Outward: An Adventure Life Simulator (RPG) by indie developer Nine Dots

Yeah. 90% of it looks no better than, say, an Xbox 360/PS3-era game. And there’s the occasional bit that’s just really pretty- see also: the PC/clothes/backpacks/lanterns.

The new version, as far as I can tell, has a slight bit better fog/smoke in a few areas, and they cranked the HDR up got some glowy bits and fire. Still, it’s an opportunity to get into those DLCs I never touched, including (I think?) yet another magic system! And that’s not even counting the new weapon enchantment system.

This just popped up on my radar while looking for something to potentially try after Elden Ring. I don’t mind some jank if there is some interesting stuff there.

Tried some on the PS5, but the default controls were rough with no way to configure them. It also wasn’t hitting a locked 60 in spite of the non-cutting edge graphics. That lead to terrible screen tearing.

Switched over to the PC and tweaked the settings to get a stable sixty frames and enabled v sync so the tearing is fixed. Customized the controls to more closely match a Souls game and that made the combat click a lot better.

Now I’m dealing with annoying bugs. One of the first fetch quests didn’t work. Entering one area automatically puts me back outside and usually locks the game up. I’m a little hesitant to deep dive on this one at the moment.

Really happy to see this. I’ve played this a lot in co-op recently, beating one of the quest lines, and am now running through the Three Brothers DLC. I had some whiplash with this one… just stumbling around trying to figure out how anything worked or what to do got a little frustrating. For us, we ended up just googling some things, getting that together, and ended up having a great time since then. Maybe a little more direction would have helped us but maybe that’s antithetical to what the game is going for. Either way, once we looked a few things up to get our progress up and running, a bunch of things started to fall into place and we’ve had a great time ever since. Not sure I’ve ever played anything quite like it.

Yay! I loved this game in all its janky glory. I was actually replaying it a couple weeks ago while waiting for DDogma 2- finally getting to the expansion material that I picked up way back. It is such it’s own thing, and it remains pretty cool if you can get into it.

Glad to see the sequel is moving along. The environments look like a massive upgrade (easily the worst part of the original), and the voiceover makes it sound like they are keeping the basic premise of ‘just a dude in the world’.

Seems they stick with the same world and lore as well. Those 2 bickering gods seem to be Elatt, the original “god” from the first Outward and Calixa, in whose * checks dictionary * …apotheosis you were involved in during the Holy Mission main quest.

I’m happy to see the devs are still around and are working on a sequel. Day one purchase, probably, it’s just the right kind of janky for my taste. =^.^=

With the Embracer desaster still looming, a lot of the smaller develops around the glove were thrown under the bus, and with the massive layoffs right now the industry seems in a rather dire state. But hey, anything to make the fat cat’s meaningless numbers go BRRRR…