Paradox Announces Cities: Skyline - Huge Cities, Offline Play, & More!

I actually don’t like listening to game sound tracks. Years ago I thought it was awesome, and then I realized I never actually listened to them, so after burning a few and putting them in my car I realized they just remind me of playing a game I either A) was done playing or B) wanted to play, so listening to the music outside of that activity was kinda silly. Soundtracks do nothing for me - in fact I tend to turn the music off in most games, as it can often be a distraction (mostly in strategy games or something long-form I tend to play for hours at a time, hearing the same tune repeated for said hours).

I’m sure they must be an incentive to some people, but for the life of me, I can’t think why. The average game soundtrack is dull, repetitive, and just not that interesting to listen to. Every once in a while, I’ll hear one and think a track sounds good enough to put into a playlist, but even then, it’s only one track.

Almost every game releasing on Steam now offers a “digital art book” and game soundtrack, they’re worth exactly zero to me. Especially for games that haven’t even launched. Enidigim has it. Why should anyone care about a soundtrack they’ve never heard?

I can’t help but agree - I like art books but only go through them exactly once and then they sit on a shelf. Though, that said, I care even less about digital art books I can’t actually hold and enjoy IRL. I have some really nice hard cover art books (from Blizzard for instance) that I’m proud to have access to, despite never actually picking them up and skimming through them. They don’t influence a purchase decision on their own.

Still, I’d rather delux editions offered lame sound tracks, digital art books I don’t care about, and a few buildings I wouldn’t want to build as it saves me $10. :)

Can you send me copies? ;) I’m a soundtrack fanatic.

Although to be fair, I have most of Andreas Waldentoft’s stuff (Paradox music director) on my various music players, so I do like some game music. I just need to hear it first, you know.

Quick solution to those vexed by pre-order bonuses and crappy ‘deluxe’ editions: Don’t buy them.

Obviously. It’s more grousing over why they offer them than debating whether we should get them.

A new let’s play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrvmGSwPnQ

Not too keen on the commentator but at least you can see the game in action from the beginning.

It looks really good. Really been wanting a good city builder.

Indeed, I think anyone expecting this to be the greatest thing needs to try those and moderate their excitement. That’s not to say they can’t pull this off, just… CiM is a touch mediocre.

Honey badger don’t give a shit.

GMG has this up for pre-order with a 20% off voucher, I caved in and got it. For $24 it seems like a good deal.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/cities-skylines/

CODE: KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND

Saw this picture over on GAF , my only issue is lots of bland looking buildings.

Also a the FAQ is located here : Cities Skylines Faq – Sky Lines CIty

How big will the maps be?

The map consists of tiles. The maximum city size is 9 map tiles, one map tile is 2km x 2km. Players start with the first one and then unlock more land for their city. Players get to choose the tiles from 25 tiles on the map. The area is all seamless so pretty huge cities can be developed.

The cities can be 36 square km, and not necessarily in a square. However there is an option to uncouple the limitation and go bigger, dependant on the player’s hardware.

It looks darn-tootin’ fine to me. Old school pipes!

These info views look glorious.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?833752-Cities-Skylines-�-Dev-Diary-9-Info-Views

This is looking more and more like a must buy.

I may or may not have already purchased it.

Watching that youtube video of 30-some minutes of gameplay footage has clinched it for me. Bought.

That GMG coupon has sealed a purchase for me

It does look interesting, however, I am going to wait a little while before buying. Sim City online seemed fantastic until it launched and people started to play it.

Twitch Stream NOW

Also over on reddit I saw this , big maps are possible! Squeeeeeeeeeeee!