Oscars 2011 - Zee Nominees

I’d go beyond that to call it a damned travesty.

The visual effects list is odd to me. No Scott Pilgrim? No Tron: Legacy? I was no fan of the latter but I thought a lot of the effects work, particularly the lightcycle and lightjet scenes, were exceptionally well done from an effects standpoint.

Streisand and The Tourist both snubbed? Racists…

I just saw where the Greek foreign language film Dogtoothis on Netflix Instant. Has anyone seen it?

Is it just me, or is there something odd about DiCaprio missing out on acting nominations/wins time and again. I always thought he was a pretty damn good actor; am I just thinking that because he happens to be in interesting/great movies a lot?

I’m gonna say “yeah” to that, because I am pained to think of one thing I’ve seen him in where I would describe him as anything beyond (or maybe even reaching) “competent.”

But I haven’t seen Catch Me If You Can, which I hear he’s pretty great in.

I don’t think it’s for you, Tyjenks. :)

-Tom

I LOL’d.

Just for that, I am going to watch it and like it.

I don’t think it’s for most people. Fucked-up incest films from Euro provocateurs have a limited appeal.

He was really good in CMIYC, but if you really want to see his acting chops definitely seek out What’s Eating Gilbert Grape - it’s a serious, meaty role in a highly literary script, and Leo just knocks it out of the park. To be honest, though, I almost prefer him in “movie star” mode - I mean, in Inception he easily could have gotten away with standing around brooding and otherwise just being a pretty-boy, but instead he really did his best to make something of the role.

Anyway, my pick for Best Picture is Winter’s Bone. For one thing, I think that this year’s nominees may split some ballots (I can see Inception and The Social Network appealing to the same type of voters), but more importantly I was completely and totally blown away by the performances gotten out of all of those first-time actors & actresses - I eat that stuff up, and I bet the voters do too. I actually just watched it again over the weekend on Movies On Demand on cable with my wife (who’d missed it the first time around) and she was even more impressed than I was!

By the way, not only does Movies On Demand on Cable have tons of nominees available to rent from the comfort of your home, but right now you can even enter to win a 3D HDTV just for picking out the nominated titles you’ve seen in their “Which Ones Have You Seen?” app! Visit Movies On Demand on Cable’s Facebook page to find out which titles you can catch up on from the comfort of your couch and to enter the sweepstakes:

I’m working with Movies On Demand, so if anyone has any questions, just ask!

Oh, well, sure. That’s been done to death. Thanks for waving me off Tom. ;)

I kinda got that gist from what I heard about it. Home schooled kids. Create their own little world…blah, blah, kissing.

Damn, I can’t think of the name, but I assume it is a little bit more graphic than “House of Somethingorother”. What was that movie? That name might be completely wrong. Probably 20+ years old. Crap. Surprisingly, Google and IMDB are not helping with House of _____.

The House of Yes, with the always good Parker Posey and the “why didn’t he become a big star” Josh Hamilton.

It’s not quite 20 years old yet, but it’s getting there. Sigh.

Man, I’m old.

Excellent. Thanks diddums. I am 41 and did my usual addition of 5 years to my initial guess. Pretty close. Now that I think about it don’t know how similar it is, but, at the time, I remember it as being pretty messed up and that led me to the comparison

The King’s Speech is good, but not remarkably so, which why it’s a shame it ecompasses everything the academy like.

Okay. If I catch a showing of Rabbit Hole tonight (and Another Year tomorrow night, though that doesn’t have anything to do with the Oscars, just gotta see it before it’s gone from the theater Friday), use the weekend and next week to catch The Fighter and 127 Hours, and get Animal Kingdom and The Kids Are Alright from Netflix, I’ll be one movie (Biutiful) short of seeing all nominations for actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, director, cinematography, and best picture for the year. This is the artsy-est I’ve ever been!

edit: Or maybe I’ll go ahead and watch The Killer Inside me tonight and make a double feature of Another Year and Rabbit Hole tomorrow. I watched Buried and Blue Valentine back to back last night, and Enter the Void over the weekend. This month will basically burn me out or spoil me for cinema for the rest of the year.

I had the same reaction. I saw it a couple weeks after Black Swan, and I thought it had tremendous performances, but otherwise was nothing too special. I think jolly good fun is enough to win Firth the Oscar, but I don’t think it should entail a win for the film itself.

Is it for me? It sorta sounds like it might be.

Actually, yes, absolutely! You’re one of about two people on this forum who I think should see Dogtooth. The other being me, even though I didn’t like it.

-Tom

Whee! You’ve got some great stuff ahead of you. I’m a little jealous.

-Tom

But he did!