Origin: EA trying to beat steam

Looks like EA has rebranded their store as Origin and is putting more resources into trying to beat Steam. The Old Republic will be exclusive to it.

I couldn’t stand the old EA store so I’m not sure what this will change. At least they brought back the Origin name I guess?

Sigh, I doubt this has a damned thing to do with Origin Systems, and will therefore be useless to me.

Jesus fucking christ. How much money do they need to make up with this title? This is not the way to do it.

The old shop of EA was horrible. After buying a game, the only way to check if the sale was complete was to google a hidden panel, then use some serial code from a email to search active transaction status. And the mailing of the actual CD-Keys was delayed to days or hours before the game relase (for pre-orders). So you was never sure if your did correctly and the game was pre-ordered or not.

If this is anything like Steam, even some miles away,… is a huge improvement. Congrats EA!.

That’s kind of what I thought too. You want to limit digital sales on this one how exactly? Battlefield 3, maybe. SWTOR, maybe not such a good idea.

Good luck, EA.

It’s exactly the EA Download Manager but re-branded to “Origin”, and with new social features (link to facebook, xbox live, psn).

Rubbing salt in my old wounds. FU EA.

Grr. Can’t we just have one big digital download service? I have enough crapware installed on my system already.

i’m sure swtor will show up on steam 6 months after release, when EA realizes they shot themselves in the foot.

Nah, it will sell like crazy no matter what.

Even if it’s not very good?

Given EA’s history of dropping support for their own games on a whim, I have absolutely zero confidence in their commitment to this sort of endeavor, and that’s a pretty big deal when it comes to buying games from an online store.

Of course it will - There’ no evidence anymore to support the opposite fact when MMO’s are concerned.

Its after the first month the real test is, not in initial sales.

if is good, will sell about 300K, if is bad, about 200K. error margin: 90K.

(this was my prediction from 2009, maybe is outdated by now)

You haven’t the faintest idea about what you are talking today, do you Teiman?

Origin is where you go to find the best that EA has to offer.

Once, long ago, this was briefly true.

In other news, the currency used in the store for microtransactions will change from “EA bucks” to “Wing Commanders”. The download manager is now “The Black Gate” and all DLC has been rebranded “Pandemics”. Their new social site will be named “Maxis meets Mythic”, and likes are now called “Westwoods”. Dislikes are known as “Bullfrogs”, and their forums are called “The Kesmai/DICE Extravaganza”.

Did I miss any wonderful oldschool gaming studios that EA purchased, brutally raped in the arse, and then closed? Please speak up if so.

His posts are not always easy to understand, but they are always interesting to read.

Maybe.

I will post some random opinions from the internet.

Which isn’t at all what you wrote - You said it would SELL 300K or 200K

The article you are linking is the number of subs they are talking about. Which is exactly what I wrote - After 1st month, the real trial is coming in how many will keep subscribing.