Our Flag Means Death - Rhys Darby as a Gentleman Pirate

Okay this looks AMAZING.

https://youtu.be/YpgAhTP6ElA

Up my alley. :)

Let’s hope for one port named Murrayland.

Yeah, this looks just about perfect.

in the old days, you paid once per month for a dozen TV channels. Now, you pay for each streaming “channel” once per month. Glorious times we live in. I am thankful to have the option to pay more…

And in ten years after a wave of consolidations people will be lamenting the lack of options compared to the good old days when you could choose between Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock, etc

…each of which had fewer movies and series (and redundant movies across channels in many cases) than you get with a single well-chosen streaming service today. Which are also less-expensive than that cable package, and video on-demand, which cable TV isn’t.

looks like HBO max is not available currently in Germany. I usually subscribe for a month, watch the thing I subscribed for and cancel, like for The Mandalorian etc…

Pretty sure Germany is Sky country. Most but not all of HBO’s TV content ends up on their OTT service, sometimes with a delay, which is NowTV here but may be branded differently for Sky Deutschland.

Yes, HBO Max won’t be available in Germany at least until 2025 due to their contractual arrangements with Sky.

The old cable subscriptions came with the backbone necessary for the delivery of their programming. You can’t even subscribe to a streaming service today unless you have a pre-existing contract with a data service provider, which is often an eye-gougingly bad deal in the US compared to what other countries get.

I watched the first three episodes and it’s just OK. It’s surprisingly tame for an HBO show - it feels more like something that’d be on TBS.

I tried this last night. Made it through about half an hour without laughing once and turned it off.

The next three episodes are much better than the first three.

I’m just two episodes in, and frankly this show is wonderful. Yes the humor is very broad, and almost madcap at times – but hey, Taika Waititi gonna Taika Waititi. But then I’m starting to get That there are some layers here, too when Stede looks back at his life, and how he got to be in a place I don’t expect he imagined he would be. Like – there’s some depth here, and I’m not sure Stede is quite so happy-go-lucky as first appears.

And the cast is great. Samson Kayo seems super familiar, but I’m not sure where I’ve seen him before but he’s so, so good. And Matthew Maher is hysterical. Plus: Claudia O’Doherty cameo!

Love the way the show takes just a wheezing, exhausted and frankly done-to-death genre like pirates and just subverts the shit out of it.

One episode in and if not funny it is amusing which is what I want right now. The ‘scary flag’ making bit and the Royal Navy officers mocking those flags was a hoot. Looking forward to where they will take this as I hear it develops in surprising and satisfying ways.

I’m here for more Taika, after re-watching Jojo Rabbit recently.

Good news! There’s more Stede and Blackbeard on the horizon.

Season 1 is one of the absolute best shows of the year. I loved it so much I watched it twice. Check it out if you haven’t yet!

Wonderful show. I know “it gets better” is a hard sell with all the media out there, but this show truly hits its stride around episode 3-4 imo. Worth giving it at least that long if you were interested going in.

I thought it was ok but not great, though I certainly enjoyed it enough that I’d take a second season. Quite surprisingly queer too with many progressive themes (if a bit misogynistic, but alas, those were of course the times). A very cute central romance, up to a point - for a first kiss it landed with about the same sorta passion I muster when my partner’s been on the garlic bread. On the high seas I guess mouthwash wasn’t that common.