Paladins - It's also totally not Overwatch

http://www.paladins.com/

From Hi-Rez, the makers of Smite. Slated for 2016 launch. Objective-based first-person shooter.

How many of these are there now?

The twist here? Card collecting for powers.

Hmmm. Well, at least they have some experience at it. If it doesn’t tank and get left to die.

Just like overwatch is totally not team fortress?

I don’t think any of these F2P objective-based shooters are worried about TF2. Yes, they’re all cut from the same cloth, but TF2 is old. These new games are primarily competing with Overwatch and to a lesser extent Dirty Bomb. Overwatch is the one that’s going to eat everyone’s lunch.

Well, it was known they were doing something in that “terrain”. Scifi and shooter. People were expect Global Agenda 2, actually.

At least one of these games has to be fun, right?

The art style is so generic, lol.

edit: it was also “coming” because you could notice how Smite is starting to dwindle down a bit. For example, HiRez marketing efforts. It went from two permanent channels in Twitch, to one permanent channel, to one channel that is off half of the time. And for the second world tourney they capped off the money to $1M, after the first tourney having $1.4M as reward, which was suspicious. Surely they knew they were going to obtain less and to not give the impression of the game going back in popularity, they put the limit.

Smite is still growing quite quickly, the channel consolidation isn’t reflective of quantity.

The money capping was to make sure they have good prizes all year instead of crap prizes and one huge one. There is more money total being given out this year than last year by far. With the new structure of the pro league they wanted incentive all year round.

Uh. I discovered by chance (for once the recommend Youtube videos did their purpose) that there is already gameplay videos of this game. It looks like these:

Presentation

Long gameplay videos

…What is Hirez doing?

The strident sound, the bland textures, the animation glitches, the physics, the ugly-ish weapons, the amount of placeholder art (including visual icons and sounds from Smite!), it all looks pretty bad. Now, I know it surely is that way because the game is in pre-alpha but… it’s really really prealpha, the type you don’t still show to the public. Battleborn, Overwatch or LawBreakers looked better in their respective unveilings, and that’s the competition.

I suppose that’s the key. They have hefty competition coming in the next months, lots of big players coming to the same market cornet, so they had to show something to start being noticed.

Personally, I haven’t been impressed with anything HiRez has done. Global Agenda and Tribes: Ascend were both games I was really interested in but ended up being very, very blah to me.

I think Smite is profitable for them. It just launched on Xbox One and seems to be well-received.

I didn’t care for it on PC, but I haven’t checked it out in a long time, so it may be really good now. I kind of doubt it though, just based on my past experience with Hi-Rez.

Why 8 years later did it dawn on anyone to make TF2 clones? I mean why now?

Everyone got distracted by MMOs and MOBAs to make mad-money.

Plus, keep in mind that TF2 didn’t go F2P until June 2011 with the Uber Update. I think it took a while for people to realize that TF2 was making the kind of money it was and that you didn’t necessarily need a Steam-style backend to implement F2P mechanics.

Beta started, there is no NDA. I’m in, alas, I’m too deep into Fallout 4 and later CoE4 to play right now.

I’m also in, Harkonis in game. friend me up. I’m happy to be in a beta that allows streaming. Since I stream it always felt like a bit of a downer that I get to beta test but can’t stream.

Oh, ok, then I have a beta key to spare, people. Send me a PM if interested.

The game isn’t clicking with me. It’s very casual, the equivalent of Heroes of the Storm, except of ‘Hero Shooters’, instead of MOBA.

There is single capture point to fight for, so every time both teams go there and make a clusterfuck of a fight (with lots of explosive spam in the point) until one of the two survives, then the siege engine appears and basically it’s guaranteed to destroy one of the enemy gates, even if players don’t help. There isn’t a feeling of being able to mount a good defence which the attackers have to crack open like in Payload in TF2/Overwatch or Rush in BF or like Dirty Bomb, and because there is a single CP it can’t be compared to Conquest of BF or Domination of CoD, it’s more static.
Abilities aren’t that exciting, usually they are one damage, one utility and one escape.
Weapons don’t have ADS, they also don’t use magazine and the ammo is unlimited. What’s the point of making a hero shooter then, they could have used the fact there are several different heroes to use different mechanics, some with weapons with ironsights, other without it, some with magazines, others with a heat limit, others unlimited.

The game also uses a worrying mechanic, as it may be pay-to-win. I’m talking of the card system, they give passive bonus like +40% damage! so players that pay to win more epic / legendary cards have an advantage.

Also, this time they don’t have the excuse of “our characters are sexy because they are classical gods, which were depicted like that a lot of times!”

Tits of the old Lara croft. And that bare midriff…

Tits and ass in one shot, the broken spine pose!

So has anyone else tried the open beta yet? I played one round vs AI and one casual match vs people, and I’m not sure what to think yet. I would like to try it more, unfortunately I’m getting really bad ping on the current servers (why no Asian servers?). What I’m really curious is how the gameplay compares to Overwatch. I haven’t played OW yet, though I’m pretty sure that it is much more polished than this. That said, this is pretty fun though.

I tried it yesterday. It’s a cheap version of Overwatch (even if they started the development before OW was released). It has worse graphics, worse art style, worse sound, worse gunplay, less interesting interaction between classes… and I didn’t was a fan of OW.
You can have some fun playing it but… it seems a dip in quality in comparison to Tribes Ascend and Smite.

It’s a lot different than it was when they first started beta, they have slowly turned it into an Overwatch clone. I actually like it better than OW though. Part of that is the customization. I really enjoy each player having their own build for a character.

Fired it up and ended up playing 7 hours. quite fun. fwiw I thought Tribes Ascend was pretty shitty quality though I was a big fan of Smite.

It has a strange ‘feel’ to it. It is like I’m somehow not connected to my character (no, not emotionally). Not really sure how to explain it, and I may simply need to play it more.