Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Gracias. I saw the religion list but somehow missed the families.

Is there a decent wiki at least yet?

Not last I checked. Wikis seems to be going out of style and are being replaced by Discord, which I’m very much not a fan of.

Playing as Egypt on the map of the Middle East, not only did I found Judaism on my first turn, I just laid claim to the city site at - wait for it - Gaza.

All purely coincidental, I suppose. :)

One thing I don’t like about the map is the lack of goodie huts. Are all the historical maps like that?

Minoans snatched the ones the Atlanteans left alone long before you arrived. Historical.

It may not mean much to most people but it’s important to me - I love the flexibility for scaling not only the interface but the tool tips as well.

Also some beginner tips from Explorminate:

Now that Tom has adjusted the temperature on these forums re: Old World –

That’s great! So what are these numbers associated with each Family, what ramifications do they have, what will choosing one allow me to do later – and what will it lock me out of? Words and numbers splayed out in a tooltip like a dissected frog in a biology class are not helpful without a skilled teacher helping me learn what these guts do.

It’s okay to admit you don’t know how to play Old World, everyone… we’re all in this together! Maybe if we all speak up we’ll get a manual out of Soren yet! :)

Amazingly enough I managed repeatedly to win campaigns w/o knowing the minutia over every detail that you and Tom have so tightly wrapped yourselves around the wagon wheel over.

Better to be lucky than right I guess.

That’s definitely something I was afraid of. I absolutely don’t want to play a game I can win without knowing the rules.

I’d LOVE to know the rules and lose a hundred times for crystal-clear reasons. That’s, like, my dream game. I’m not playing for an ego boost.

And I definitely get that from your posts in this thread loud and clear.

I’m with you on this one. I also never couldn’t figure something out by reading tooltips or going by context, or just picking something and seeing ehat happens. I’ve only played a few hours, maybe it gets more confusing later.

Meh, I’m not making the case here this is introduced well to a new players. I’m just saying I rolled with it and figured it out because frankly this just isn’t that complex of a game. I mean compared to say OTC this is pretty damn straightforward.

I mean, can anyone answer my question, then – what are the ramifications of picking different families? Like, start a new game, screenshot the families you’re presented with, and paste it here and tell me, in broad terms, what opportunities picking each one for your first city will open up for you, and what potential risks there are associated with each one.

(After that, feel free to tell us what money does, because after Tom’s diary entry I’m on tenterhooks about it!)

(Soren, shhh! ;) )

Money allows you to buy other resources, right? From what I remember the different family classes seemed to focus on particular things like a bonus for research, military, or culture.

There’s various mechanics used to rush production - military points, money, etc etc

The exact currency allowed depends on your leader / family type, etc. For example some mercantile dynasties allow you to use cash to rush things.

Sounds like what you want is a let’s play with someone explaining decisions.

I’ll take a crack at it but I’m enjoying a fine cigar out on in the back deck atm. :)

I very much do not want that, haha… I want a manual OR a much, much better tutorial (somehow I learned Offworld Trading Company pretty well, can they do what they did for that?) OR Tom to teach me the rules. Those are the things I want in descending order. I will put them in my letter to Santa around Christmastime.

Man the last time I saw a manual in a strategy game was. Things have changed (not arguing that it’s for the better)

Since when does Tom write manuals?

As recently as 2021, I believe.

But also, if you’ve never been taught a game by Tom, you’re missing out on a really great experience! (I’m serious!)