Order of the Stick

Thematically it’s great, but it suffers from some pacing problems.

• Alan

I laughed at Belkar’s Shakespeare reference today. Also, I was mentally picturing stick figures getting it on.

Any comic with Banjo is a good comic.

Who else thinks it’s going to end at 500? Most of the main subplots have been resolved, or at least soundly beaten and tied up with ropes, and the big bad is about to arrive. The author has said he doesn’t want it to continue for ever and that he has an end in mind… and he’s very fond of major developments at the 100 strip boundaries.

Not me. In one of the books, he says he has enough already-outlined plot to keep the strip running for at least a few more years. You’re right, it stops someday–but not that soon.

Hurrah!!

I don’t think all the recent ones have been direct hits - #402 didn’t quite work for me, f’rex - would have been better if they were ‘facing’ each other in the frames, and the cheapness of the gag was a bit jarring. But I loved roy waking up (Roy’s player missed a session, in my head) and I loved the resolution of the Haley arc.

Personally I’d like to keep seeing OotS going, but I’d also love to see what he could do with RPGs in different genres. A SciFi one would be just as ripe for the picking.

As of the latest strip, I now like Erfworld as well. I was really digging the art from the beginning, but the strip kind of sucked with the stupid lisping and other annoying jokes in the setting. Now there is a (sort of) normal person dropped in the middle of it to contrast with it and make it funny. “What the boop is this boop boop? I can’t say boop?” is great. That and “I can’t even see his points!”

Any comic with Banjo is a good comic.

I made a cleric archer in my eberron pen-and-pencil game, and made up my own diety to go along with it that gave him free longbow skills and the ability to maximize one spell a day at-will… Our GM calls him “The Cleric of Bow-jo”. :-)

“EVAN’S SPIKED TENTACLES OF FORCED INTRUSION!”

OK, I’m on board the bandwagon.

sigh Times are tough.

^-- bloody brilliant

Okay OOTS lovers, what’s your favorite OOTS quote? There’s tons to choose from, but one that has always stuck with me:

Mr Scruffy demands poopsies!

“…I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.”

“Stop oppressing my culture, you ethnocentric bitch.”

Which has the perfect followup here.

“When in doubt, set things on fire.”

(Belkar after setting fire to Miko, I don’t know which one it was to link to)

I think I just had an evilgasm.

Also good: Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN’T solve?

405: The Secrets

Very nice indeed. Understated.

Man, I just read through the entire archives again and it’s really amazing how well he plans stuff out or, alternatively, finds way to make use of details from old strips. Like the ring of jumping that Belkar gets from the dragon’s hoard and later uses to escape from the Azure City holding pen. Or the Girdle of Gender Changing. The strip is full of stuff like that when you read it through all at once.

As far as favorite quotes go, there’s tons. But Xykon is always good for some:

And then later in that same strip:

And of course Vaarsuvius is good for a laugh, too. I pretty much giggle whenever he takes his “rant pose” where he faces the camera (so to speak), furrows his brow, opens his mouth wide, and throws his arms in the air. And he does have the best quote:

WhazzZZzZz…