Orcs Must Die 2

Has anyone tried the new DLC - Fire & Water (out on Steam)?

Key Features

Three all-new levels!
Three additional Endless Mode conversions!
Three new traps – Web Spinner, Floor Portal, and the deadly Dart Spitter!
Two new elemental enemies bring devious new tricks to the battlefield!
New “Trapless” skull award!

Nopes, will probably pick it up during the Winter Sale.

Finally succumbed and pick this up last night. If anyone want to play co-op, send me a msg on steam.

I already got an enormous amount of mileage out of the main game, so buying the DLC was a no-brainer for me. The three levels are ok - and I’d say they’re less hectic and easier to solo through than some of the later levels in the main campaign.

The fire elementals/lords are more or less like earth elementals/lords - except for the fact that the small guys will be hunting you instead of gunning for the exit. The way the water elementals/lords work has a nice twist to it - you definitely have to be more careful here. (Gotta say though: the small water elementals are so cute that you almost feel bad for killing them.)

The portal trap may seem nice for that one monster than makes it to sneak past your kill box - haven’t used it a lot at this point though, and I guess I’d rather build two arrow walls instead of one portal given the choice and the price. I’d also probably prefer using tar traps plus arrow walls instead web spinners plus some floor-based traps. Definitely quite useful for the sorceress though, IMO, because I always thought that her freezer traps are not as useful as war mage’s tar traps.

In the new DLC, Are We There Yeti?, they added The Tower level for endless. It is one of my favorite levels. There is a tile placement which is bugged. it does not allow the placing of any traps there. See picture. Please fix this, PLEASE!! Additionally, for that level they removed the ballista, and if you place archers in it’s place they float. They still shoot but it looks funny. Fix that too please.

That blank unusable spot is costing me 1-2 additional waves.

PS: Whomever designed and approved the Goblin Sapper should be tortured. It basically renders the later endless waves, to trapless stages. It is not funny. Actually, only the guy who approved it should be harmed. No doubt many silly ideas are floated and rejected all the time. This one got approved. The Goblin Sapper and the Hobgoblin Healer are designed to frustrate players. Boooooooo!

I picked this up during the Steam sale and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Finally managed to 5-skull the 2nd and 3rd levels after much trying to beat that par time.

Is there any point to picking up the first game at some point?

If you do decide to pick up the first game on Steam, it unlocks the ability to play a selection of OMD 1 levels in OMD 2 (with the OMD 2 traps, co-op, etc.)

Also, we recently added Steam Workshop support to OMD 2, so if you don’t care about game balance you can download some very crazy weapons & traps or ultra hard alternate wave setups.

OMD 1 is worth owning just for the extra content. The main drawback to the first game is that the skull-earning rules are much more rigid, so you can’t unlock stuff through persistence, you have to get a bunch of perfect levels.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds good. I agree that the Goblin Sappers are the worst. I just ran into them on the “Big Valleys” level. I suspect that soloing this and getting 4 skulls, let alone 5, is going to be very difficult.

EDIT: Well, I managed to 4-skull Big Valleys, but since the par time is 12 minutes and my time was over 17, I’m thinking I’ll never see that 5th skull.

I am trying to play this with a friend. The first night we played there were no problems. Now tonight we can’t connect. Weather he invites me or I invite him to a game. One of us sits at connecting and the other person gets a disconnection screen.

After googling, this seems to be a common problem. I did not find any cause or solution to this issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you have two network cards, try disabling one of them.

I do not. We played successfully last night even though neither of us changed anything. Is there some kind of central server this game needs to talk to for multi-player games? The Steam connection seems fine. If either of us invite the other, we get the popup that we are trying to join or waiting for the other to join the game.

I think Steam was screwed up on the night of the 3rd. I tried to play 3 different Steam multiplayer games with a buddy and we couldn’t connect on any of them (works just fine any other time), before we gave up and fired up our xboxen.

OMD2’s store page claims it has full controller support. (I play all my games on the sofa in the living room - no KBM for me). So I downloaded the demo to check it out and there’s no options to enable the controller - I’ve got an xbox 360 - and its just not working. Anyone played the full game with a gamepad?

I just tested the game with a controller (XBox 360) and it does work. Yeah, there are no options for it in game, and possibly no way of changing the bindings for it. I did have the controller plugged in before starting the game. As for how well the game plays with controller, I’m not sure because I only ever went with keyboard and mouse. I can not help but feel as though the game would be too stressful for me with a controller. YMMV and all that.

I actually started a game and found out I can move, but do nothing else (place traps, shoot etc). I suppose its a skip then.

The control scheme is weird. Right trigger to shoot a weapon, I think X or Y to lay down a trap, but you have to select the traps/items from the spell book first, and that involved my fumbling around to bring it up (I forget which button I used). The regular game would be fine because it does give build breaks, but I’d hate to think of the stress that would be playing OMD2 in nightmare with a controller where it is always on the go. Consider it money well saved, as much as I enjoyed the game, I believe Robot may have gone too far in the map design to make it suitable for co-op rather than single player gaming because of the stress involved in monitoring and building up multiple killzones.

OMD 1 is worth owning just for the extra content.

As well as being a better game overall.
They changed a lot of things between 1 and 2. Graphics are more cartoony and feel flatter, physics have been tuned making several traps much less useful (the pendulum in particular), and finally, 2 is pretty much only worth playing for co-op, as many levels are incredibly, inhumanly hard to beat alone. 1 was a fairly fun game for single player.

I played the first few levels with mouse and keyboard and it’s quite doable–are you playing on the couch in front of an HTPC setup or something?

Look 2 posts up from the one you quoted ;)