Our Flag Means Death - Rhys Darby as a Gentleman Pirate

Have you ever been sketched?

This is finally airing in the UK, on BBC 2 of all places. It’s like the old days, when US imports like The Larry Sanders Show would get put in the graveyard slot.

It took it’s time, but worth the wait - I thought this was wonderful. Looking forward to the second season, whenever it will eventually reach our shores.

The overall tone of the show felt very familiar… they could almost have called it What We Do in the Shallows.

Yaaaassssss.

This show is so great. I love how gay it is.

A vengeful scorned lover Blackbeard looks like a pretty great hook for season 2.

Really glad that this show somehow survived the brutal axing of many other shows on Max. Probably doesn’t hurt that one of the stars is Taika Waititi who is getting nominated for Oscars.

The first season was just so good, and the slow burn on the relationship between Stede and Blackbeard just worked so well, I think that their reunion is going to be something else.

Aw.

Eh. They told a complete story and the leads seemed to be happy with where it ended. I’d much rather that than dragging it out.

Yeah, as bittersweet as it may be, seeing this show (and Reservation Dogs) end before they ran out of things to explore creatively is a good thing. You gotta figure The Bear only has one or two more seasons left in it too.

I loved this season almost as much as the first. It would be impossible to recapture the delight of discovering these characters, but they expanded exactly the right amount and explored everything that was left to do with these characters. A solid victory lap.

I think they could have told many more interesting stories, but they did give the characters a satisfying ending.

Season 2 is on the iPlayer now. Not sure it needed another season, but I’ll watch it.