Orcs Must Die Unchained - F2P

Too bad. This looks great and I liked OMD and OMD2. I’ll be skipping this.

Founders packs and in-game gold: https://www.orcsmustdie.com/founders

So its a MOBA/TD game? Could be interesting.

MOBA? F2P?

sad trombone

Hate to say it Telefrog but FTP is here and its not going to go away. And as a MOBA, having to balance offense (picking minions to send and attacking yourself)and defense (killing their minions and setting up traps) could be really interesting. I think Robot has earned enough goodwill with the OMD games and Hero Academy that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Am I going to drop money on the beta? Heck no, but I’ll give it a try when its out.

Sure thing. I get that business is business. Some F2P games make a ton of money. I don’t blame them for chasing the dollar.

As a consumer, it’s my right to pass. I choose to spend my money on games I can purchase outright for the most part and I see no evidence that they’re all going away.

I wonder what other ideas from the depths of the Warcraft 3 modding scene remains to be re-surfaced by developers?

Looking forward to an re-imagining of the the TD Wars maps from Warcraft 3, and these guys definitely can put something good together. One concern is a reduction in power of some of the fun traps due to multiplayer. They’ve already greatly reduced effectiveness of the really fun physics traps going from OMD1 -> OMD2.

I hate FtP. It is the scourge of modern game design. That said, one of the few places it works is in MOBAs as they are by definition filled with bite sized content that is fully complete and competitive with other bite size content. Of course the third rail of PtW is always a factor, but that is better left in the wait and see category.

Still, does the world need yet another FtP MOBA? When will companies recognize the post LoL/ Dota MOBA fountain of money chase is as much folley as the post WoW MMO money fountain chase? I would much rather see the talents stay in the traditional OMD camp or some other reasonable offshoot.

I can’t really answer questions about this yet but I will say we haven’t explained any details of the business model yet. The structure of the game (including the business model) and the gameplay draw inspiration from a lot of sources. Hopefully y’all will give us the benefit of the doubt (or at least an open mind) and check it out yourselves. :)

There are a few additional details in this IGN article, and there should be a lot more info out there soon.

Color me intrigued. Might pick up the cheapest founder’s pack since it comes with the original 2 games and I’ve been contemplating those for a while.

Given how good Hero Academy was at using a F2P model, I think it’s worth giving Robot the benefit of the doubt here.

Yeah, I think Chaplin’s right on. And I trust Robot Entertainment to do it well. I won’t be playing because I am not a MOBA guy, but it’s at least one case where I think free-to-play fits.

F2P , I am sad now…

Wow, so $150 for the top tier founders pack… I am sure its a best value like it says on the page. poker face

I haven’t posted here in years but you guys are the top site discussing this.

First of all, I just want to add my voice to the chorus of folks who are disappointed with this decision. This is not what the series needed, at all.

I’ve gotten to play Heroes of the Storm and let me tell you - a lot of these companies are fooling themselves if they think they will prosper in the MOBA space when it becomes a three-way crushathon between Blizzard, Valve, and Riot. I think that the new Orcs Must Die being a MOBA is a huge mistake - they had staked a niche out for themselves and done a really good job in the 3rd person tower defense space. Now they’re jumping into a different genre with bigger players and higher stakes. I wish them well but I’m just not interested in this new title at all.

Edit: Discovered that the F2P debate is actually rip-roaring in the Games Journalism thread, so I edited it out. I swear I didn’t know!

I hope anyone who thinks this is just a MOBA gets a chance to either play it at PAX East or takes another look at it later this year when it’s freely available for anyone to try!

I can see why people jump to that conclusion, and there is some common ancestry there, but it’s really not what the game is or what we set out to make. It’s OMD taken to the next level, with attacking enemy castles added to the core OMD defending-your-own-castle gameplay.

Theres 4 interms in my company, I talked about a pay to play game, and the 4 where amazed people would pay to play games. They can’t even think about a game that is not free2play. Its only us old people that want to pay for games montly, I think.

I’m all in on this one… Orcs must die 1 and 2 are great games and this does (as Xemu said) look to me like the logical progression of the game. Essentially it’s an Orcs Must Die map that’s be mirrored with opposing players playing as the heroes on either side. The only debate for me now is whether or not I’m so impatient that I need to drop the full 150 on it so i can play it asap.

Xemu, thanks for responding. I don’t know if I quite buy that switching from a single/co-op tower defense hybrid to the exact player count of the MOBA genre was a natural fit but I’ll take your word for it. Would much prefer a 3 man team. I hope that you will introduce a single/co-op mode that can be played against the computer and isn’t just a glorified bot-match. My wife and I had a lot of fun with OMD2. Anyway, again, I wish you good luck and hope it’s a success. I’ll check out the PAX footage, anyway.

A mix of OMD gameplay with third person action + TD + some MOBA gameplay structure sounds good to me!

As a minimum, it’s seems a 5vs5 pvp game! :P

Teaser trailer

I dunno what your position is in the company, but you might want to try talking someone into putting out a detailed gameplay description that doesn’t sound like it’s wandered straight into DotA land.

I dunno - maybe the whole Tower Defense roots? My first reaction wasn’t DOTA, but the many TD War maps from Warcraft 3.