Oxygen Not Included: Klei space colony sim

I have successfully constructed a closed loop bathroom with three toilets, two showers, and three sinks!

I have two water sivs going but it looks like i’m putting out more water ?? I can see the dirty water blobs starting to build up a bit.

So I constucted one water storage unit. But I don’t want it to fill all the way up obv or it’ll kill my loop.

I’ve taken to turning it on/off as needed but there has to be a better way. Is there like an outflow valve or something?

I see a water bridge item but the description on that leaves me puzzled…

To keep the algae oxidizers pumping enough I make sure to have good airflow through my base. I have a central shaft with a ladder and fire pole, and well as ladders connecting the top and bottom of my living area on the edges. I have mesh tiles as the top of doors and walls (mainly so hydrogen doesn’t get stuck in a room) and occasional airflow tiles where I notice pockets of pressure forming.

When I get around to building an electrolizer for oxygen I’ll pipe that through a chiller of some sort and then create loops of ducts with vents along the perimeter of my main base to feed the oxygen into.

I think you are looking for a liquid vent.

Note that if you are going to build a large pit to dump liquid into, single tile walls and floor will leak with enough weight of liquid. A large tank needs to be double walled. I don’t know the threshold for when you need to double wall things.

As you add more guys, don’t forget to use schedules to stagger their shower and toilet usage. You can have a dozen guys but still just have 2-3 toilets.

I’ve been playing a little too much of this again and it’s changing how my brain works. I’m currently at my house up in the high desert of the sierra foothills and it’s hot out there. I don’t like running the AC, I mean why waste the power and contribute unnecessarily to the eventual heat death of the universe. I went to make some soup and since I don’t want to heat up the house too much I started thinking about the overall efficiency and thermal effect on the envelope of the house should I microwave it or make it on the range.

Fortunately it gets cool at night, due to my being on the border of a cold mountainous biome. I have a weather station and I’ve set up some home automation to warn me when it’s cooler outside than inside, and vice vera, so I can open up all the windows and let the cool air flow through. But I have to do the actual opening and can’t help but thinking I need to wire up some mechanized airlocks to my house.

Anyway, here’s a shot of the industrial room I’ve built around my first attempt to capture a geyser and make use of steam power. The geyser is about to go dormant and I’m internally debating whether to take the opportunity to completely redo the whole steam setup to be more directly over the geyser and/or maybe make the current turbine dedicated to the smelter setup. The aquatuner in there currently is just gold so I’m limited on the steam temperature and thus power output.

Sorry if I’m spamming the topic. I can only assume that it isn’t getting more activity because the people playing it have fallen into the rabbit hole of the game.

This is the ultimate QT3 game. It’s worse than “just one more turn”. Both game time and real time can seem to suspend to the subject as you watch your latest system pump away to see if it is working as expected. Meanwhile in both reality and the game time is it zooming by. Only later you find you accidentally cut off the water supply to your bathrooms and your dupes have been peeing everywhere. Even though your new oxygen supply has been pumping perfectly for days you now have a mess to clean up. Worse yet, back in actual reality it’s well past 3am.

For those that are playing and can understand, I just uncovered this.

oxygent%20not%20included%20steam%20vent%20stats

ONI is one of my favourite games of all time already. The coherent whole with all the interactions and possibilities is incredibly satisfying and fun.

Where other colony builders thrive on just throwing in huge amounts of shallower systems to create a large “base” ONI is a more focused experience. ONI has less “stuff” but all the parts are much better designed and implemented, which I really like.
A lot of the content and interesting construction challenges are tied to a quite a large amount of play time however. I could see how people trying the game don’t recognize the greatness after a couple of hours and are just done with it after a bit.

I’m pretty sure, like with RimWorld, I’ll be dipping into this for a few dozen hours every quarter (or year). It’s incredibly fun to tinker with, challenge yourself with, etc. I only got to play a day or so with 1.0 before going on a long trip, but am really looking forward to getting into it full swing next month. And for whatever expansions are coming in the future - Klei has all my trust.

This is totally me. I am pretty much obsessed with my current colony. I finally have a colony with a shot at the imperatives. I’ve fulfilled the “Home Sweet Home” imperative, and I am now looking into making liquid hydrogen for the “Great Escape” one. Unfortunately, the colony have developed quite an addiction for petroleum based power, and has all but run out of petroleum. It’s being used faster than the refineries can produce it, so something has to be done about that first. 900 cycles in, and the colony is still at some risk of total collapse. I love this game!

I’m also loving the game. I’m more than 120 hours in and still on the left side of the Chick Parabola.
900 cycles wow, is that typical for finishing up a rocket?

I’ve haven’t made it past 100 before restarting. I love that just when you think you’ve got a handle on the game some new crisis is always looming.

In the last game, I was running out of coal and I couldn’t figure out why my stupid hatch range wasn’t making any. It turns out that I’d had my folks sweep everything in the ranch in my desperate attempt to keep from running out of coal. For some reason, I thought that hatches ate the rock they buried themselves into. So I was making a bad situation much worse in that my hatches were all starving.

The silver lining is I was little terrified the heat of the natural gas geyser. But necessity is the mother of invention I uncorked it and get my Natural Gas generating up and run just as the coal run out. Still it was such a mess, I restarted having learned a lot.

Beside the obvious of not sweeping ranching, is there an easy way of feeding hatches?
Thinking long term what are the most valuable resources?

I’m making the assumption that neither sand, nor sandstone are very valuable. In particular, feeding hatches a diet of primarily sandstone seems like a good idea as long as your are still using coal plants.

So my question is the logistics of doing this. I thought of having a storage box set to only accept sandstone and then periodically deconstructing it to let the hatches eat it. I don’t want have my Dups emptying out all of the sandstone in my storage boxes scattered around. There must be a better way? (Pre- conveyor belts etc. I know eventually I’ll have to deal with conveyor belt but , Factorio gave me nightmares so I really don’t want to deal with it.).

Use a Critter Feeder! Easy peasy.

Ugh, I assume that’s true of all geysers. What the hell are you suppose to do your geyser producing natural gas or hydrogen shuts down for 30 cycle? Or is that part of the game.

Thanks somehow I missed that. I assume your dups automatically will keep it supplied in the same way they do a coal generator?

Edit is there any way to specify what goes in the feeder, or for that matter figure out what is in one?. In particular I don’t want Algae in it.

Tapping several helps. Creating reservoirs for the downtime (large rooms are enough).
Having alternative energy sources with their own reservoirs for the downtime.

You can analyze the geyser to determine when and for how long it goes dormant so you can plan for it.

In my current power setup I have a few types of generators set to run based on different smart batteries. My two steam generators will kick in first if they are hot enough and charge up to 95%. Then the hydrogen generator that I have burning any excess hydrogen I have. After that the natural gas generators (which I just relocated into a fancy new power plant near my industrial area), finally I’ve got multiple coal generators to fall back on that will only kick in at 0% battery. I’ve also been adding storage tanks for natural gas since I’m not yet using all of it that comes out. That will bridge some of the dormant period.

This is my geyser and gas storage and was my original power producing area. If I had planned better, I’d have made the geyser area larger and put gas storage tanks inside it for maximum storage. You can see the geyser analysis that shows in just under 33 cycles it will become dormant.

You can also see 4 of my backup coal generators. There’s also an example of how I deal with slime and germy stuff. That’s my advanced model chlorine pit where I’ve added a pump to remove any CO2 that might get in there. The water over the storage chests prevents the slime from outgassing.

Way over on the other side of my base, over by the cool steam geyser I’ve haphazardly built my industry around, is my fancy new power plant building.

I ended up using my cool steam vent’s last dormancy to contain it better and put a steam generator setup right over it. I’m still waiting for it to come up to temp for it’s first firing. Now I’ve got cooling loops galore!

I split up the area where I had originally contained the geyser. I now have the pool of water forming under the geyser, an initial cooling pool driven by a steel aquatuner in the chamber with the geyser, and finally the original cooling pool setup I built. From the final water cooling loop there’s a temperature controlled valve that will send water into the giant loop that goes through my entire main colony area, feeding all the toilets and and showers and everything else and looping the excess back to be re-cooled if necessary. This provides water and acts to keep the base temperature steady.

The main base loop:

This game has made me a little loopy.

And the automation that keeps everything running and at the right temps.

While I’m at this, a looping tutorial:

There are a couple of key things to understand about plumbing/vents in this game and that is how inputs and outputs work.

An input will take up everything it can from the pipe coming into it, and if there’s a pipe going past toward another input whatever is left will continue in that direction.

An output will only put out if there is room in the pipe it is connected to.

Using this we can set up a loop through a device that also continues to loop when that device isn’t running. We use two bridges. Take a look at this example (note this isn’t a perfect example due to the T and the large gas gap but is the clearest one in my current map to demonstrate the idea).

Take a look at direction of the two bridges and how they are hooked up. The one on top has an input that is connected to the (currently idle) thermo-regulator’s output. The pipe then goes down to a radiant cooling loop somewhere else and the hydrogen comes back up the pipe on the left. That T’s off to the input of the send bridge and the input of the thermo-regulator so whichever one is taking up will do so. The two outputs of the bridges are one after the other so if the first bridge is outputting it will block the second bridge.

When the regulators are outputting their output will take priority. Since that bridge comes first it will fill the pipe, the output on the second bridge will be blocked, thus the input of that bridge is blocked, and everything things will back to the input of the regulators.

When the regulator shuts off gas is no longer flowing through into first bridge, the output of the second bridge is unblocked and now it’s input will take up causing things to loop from that point.

Thanks I’ve read the wiki on how plumbing works several times. But the real world example is very helpful.

Still overall I look at your world and it is like trying to read a much better programmers code, I kinda of get what’s going on but not really. I mostly realize how much more there is to learn.

My most sophisticated close loops thing I’ve made are lavatory water sieves and Natural gas, carbon skimmer. But I’ve graduated from oh shit, I’ll deconstruct the blocked pipe, too, “maybe if I put a switch I can keep the system working longer,”, to now I calculate how much extra water I generate from the lavatory usage vs Bristle Bloom irrigation, and then use an adjustable valve to release the water back into the system. At some point I’ll figure out how to used all the sensors etc. But right now the dup is banging on the Rock crusher refining ore. So I don’t have the capabilities of doing a lot of that stuff.

I seem to be able to research stuff much faster than I can use. Is that common?

I’m only about 20 cycles into my first game and I’ve researched a lot that I can’t use, and I don’t even really know how I’m supposed to be able to use them. I’ve much to learn.

I’d agree it’s easy to research past your means to use that research once past the very early stage of the game. Through the game prompts you as if you need to always research things, there are points where, for example, rather than research the next power technology it’s better to have your guys digging and exploring to see if you can find the resource it requires.

I’m sure it’s possible to go in with a plan and a spreadsheet and build things in a way that makes the pace of research a limiting factor.

I’ve always concentrated on getting a 7 researcher at the beginning. I think I’m going to just a get 3 in the future. I’m also never going to get Narcolepsy with a rancher in the future. It’s taken forever to tame my hatches because the guy keeps falling asleep during the night right in the middle of grooming (This despite him having the Night Owl perk)

Some more questions. I know there are penalties for not having enough morale to select a new skill, outside of your favorites. But are the benefits to having high morale? It doesn’t appear that there are any.

As a follow on do you need to worry about things like Decor for the first 100 or so cycles? It seems making sure everybody has Mess Table, a cot, and lavatory is really all you need for quite some time.

I turn off making Liceloaf as soon as my Bristol blooms come on line because 50K of water seems like a waste of water. But most games I have a big surplus of food and now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just keep my people eating meal lice and not worr about the -1 morale. Or should I just turn off harvesting them meal lice?

The first rockets were much earlier. This is the last tier hydrogen fueled rocket. It is my first time getting this far, so I don’t know if it’s typical. I would suspect that I’m a bit slow though.