One is the loneliest number again in Dead Rising 4

Doh, that was easy. I guess by using the web site, Microsoft was assuming I was only interested in games for the Xbox One instead of the PC.

-Tom

I put about 1 to 2 hours into this last night and right out of the gate, it seems to have done the opposite every single thing that was enjoyable about Dead Rising. I’m certainly going to give it more time, but everything about the tone, character, and control changes is turning me off. Bummer.

If it follows the pattern of Dead Rising 3, I’m a huge fan. I kinda hated earlier games in the series. In this sense I am the anti-Tom, but Tom has this idea that zombie games can’t be about spectacle.

I loved Dead Rising 3 as well. I eventually stopped because it was too hard, and I stopped making progress. Tom stopped playing Dead Rising 3 because he found it too easy, so obviously I was doing something wrong. But I loved what I’d played up to that point. Very challenging and fun game. Maybe too challenging.

You can buy the Deluxe PC version of Dead Rising 4 (includes the season pass) at quite a discount if you use the Denmark Win10 store.

Buy 2x 100KRR digital codes from the Denmark Microsoft Store.

Be sure to check the prices on the Dead Rising Deluxe Edition app page from the Windows Store app before buying. The price error appears on the Windows Store app but not the webpage.
Also the price error only affects the deluxe edition.

To access the Danish WinStore on Windows 10 PC:

Go to settings
go to “time and language”
select “region and language” from the left hand side.
Change your current country to Denmark.

It was 174KR last time I checked. You can use your real address (country is auto-selected as Denmark).

After the purchase, you can revert the country settings and it won’t affect the download. Please keep in mind that the Steam release should happen in about 3 months so it might be worth holding off.

Right. I think zombie games should just parcel out one or two zombies at a time. Really, zombie games stopped being good after Resident Evil 1, where they only showed up one at a time, the graphics were bad, and the camera was fixed on a specific corner of the room. I don’t think Dead Rising in any way, shape, or form advanced the zombie genre by just adding extra clutter in the forum of more zombies and the utter lack of focus that comes with an open-world game.

-Tom

a+++ reply would read again

I finally found the shark suit and then found an amazing reindeer head to go with it. I’ll take a sweet selfie to show everyone!

Oh.

Besides not being able to zoom out the selfie camera, I couldn’t even take this screenshot in-game. I had to do the old “PrntScr” trick just to be able to share this.

Oh my god this is so much fun. I dunno, for me it’s all about mowing down an infinity of zombies.

It is true that DR3 and DR4 turn the zombie formula from

• You have limited resources and an infinity of zombies, so be super careful what you do and you can run out of time

to

• You have an abundant and infinite number of ways to kill an infinity of zombies, plus unlimited time

Can’t say I am much of a fan of the former, which is why I didn’t like DR1 or DR2 at all. 😴

Snooze. Also, this is teaching you what will be very bad habits when a real zombie apocalypse happens.

The more I read (i.e. the last few posts), the more I think this might not be a Dead Rising for me to bother with.

-Tom

Yeah you say that, but you haven’t grabbed an exo suit yet!

I liked Dead Rising 2 a lot, but what I liked about it was the limited resources and especially the limited time. It took the open world formula I don’t seem to care about when undirected, and gave it a sense of purpose and, most importantly, structure. Now it was no longer about exploring the world to discover everything, but about choosing where to go due to very immediate priorities.

It also made the world seem bigger, because you where never sure you could see everything. I thought it was a really clever design choice, that sadly none other open world game that I’m aware of followed.

Giving players unlimited time to explore does give you more sales, but in my opinion it diminishes the experience and makes the games less unique. I always use the series as an example of Japanese design principles corrupted by pandering to the western market (which granted, was probably a financial imperative) and, probably, having a Western developer with a different production philosophy. Dead Rising 2 (again, in my opinion) was the perfect point between the two paradigms, while the newer games offer little incentive for me to play and discover.

The Dead Rising 3 that I played still had the time limit and very limited resources. But again, maybe I was just playing it wrong.

Dead rising 3 made the time limit so long that it lacked tension. It was still there, but to get the structural benefits of the pressure (for it to feel really tight) you had to play in Nightmare mode (that upped the difficulty in other ways I didn’t enjoy). Plus, it was one single timer for the main mission, with less missable main stuff (and less of a feeling of stuff going on without you). Again, all the above in my opinion.

Dead Rising 4 takes this further and removes it, per the previews I’ve read.

Yes. So far, there are apparently no other objectives pulling you in any different direction. There is only the main story line to follow; kind of like a Call of Duty game. Other side activities exist, such as saving survivors, fighting soldiers, or taking pictures, but they simply exist in the world and you must stumble upon them.

Hmm, that’s a bummer. The last I played was Dead Rising 2 and I really liked the hectic race against time to save everyone. It does appear I was in the minority, though.

You misspelled “unlimited”. :)

-Tom

Dead Rising 3 had the mechanic where you could just reach into a locker at any safe house and pull out any weapon you previously crafted right? No materials required? I ended up hating that quite a bit.

I just opened up my first safe house in DR4 and I didn’t see anything like that which gives me hope they dropped that. I didn’t fully explore it yet though so maybe it will still show up.

Yeah, but I only found one locker, and that was on the complete other side of the map. There was no way I’m going all the way back there just to get weapons when I can pick up weapons all over the place by killing things and combining things.

On the other hand, I’m the one that found the resources to be very limited in the game, and stopped making progress as a result. So maybe I should have trekked all the way back to that first locker.

Didn’t every safehouse have a locker? Or am I misremembering? I don’t recall any of this “having to trek across the map to get to a locker” business. It seemed like the devs really wanted me to use them.

-Tom