. I’m couldn’t beat Civ IV at the Diety level without getting lucky, and resorting to some scum savings. But generally speaking I can win most game at the 2nd highest level of difficulty. More importantly, I get better at the game more quickly than the AI does. I.e. they improve the AI in patches, but I’m constantly moving up my level of difficulty.

Now maybe I was just having a bad weekend some I’m curious if other have experienced the same.
In most ways I’m in impressed by the development. But I’m also feeling a bit like the top chess players felt when computer chess kept improving so rapidly that even Gary Kasporov was ultimately defeated. Or Ken Jenning’s Jeopardy battle with Deep Blue.

I sort of wonder how more causal player will feel struggling to beat the computer at the 3rd from the bottom and realizing there are 6 levels above him. Made they should hide the top 2 or 3 levels until you beaten the game at previous high level. Perhaps just not even announce how many levels of difficulty there are?

I’ve always been comfortable playing at the “casual” difficulty levels in games. Sometimes, that is the level of difficulty I’m looking for. Having a bunch of harder levels has never really bothered me.

That being said, I know there are a set of people who will inevitably complain that the game is either too hard or too easy at the default difficulty and never change it to an easier or harder level, but you can’t really please those folks.

I’m still finding the game to be relatively chill (easy enough that it feels more exploratory than competitive) at lower difficulties. I’ve always been a lower skilled 4x player.

Winning at “fuck you” difficulty levels like Civ IV Deity has always involved some level of exploiting, whether that was finding the map type the AI couldn’t handle or putting together some broken combination of abilities or whatever. I was happy enough winning consistently on Monarch there, or Hard in the Simtex games, or whatever else, because getting to the point of beating the absurd difficulties that are only there for the true masochists…yeah, no thanks.

Yeah, I see that as an outcome of internet communities of gamers. People find out about angles they never would have considered on their own, and once incorporated into their play, they become a vote for more difficulty. I don’t feel so much negative from it in most strategy games, because it’s relatively easy to create multiple difficulty levels. However, RPGs seem to me to be more damaged. People share all sorts of information, but particularly character builds. But then the game has to be profoundly changed in order to make it challenging for them. And before you know it, the game is overwhelming if you don’t use the ideal character builds and exploration order and say just the perfect thing to key NPCs, to the point that I hesitate to even start without researching… which kind of removes the thrill of exploration from the game.

I like the game, but I do not understand the micro around laying down roads. Would it not be easier to just have a setting that says “build a route to city X” and just let the worker do it without continuing to guide the worker each turn? Am I missing something?

I’m a big fan of Route To X orders for that sort of thing, but in Old World:

1. You don’t build that many roads, so we’re not talking about a huge burden on the player and
  2. Worker automation has more consideration than e.g. Civ thanks to Orders being a constraint; the first time automation screws me out of being able to move a critical military unit I’m turning it off forever.

These aren’t insurmountable obstacles, but I’m sure they are concerns when it comes to designing UI sugar like that. Wouldn’t be surprised if Mohawk wants the cake to be a little more baked before spending the resources on stuff like this.

It’d be nice to have a “continue road to X” button as a semi-automated compromise.

We just added a Road-To-Target feature on the Test Branch. CTRL+Click the Add Road button.

User error no doubt, just tried doing it and couldn’t get it to work.

You have to left-click to start it. (Somehow, it’s never clear if it should be right- or left-click in these situations.)