Oprah 2020?

But Reagan turned out to be GOP Jesus.

Sorry, I assumed that it was clear that I meant it took more than a speech to be a great president.

Obviously, given the guy is currently president, there are no minimum standards to simply hold the office.

Reagan, as I pointed out, was head of the SAG, and governor of California prior to become President.

And of course, the other bit is that he surrounded himself with qualified people that could help him do the job. Agree or disagree with his politics, Reagan at least took it seriously. The current orange boob does not, and that’s pretty self evident.

And that’s one thing that could help Oprah. She doesn’t seem to assume that she already knows everything worth knowing. She reads books.

As others have said, I’d vote for her over Trump in heartbeat. But I think we can do better.

Could she win? Sure. But that’s not the metric by which we measure a leader.

No, but it is certainly one we should consider when measuring potential candidates for leader.

Apart from Trump, I can’t think of any recent president with zero public sector experience before being elected.

That leaves Trump. I don’t believe Republicans are eager to repeat that experiment, much less the rest of America. He is basically the exception that proves the rule.

(Obama’s 2012 Iowa coordinator.)

Let’s have some fun with this. Who would be her best running mate?

Winfrey/Booker?
Winfrey/Biden?
Winfrey/Warren?
Winfrey/The Rock?
Winfrey/Gore?
Winfrey/Bloomberg? Now there’s a power ticket. In fact, if I were Bloomberg, I might be putting a call in soon to convince her that the right ticket is actually Bloomberg/Winfrey.

Obama’s 2004 DNC speech begs to differ.

Yep, in many ways Obama’s 2008 run and success were key factors in convincing American public opinion that experience wasn’t quite the huge requirement to be president that it was previously thought to be.

And the last two candidates who ran on their resumes in public service and experience were both beaten. (McCain and Clinton)

I don’t disagree one bit with this. However, I wonder if a more experienced Obama would have avoided some of the pitfalls he sadly fell into early in his Presidency, like not believing the GOP was quite as partisan as they appeared.

Exactly, Obama’s inexperience hurt his administration greatly. He would have been more effective if he had more experience at the highest levels of government.

And even there, he DID in fact have some experience working in the public sector, and then served as Senator briefly.

Folks are just being ridiculous. “Oh man, what a great speech, that woman should be President of the United States!”

Jesus christ, people.

Obama had ten years of public sector experience before being elected President. Granted, much of it was at the state level, and other presidents had even more experience. But still, it was enough to become familiar with some things that apparently still elude Trump. Like how a bill becomes a law.

Probably. But the counterpoint might be, "Would a super-experienced president from the party establishment have immediately alienated members of the other party from the start, causing problems within his/her own caucus.

For instance, look at the kickbacks to Nelson, Levin, Leahy and Sanders to get them to vote for the ACA: Payoffs for states get Reid to 60 - POLITICO

You need to change that to " be a good president".

I’ll see your Jesus Christ and raise you a for fuck sake.

I guarantee, within the next few days, a Republican spokesperson will, without a hint of irony, be quoted saying that we don’t need a celebrity President, and that Oprah should stick to her business.

Yeah, I have to agree that Oprah running would harm the Democrats more than help. She would take valuable attention and resources away from far more qualified candidates and turn the DNC into a circus. That is the LAST thing we need in our efforts to unseat Trump and win races around the country. We also DO NOT need a Democrat version of the populist “Oh I love her/his TV show!” candidate running on sheer charisma and how people THINK he/she will act as President rather than solid concrete positions on issues and political experience to back them up.

I’m not saying Oprah would never make a good President, but I’d rather she ran for governor of California to start with, then launch a campaign for U.S. Senate after serving at least one full term as governor, then perhaps think about a Presidential run after a term in the Senate. At that point she would likely have the perfect mix of charisma, knowledge and experience that would bring people, myself included, out it droves to vote for her.