Onward - Pixar, Chris Pratt, Tom Holland

This was alright.

And yeah, my kid is exactly the same. It’s a real pita.

Where was the beholder? I don’t remember it.

Kids and I watched it yesterday. It was fun. Made me tear up at the end. My son–who never ever wants to watch a movie and even tried to tear himself away from this one a couple of times–watched it through to the end and really enjoyed it. It’s not really a fantasy-in-the-modern-world movie so much as a mashup of Weekend at Bernies and a random heavy metal album cover. I liked it.

Apparently my youngest nephew has watched this repeatedly, every day since he saw it the first time. He adores this move.

I have to say I really enjoy this too. It exceeded my expectations, by far, and was so touching. I’ll probably watch it a few times myself… but not repeatedly during the same day. heh.

Watched it with the kids tonight. Fun stuff! Not top-tier Pixar, but that’s an awfully high bar and we all enjoyed it for what it is.

Pixar sometimes does really thrilling action sequences. There’s a couple in The Incredibles. There’s the door sequence at the end of Monsters Inc, which I still think is the best one they’ve ever done, and now there’s the motorcycle vs van highway battle in this one, it was just superb.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how slow paced this movie was overall. It takes it’s time and dwells in the moments for a long time, much more so than any modern Marvel movie.

Is this on Disney channel yet?

Yes. 5

If you mean Disney+, the streaming service, then yes. If you mean Disney Channel, the cable channel, then, honestly, I don’t know. Probably not.

I don’t know either, but this industry does seem eager to give the middle finger to the people who continue to pay triple digits for cable and internet by forcing them onto streaming services on top of that.

Well, we did sign on to Disney+ and didn’t see it there. Maybe it’s not released in the UK yet.

They haven’t announced a date for the UK yet.

This invisible border delay stuff for these streaming services is just stupid. That’s Disney’s movie after all.

I think they just launched Disney+ service there in March, so maybe they want to spread out the releases, I’m not sure.

Plus I bet they have different deals in each territory with Netflix, etc.

The Netflix thing makes more sense for older movies. I suspect Onward was not ever going to be on another streaming service though. It’s theater run got cut short and all.

I mean I get we’re talking about a company notorious for creating faux scarcity with their Disney Vault nonsense, but a little reprieve with a couple of really recent movies is just a mental break a lot could use… wherever they are.

This was our family movie night tonight, and we all liked it. I thought it turned out quite a bit better than expected, given that I didn’t really expect much - the trailer didn’t really look like much. But the world was a little more interesting than I thought it would be, and the story went to some interesting places, and the characters were pretty great. I don’t really think Pixar has ever let me down, even Cars 2 was just kind of eh, not totally awful.

I felt this would have worked better as a television series. I mean it shares a lot of similarities to Shrek. I wasn’t satisfied with the ending although I know what they were going for.

Did a bit of Pixar catch-up over the past week. Onward felt like somewhat between B and C tier on the Pixar scale. It’s watchable, it’s entertaining, it has an emotional core - but it largely also felt like something Dreamworks would produce. The two mains are voiced by two actors who are currently all the rage in Hollywood - in part also thanks to Marvel. I like Holland and Pratt, but it’s also been a Pixar hallmark* to hire some people who are not necessarily A-listers, but are a perfect and inspired fit for the role. See Asner in Up, Brooks in Finding Nemo, Oswalt in Ratatouille, Nelson in The Incredibles, and so on. And in that sense, Pratt did not quite work for me because I kept hearing the actor, not the character. Also, picking him for the goofball sidekick roll seemed a bit uninspired since that’s what Pratt was mostly about before ascending to lead-actor-dom. The other distracting thing for me was that the facial features (ears aside) of Ian reminded me a bit too much of another Pixar main: Alfredo Linguini.

I really disliked the whole dragon curse element of the plot. I thought the movie could have done without that and the boss battle at the end diminished the emotional beats for me. Did like though that you could see Barley’s moment with his father only from a distance.