Out of the Park Baseball 20 - Make your team Perfecter!

My diamond team in 20 is 2 games out of 1st, and 1 game above .500.

My perfect team in 19 somehow is within striking distance of a wildcard even though nothing changed with the team. My gold team is leading their division this year after flirting with relegation last year. Again no team changes, just league makeup and the rng.

1 game shy of winning the division, and 1 game shy of grabbing a wildcard as well for my perfect team in 19. They had a 5hr inning in their last game though, netting 9000pp. My gold diamond team in 20 finished middle of the pack. My gold team in 19 made it to the wildcard game, so I’ll have 1 team to keep an eye on tomorrow.

I’m still kicking around in Gold. Went from a couple of games over .500 and a few games back of the WC at the mid-point of the season to having my league’s best record. All with mediocre pitching and hitting. I spent some of my built up reserves to grab a couple of diamond pitchers (a starter and a closer) who either pitched lights out or gave up an insane amount of runs. No idea how I kept winning, but I did.

So now I await the WC winner and the totally unjust RNG to crush my Championship dreams.

I’m still enjoying trying to build my Senators team. They’re stuck in Bronze still but I’m hopeful they will start advancing soon. As for my established teams, Annandale won 101 games and their division, and is currently doing stuff in the playoffs. As for the rest, I avoided the sadness of losing a wild card game by strategically having the teams miss the playoffs!

So my Live Verlander card plays average to below average at best. When I check league stats there are Live Verlander cards all over the top of the rankings. Did the RNG give me a card that will always perform below what the shown ratings are or will my Verlander eventually shake out of his multi-season slump and eventually be a quality pitcher? Are the under the hood variances consistent to a card or do they vary from season to season?

Just spent my 1st season in Diamond and somehow am in the Sub League Series, which means a move up to Perfect League next season. I’m gonna get thrashed.

Park effects can play a fairly big role here. As can defense. But there’s always going to be random variance (and I’ve noticed that my card always sucks relative to all the other ones!!!).

I won my division by a game. Had to run some errands today, so I just got home and checked to find that I won the division series. That means I’m headed to Perfect next season, and likely back down to Diamond the season after. At least, I hope so. The best version of my team is probably good for 75-80 wins in a perfect league, so I could be doomed to an extended stretch of being too bad to earn a lot of PP, but not bad enough to be relegated.

Both of my teams won their divisions but got beat in excruciating fashion in game 5 of the Division Series. Ouch!

Perfect:

Diamond:

I got pounded in my wildcard game 6-0, so it was a short day. My teams are pretty much on auto-pilot while I let PP build up at this point.

Systems based on random numbers can have a wide variance. I did the calculation once, but I forget the exact numbers. Say a players ratings are batting .300 over 600 ABs. Then you play a whole bunch of seasons. All things being equal, 68% of the time that player should perform within one standard deviation. I forget what the 1 SD is for that . I think the range is somewhere around .283 to .317. That’s a pretty wide range.

Thanks. But does a card have a set variation that continues on thru it’s life or is it something that changes every season or some other time frame?

I avenged KWhit’s Atlanta Phoenix by beating the Counts in the LCS. Then…

Awesome!

The acquisition of George Sisler at 1B has worked out for the Squid. After treading water in Gold for a few years, they won back to back World Series (Gold and Diamond) with Sisler being named MVP for both, and MVP of 4 of the playoff series overall. The man can play.

Now to get stomped in Perfect.

Awesome! Congrats!

I don’t know how perfect team works, but in standard OOTP there isn’t any pre programmed variance. There are no programmed hot and cold streaks. The randomness of the system produces hot and cold streaks, but there isn’t anything that forces them. Players performance are based on their ratings.

Injuries can make a players ratings go down, either temporarily or permanently.

Grats @saracen31! I just got Sisler for my Senators team on Friday night (I was looking and looking for Harlond Clift to complete that collection, since he played for the Senators too). Clift showed up Friday evening and I snapped him up without hesitation and got Sisler. Looking forward to see how he performs over a full season.

Sidenote: The mission to get Sisler was an awesome one for my Senators because four of the required cards and the reward all played for the Senators. So it was an extra efficient use of the PP to complete that task.

Last edit to say: only one more mission (2 cards) left for my Senators and then it’s all about saving PP to buy the players I want. I’m so close I can smell it!

I believe PT uses the same system minus injuries.

We had an okay season going in diamond keeping in contention for a wildcard. Then we went 8-20 in August. At they did well enough in the other months that they are avoiding relegation.

Had two teams make the wildcard game. Both lost of course (I swear my record in wildcard games is like 1-15). Two other teams won their divisions, including my Senators, who are coming together nicely (they won 104 games in Bronze).