Palworld: Ark, but with Pokemon and Warcrimes

Okay. Straight away, this isn’t exactly my jam. But I feel we need to talk about the elephant leafy mammoth thing Mammorest in the room.

So…this here:

…just sold over 2.000.000 units in about 24 hours. The mind boggles. The mind boggles even more when you see the pictures and try to make sense of it.

At it’s core, it’s a survival game. Biff a tree, harvest resources, build a hut, hunt for food, build a bigger beatstick, you know the drill.

The closest thing on the market so far is probably Ark: Survival Evolved (because the devs programming skills sure as hell haven’t), but instead of prehistoric monstrosities, you have off-brand Pokemon.
According to some coworkers who are dedicated to buying shitty games about children’s cockfighting tournaments the Pokemon franchise, the designs are a one and a half recolours, a wig and a name change away from copyright infringement.

So, since said adorable creatures also serve as food source, source of slave prison labour and source of raw materials, the routine is that you beat the critters into submission, capture them into a totally-not-a-pokeball called a palsphere and then either use them for food or to man the means of production in your base.
You’re required to feed them and keep them healthy, and I’m not sure at this point whether they can die of old age.
They have various handy abilities - you can also ride them, use them as improvised weapon, attack dog (and arm them for shit and giggles) or just kill them for parts - yep, we’re using all parts of the Pal on this island, buddy.

On an unrelated side note, there’s also some human NPCs. Who, incidentally, can also be put into a palsphere and then either sold for hefty profit or used as food source. No, I’m not joking. Rimworld sends its regards and would like to request a few dozen livers while you’re here.

Exploration isn’t all that great, mostly due to lack of interesting loot or POIs, you usually find mostly ammo and palspheres. The “missions” at this stage boil down to “capture 10 of this sort” for experience bonuses.

Visually, the game has tonal clashes similar to Craftworld. The weapons look remarkably realistic. The Pals look remarkably like you-know-what. The humans look remarkably like anime protagonists from a different franchise, and the environment definitely came from a another asset pack as well.

I’m unsure if this is simply the greatest fad game to grace the PC in the last 5 years, or if there is indeed an untapped potential in the overlap of pokemon fans and people who build organ harvesting farms in Rimworld.

And with this, I shall be off to pursue some more wholesome entertainment, like making the elders of my cult duel to the death, then sacrifice the winner to the eldritch gods for good measure.

All of the hue and cry about “animal slavery/cruelty” feels to me like people scratching around for stuff to complain about. It’s a survival/automation game where instead of building a bunch of conveyor belts and automatic machines you use Pals. I do think the ability to capture and use humans is a bit over the top.

I’ve seen some takes (that I agree with) that it’s not “Pokeman with guns” but rather “Survival/Building with creatures to help you” - that the building and automation are really the main focus of the game. That said, the creature capturing does add an additional feature which seems to be pretty engaging.

It’s a shame that the exploration aspects are fairly drab. But I guess if we’re talking about the game being a survival builder I suppose it makes sense.

Palworld is by the developers of Craftopia, a somewhat charming, pretty janky building/lite exploring game that launched in 2020 and is still in Early Access. I haven’t played it for a hot minute, but Craftopia had a bit of meh combat, pretty terrible copy pasta dungeons, and lots of building/automation. So it’s clear to me how Palworld is an evolution upon that design.

They’ve been patching Craftopia pretty regularly, but a lot of the larger issues are still there. And the jank is permanent. Is Craftopia ‘done’? It’s hard to say, since it’s mostly a sandbox game. But I would be shocked if development didn’t slow down or stop on it with the developers moving on to Palworld.

So on the one hand, I’m a bit leery to buy (into) Palworld since it feels like the devs have a middling track record. But on the other hand, I can see that Palworld is an evolution on the ideas implemented in Craftopia. Plus, with the way the game has blown up, seems like Palworld will have enough of a high profile that the devs can justify continued development on the title.

And if it turns out to be a middling survival crafter that you spend 40 to 50 hours playing and move on, I’m ok with that. Oh, my download of Palworld just finished, got to go!

On a technical level, I can reliably inform you its miles ahead of Craftopia so you can set that worry aside!

I played a few hours of this today with my son. It’s sure janky and feels like an early access game, but it’s also surprisingly addictive.

Someone said this was a game that shows how Pokemon would be used IRL under late-stage capitalism, and that’s a big part of the appeal.

This leapt out at me as well. The screenshots remind me of Youtubers running around the world of RDR2 or Fallout with their character reskinned as a cartoon anime girl.

Occasionally games come out gang busters reminding me there’s apparently a large part of the gaming world whose venn diagram doesn’t overlap w/ mine at all.

My 14 year old wants to get this after I mentioned it this morning. I’m on a no new game buying thing but I’m about to grab two copies for us I think. I’m not a big survivor game guy but I rarely turn down a gaming opp with the kids.

Played a couple of hours this morning. The game definitely has that “just one more thing” aspect to it, since you’re always trying to do 20 things at once.

This is a reminder that it’s also on Game Pass (console at least, PC, too, I think).

This sounds janky and dumb as Hell. I can’t imagine why anyone would…

Take my money.

Gotta say, despite all the obvious jank and bugginess, this game got it’s hooks into me, like, first-two-years-of-World-of-Warcraft hard. Up til almost 3 last night playing it. The collecting and leveling your adorable little workers and then optimizing your base infrastructure gameplay loop is a lot of good fun.

No idea how long it’ll last, but I’m under its spell for the foreseeable.

I will skip this because the tone in marketing feels so wrong. These are excerpts of the game description on its Steam page:

Pals can be used to fight, or they can be made to work on farms or factories.
You can even sell them or eat them!

To survive, you must tread carefully and make difficult choices…even if that means eating your own Pals when the time comes.

Put an army of Pals on the job. Don’t worry; there are no labor laws for Pals.

Build a factory, place a Pal in it, and they’ll keep working as long as they’re fed—until they’re dead, that is.

Endangered Pals live in wildlife sanctuaries. Sneak in and capture rare Pals to get rich quick! It’s not a crime if you don’t get caught, after all.

I know they’re going for an “edgy” tone, but it irks me. I didn’t like that kind of thing when I was a child/teen, and as an adult (of the “get off my lawn” kind) I actively dislike that now.

As for the game, maybe it’s fun? I hope those who buy and play it have fun with it, but it’s just not my thing.

What is going on, my Steam friends list is all like bought Palworld, bought Palworld, bought Palworld, bought Palworld, bought Palworld, bought Palworld.

I assume this is what the youths today consider fun?

No, THIS is what the youths today consider fun:

Which ties into the “edgy tone” rhamorim mentioned…

Well, I guess it’s a lark, and maybe I would have given it a look, but the separate parts clash a bit too hard for my taste. I do wonder if this will still be pulling records numbers 2 weeks from now, though.

And I wonder if and how the whole affair might affect the releases of the two “other” upcoming survival games, Enshrouded and Nightingale.

I’d say anytime you try and make a game with cutesy anime monsters, you’re going to run up against the sensitive Pokemon fan feelings. They’ll get over it.

Kind of curious about this since it blew up, but not only is it still early access, but the version on Game Pass is apparently even earlier access, with reports that it’s lagging months behind the Steam build.

Also…

For added fun, I think you can safely substitute “humans” for “pals” in all these statements based on what I’ve read.