Origin: EA trying to beat steam

I don’t think the system have to be used daily: as Impulse, games can be executed without the client running.

Do you guys realize that all future games from Activision Blizzard will be on Battle.net only for download? This isn’t just a trend with one publisher… I’m pretty sure Diablo 3 will not be available for digital download purchase anywhere else, and I would be surprised if this wasn’t also the case with Modern Warfare 3 (for PC).

I’m actually surprise Activision wasn’t first on this.

If publishers stop being the people that get a game into multiple retail locations (because they want the retail markup themselves) then aren’t they giving up one of the things a publisher offers a developer, i.e. as much access as possible to audiences? This seems to make any given publisher less appealing to developers - now all the publisher offers is up front capital and marketing, as opposed to those things plus wide distribution.

Also, if you change your EA.com password, games will no longer remember your signin ingame and there’s no way to change it. It just hard-codes your initial EA password. Fucking thing.

Exactly. EA is betting that the increased revenue of selling exclusively through Origin outweighs any sales lost by not selling it through other digital stores.

How the numbers look for the gamestudio? would be the game studio be damaged by the smaller sales?

Yeah… that is completely not true. I’ve done it myself and I kept all my games when I logged back in. Just follow the instructions found at store.ea.com

To change the e-mail address associated with your EA Account, perform the steps listed below:

Click the Log In button on the www.ea.com web site.
Once the page reloads, click on your e-mail address at the top of the screen.
Click My Account.
Click the Edit button found in the My Info section.
Enter the desired e-mail address in the Email address text field.
Click Save.

I did it. That simple

Is there a specific game that does this? Maybe it is a bug? I changed all my passwords recently, twice in the past month, and any EA game that required a password worked fine. (I tried Spore, Sims 3, and Burnout Paradise)

I honestly believe this is what bugs me the most about this situation. Browsing various forums, all I see are people berating EA for trying to regain control of their games and cut the middleman in digital distribution, the exact same thing Valve has already done. However, they continue to praise Valve. Only EA is in the wrong.

Personally, I can understand the frustrations of having games spread out amongst multiple services, but I am also all for it. I feel there is less risk of losing my entire collection should something go wrong somewhere (Lulzsec hacking, billing error, any number of scenarios).

I just hope with time they are able to improve more so (no personal issues here though), and clean up some of the terms that surround their service. Much of what is written I have no doubt is for legal issues, but people are honing in on those key facts and using it as ammunition, which I feel will hinder the service somewhat.

If their profits are higher then it shouldn’t matter. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t put it past them to punish a studio for fewer sales even if they are making more money.

Er no, that’s not what I’m saying. And comparing it to the MW2 boycott is batshit insane, it’s a completely different situation.

Crysis 2 has already been out for months. Steam has been shown to be an excellent platform for games to keep up a constant stream of sales, particularly during the bundle weekends etc. Moving it off Steam to some shitty platform that has absolutely no benefit to the average user is a terrible idea if they wanted to continue making good money off Crysis 2.

If they had launched Crysis 2 on the platform you might have something approaching a point.

(FWIW: I already have Crysis 2. At no point was I going “lol I won’t buy it now” - it’s a question of people on the fence picking it up, and the more obscure the platform the less likely that they will)

I lost access to my Steam account for a week due to a billing error caused by my credit card company and I quickly learned that having almost my entire videogame collection on one service isn’t a smart idea.

But no one here is talking about Crysis 2 being only in Origin. Who cares.
We are here talking about the future possibilities that open up with that action.

And is Orign some shitty platform? Really??

The client seems to be better than GFWL at least, would be nice if I could register my EA games on there but only BC2 and ME2 show up under “my games”.

Unlike Steam Origin does not let you gift games to people outside of your country and apparently they still have that one year download clause in their fine print.
I realize that Steam could take away all my games tomorrow too but they’ve got a pretty good track record so far, with EA who knows what happens if Origin tanks.

If future EA games won’t be on Steam importing retail copies for a fraction of the Origin price from the UK will just get more attractive for anyone with a credit card in the eurozone.

So it doesn’t take a steaming dooker right in your mouth. Faint praise, but good to know.

The one year download limit is a dealbreaker for me.

The one year download limit thing has never been enforced. I admit it’s… worrying to have it there, lurking in the dark, but right now you can download whatever you want.

If they actually apply it one of these days, i will be the first one in kick away this platform.

Personally, i never wanted a lot of features and stuff in these types of services. Give me something stable, fast, secure, where it’s easy to buy and download games, that’s it. The extra stuff like friend lists and achievements are just “extra”. I just want to run a game and play it, nothing else. Maybe that’s why i never had problems with Impulse or Origin.

edit: and price. Price decides where i buy a game. If the price is the same, i will buy it in the best platform (Steam) but otherwise i buy where it’s cheaper (at least, by a decent amount, i am not going to buy a EA game in Origin instead of Steam for a 1$ of difference).

What is this true? What a stupid mistake, never buying anything from them, if I wanted to manage backup copies of my games I still would be buying DVDs

This is just my assumption of course, but the one year limit I believe is there primarily for legal purposes only. I see it as they are offering you a minimum one year guarantee for anything you purchase. The interesting bit is, they offer you a hard number. If you read the Steam Subscriber Agreement, you will see they specifically state they do not guarantee anything, from service to access to your games (Section 9C). Generally speaking, nobody seems to have an issue with that clause. Something I personally find fascinating.

That is my take on the situation anyway. I could very well be wrong, as I only started using the service three or four months ago when I attached some EA games to it. So far though, I have had little issue with it, and at least the client loads almost instantly and is not overloaded with features I never make use of. However, in the end, I wish client controlled gaming would disappear or be purely optional. I’m old school, change sucks.

Screw that noise. They need to remove it entirely.

I personally hope this fails in a big expensive way. I want this because I do not want this to become a trend and in the future to have 10 accounts with 10 different game providers remembering which is which for whatever game I might be interested in playing.

I like my one-stop shop for games in Steam. I do have impulse as well, but I only have 4 games for that and they are all Stardock games except for Space Pirates and Zombies because it was only available on Impulse at the time.