Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

But now we’ll never find out just how long he was willing to wait!

I don’t know how I didn’t have a closer look at this until now. Wishlisted. Cosmic Osmo and Myst are among my top ten favorite video games of all time. This looks great; I’m concerned about the time-loop mechanic, but if the devs approach it in a smart way it could be amazing. The “Overwhelmingly Positive” Steam rating is encouraging. On the fence between buying it now or waiting for a sale.

They do. And it is. You will start bewildered and a bit overwhelmed. But everything will slowly start clicking into place and making sense as you explore. It’s an amazing game.

Few games I’d recommend as hastily and heartily!

Literally one of the best games of all time.

Playing this now, and it’s great! I have to play with a fan on me, though, because it seems to trigger my motion sickness in a peculiar way. I don’t get dizzy, but I do get increasingly hot and sweaty and a little shaky/woozy after I put it down. Bizarre. I did tighten up the FOV to like 60 or 65 after noticing some fisheye effect near the edges on the default setting. Maybe I should open it again.

I am enjoying this, but broadly speaking the timing of events seems all fucked up. I imagine there will be some “wacky timejinx” explanation for this in the end?

The explanation is the payoff and it’s great.

I’m just picking this up - I’ve played a few ‘cycles’ - just starting to look around.

Holy heck this is amazing.

I might be too dumb for this.

Woohoo! You’ll be just fine I’m sure, Alistair :-)

This is where I bounced hard off this game. I despise being asked to navigate a very frustating jumping puzzle with a time limit that forces you to start all over, which requires flying back out there all over again. Every. Damn. Time.

In general, I just wanted time to explore the system. The style and other mechanics are amazing. I really wanted to like it.

I think if they had added a 30 second rewind so you could redo missed jumps and opportunities it would have gone a long way towards removing any frustrations with the game.

Do what I did, ask your son to make the jumps for you and enjoy the rest of the game. :)

Also, you only need to get inside there once to see what’s inside. And you might not need the info there to complete the game anyway (as far as I remember), depending on how insightful / lucky you are. :)

The more I played, the less I felt the time pressure. You do not have to see everything in a cycle. If I messed something up, I would simply tidy up a few loose ends then kill myself or enjoy the show and go for another loop.

A rewind might be nice, but I think it would also kill some of the mood of this game. All those little things you notice by accident as you restart are quite cool.

Bah. Kind of stuck now. Thirty hours in I think I’ve seen more or less everything, but there are a few locations I don’t know how to access and I’m not sure what to do next. I’ve been steering clear of walkthroughs but it might be time…

For what it’s worth, I got to the same point, and I went ahead and looked up spoilers. I was glad I did. There are some things where you just have to be in the right place at the right time, and if you’ve convinced yourself (as I had) that a particular path is impossible, and you have to solve something else first, you’ll never advance.

So, I say go for it.

I got hints for two things - one nudge to say that yes, there is something to find there if you avoid dying horribly in the dark under time pressure again, and then a way into a location that should possibly have been obvious if I hadn’t been overwhelmed by the overall gravito-planetrary kinetics, man.

So now I think I have all the info… and don’t know what to do with it :)

Going to sleep on it.

aaaand I’ve just died for about the tenth time trying to get through this tedious and fiddly solution. This game has really gone a long way to squandering all the good will it built up in the actual game with this crappy end sequence.

What bit is it specifically that you’re having difficulty with Alistair?

I finally made it. Thankfully that last fall to my death was the only one in the game that didn’t reset everything. Now to read the thread!

Ok, having calmed down I agree with everything in the thread. Best game ever :)

I love how person after person complains about reaching the Ash Twin Poject and @divedivedive is like ‘I found this one weird place…’ I didn’t think that was an unclear puzzle incidentally… There is lore that explains why it works that way. Having said that I had to look up the execution for it, if not the theory :)

I did kind of expect bigger roles for the Quantum Moon and Interloper or more broadly that the wild planetary behaviours would be due to crazy Nomai experiments. But no, seems like it was like that when they got here :) I do wonder how much the Newtonian style ship and jetpack add. For some people, those are probably a barrier to enjoyment, and simpler movement might have been better on balance for them, if at the cost of a few things.

Anyway 22/22. Would play for (another) 39 hours.

I’m wary of spoilers, so I haven’t read through the thread. I’ve got serious gamers ennui right now and I find myself going back and forth among games I’ve played already just to occupy my time. Skyrims, Fallouts, Mass Effects, etc… I’m just bored. This game is on sale. Is it worth a go?