Paris shootings: Casualties in city centre and explosion at Stade de France

You could’ve not said anything right now about this, actually, and not been this gracelessly tin-eared.

I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at. I agree the West, as we understand it, has to decide what it wants and what it is, and then act accordingly. The options you describe are, I think, part of that process. But once we figure out or agree on who we are–then what? We can’t just ignore the rest of the world, as it comes to us.

You are a better person than I am trigger.

@realDonaldTrump Jan 7
Isn’t it interesting that the tragedy in Paris took place in one of the toughest gun control countries in the world?

And this probably sums it up:

@Ugarles 8m8 minutes ago
“What happened in Paris is terrible. My takeaway is [opinion I had before the bombing].”

I don’t get it Trig; is it to be “gracelessly tin-eared” to note those commenting on current political topics in relation to the Paris attacks or only to agree with them?

Edit: Reports are now that 5 attackers total have been killed. Authorities are now moving busloads of people out of Le Bataclan.

Unsurprising.

is it to be “gracelessly tin-eared” to note those commenting on current political topics in relation to the Paris attacks or only to agree with them?

If your first impulse in this is to make a political point, then my first impulse is to at least consider it graceless, at least for a second.

I will not necessarily say whether or not I agree with Ms. Miller about her stance on that particular subject (college campuses), though it might surprise you if I did. What I will say is that this is a particularly awful time to state it, especially when it is such a tangential, weird, and unrelated thing to tie to these events in the first place. Her statement is a ridiculous, virtual George Bluth standing next to a one-armed guy saying “And that’s why you never protest at a university.”

If there’s politics to discuss, it probably should center on those who seem to have done this and the “what now?” aspect of that question. It is to wonder if this will be tied back to ISIS, what it means now that they have seemingly picked a fight with both Russia and the EU.

As someone who was a college activist, I take a dim view of my former colleagues. For a number of reasons.

The safe space movement though? It’s a children’s crusade.

He’s actually wrong. France has relatively liberal gun laws.

The first part was sarcasm. Gotta have the sarcasm when i’m upset.

You have to do what you think those beliefs compel you to do. The only reason I oppose legalization of prostitution, for ex., is because (as far as I have read) it increases sex trafficking and exploitation of women. The problem is that is not a perfect solution; there will still be circumstances where this makes it unfair for some women in some circumstances, but the net result is positive. Which means you have to live with yourself and those negative consequences.

If we really believe that some religious beliefs are oppressive, those practices should be banned, like we banned polygamy among the Mormons. But that would increasingly lead to the kinds of confrontations and “defining of values” i think most governments are simply terrified of having. Which not only means preventing them at home but also not supporting them indirectly abroad. But like i said, ironically this also leads to bad ends! Saudi Arabia is a relatively stable country surrounded by chaos, but they’re also basket cases themselves. Letting the Saudis fall might be satisfying but also would cause untold misery and disruptions.

In other words, next we blow up a country, we own it. That is, we run it, pay for it, govern it, and westernize it.

As usual with important events, the Guardian is running a liveblog. It’s one of the better places to get info without the hysteria or misinformation of social media or the blather of TV.

That’s the French Ambassador. The employees of the State Department won’t be voting for Trump.

Any news on the status of the band, including Josh H?

Does the Vatican statement say what I think it does? This is real and not a hoax?

Here in the Vatican we are following the terrible news from Paris. We are shocked by this new manifestation of maddening, terrorist violence and hatred which we condemn in the most radical way together with the Pope and all those who love peace. We pray for the victims and the wounded, and for all the French people. This is an attack on peace for all humanity, [B]and it requires a decisive, supportive response on the part of all of us as we counter the spread the homicidal hatred in all of its forms.[/B]

Trying to figure out if I’ve been fooled.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense, really; you can’t make good policy without self-honesty.

Josh wasn’t with them. A band on the same bill tweeted that the other members were with them and fine, but still waiting on confirmation.

Attack apparently occured while the EODM were playing.

Trump tweet is from January, btw. My bad.

(As a political aside, it can’t be good for him that it’s being heavily circulated on social media atm.)

The English French live website just said shame on Newt for that if they had guns comment.

Well, thanks for filling this thread with selective comments you find offensive and then get upset when people in turn, you know, comment on them.

I thought that France had fairly strict gun control that got even more strict after Charlie Hebdo?

Pope John Paul II’s statement on 9/11, for comparison:

I add my voice to all the voices raised in these hours to express indignant condemnation, and I strongly reiterate that the ways of violence will never lead to genuine solutions to humanity’s problems.

Fightin’ Francis is pissed.

“To all those who have seen these awful things, I want to say we are going to lead a war which will be pitiless.” - Hollande.

I believe him.