Oscars 2011 - Zee Nominees

I hope Josh Hamilton plays Josh Hamilton in “The Josh Hamilton Story”.

>>* “Alice in Wonderland” Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips

Hey, that’s my wife’s uncle nominated for visual FX. If Inception doesn’t sweep, he might even have a good chance of winning.

So Rabbit Hole didn’t work for me. I doubt there’s enough interest to warrant its own thread. It was adequate and unremarkable. The performances ranged from decent to good, but I didn’t see anything especially Oscar-worthy out of Kidman. Some actresses are obviously terrible and can’t sell you on any kind of grief or sadness, but anyone who can clear that bar could’ve done what Kidman did here.

“It’s basic science.”

Not only did it do nothing for me, but I hated Rabbit Hole. It had a very made-for-TV sensibility and did very little to take advantage of its actors’ talents. For a far better treatment of similar subject matter, see The Door in the Floor.

-Tom

Apropos of nothing, Luke Ford in Animal Kingdom looks uncannily like Olivier Coipel’s Thor.

It’s pretty much impossible to find a way to watch Biutiful. I’m sad.

Finally saw The Social Network, and despite being more than a little skeptical of the praise it has received, I really liked it a lot–enough so that immediately after finishing it, I went back through it again with Fincher’s commentary track, and the next day listened to the track with Sorkin and the cast.

I haven’t seen all of the major nominees, but I wouldn’t be upset if this were to win Best Picture/Director/Actor.

Oh hey Google, thanks for not giving me a way to expand my search radius for show times. Turns out it’s showing about an hour away, so I’ll make that my plan for tomorrow afternoon.

Okay, now I’ve seen every 2011 Oscar nomination in the categories of best picture, lead actor, lead actress, supporting actor, supporting actress, animated feature film, art direction, cinematography, directing, editing, original score, sound mixing, writing (adapted screenplay) and writing (original screenplay).

Mostly worth it.

The art-house cinema in Montpelier had all of the short films (live action and animated) in a showcase format, but I didn’t have time to get down there. I would like to have, though.

I don’t think you’re done yet. What about foreign language animated short documentaries?

-Tom

No way I’d have time to track all those down and watch them before the awards.

This started when I added everything I could find from the year end podcast to my Netflix queue. Around the time I watched Winter’s Bone, I noticed lots of the nominees were already in my queue thanks to the podcasts, so I decided to make an effort to at least see everything that was up for best picture, director, and the acting categories. All the other categories I covered were just overlap from the movies in that goal. Oh, except animated films. The Illusionist was showing here last week and How to Train Your Dragon was in my queue, so I knocked that out cause hey, why not?

Most of what wasn’t already on DVD was making the rounds in theaters again because of the nominations. I had to pull a couple double-headers on weeknights because things like Another Year were only showing for one week, but I managed to catch everything but Biutiful locally. When I realized it was the only movie I didn’t have a plan for watching, I actually tried some “internet magic” and the best I came up with was handheld footage with no subtitles. It finally occurred to me to check the showings outside of Greenville this weekend, and I found it showing an hour away in Asheville NC. I also discovered that theater has couches for seating and will sell you beer, so I may be headed back there more often!

Boo! Deakins was robbed.

I can’t believe Melissa Leo beat out Hailee Steinfeld for best supporting. Her acceptance speech was also one of the most awkward, painful things I’ve ever watched (stopping in the middle and leaving about 15 seconds of silence? The hell? Dropping an f-bomb in the middle? Auuuugh).

Still, good on ya, Detective Howard.

Dropping an f-bomb in the middle?

Are the Oscars being aired sans delay?

No, but you could clearly see her say “FUCK!” and other people accepting their awards afterwards commented on her use of “the f-word.”

Ah ok. I was wondering because, well, over here it wasn’t bleeped out.

Whoa, I think that fake “best musical movie” bit was done by the Autotune the News folks. Very similar editing, and I think I recognized the girl’s voice in the “He doesn’t own a shirt” one.

Yeah, but we have delicate ears here. Gosh forbid anyone should utter the darn F word; we’d all go to Heck.