Path of Exile

Wait until maps.

Roger that.

Gotta love gladiator’s explosions (+ a little taste of how endgame bosses look like - in this case the regular version though):

Holo moly, I’ve never had a 5L drop before!

Is it better to have a 5L rare drop, or a 5L normal drop? Seems likely the latter…

Neither, both are likely vendor trash.

So you’re saying trading is the only real viable way to get the 5L items you want? That the chances are too low just via normal play?

EDIT: I remember when I found some 5L stuff for my dual totem witch back in version 2.1. I tried and tried and tried to keep using chromatic orbs to change the colors on 5L chests until I could get the right colors. I never got it perfect. I did get one that were all the right color, but the fifth link wasn’t attached to all the others. That one I chose to make a rare, and it got pretty good properties, I think. But I was then forever trying to use fusing orbs to try to connect that fifth link, but it never happened. In fact, I think one of the links got broken, and I had to take all my skills to a different peace. It was a complete mess. I’ve never been able to make the 5L piece I want.

White 5L a couple days into league costs 1 chaos - whatever you find in the wild likely won’t be the correct base for your build and if you end up with a rare it will very likely have shit stats (on top of being on a shit base). Either way, you’ll have to reroll it with orbs which can get costly if you get carried away, so buying a 5L with the stats you want is pretty much always a better option.

As for colors - stat requirements determine the color bias - ie, a str only chest will have strong bias towards red colors and it will be nearly impossible to roll something like 1R3B2G on a 6 socket strength chest. Google ‘vorici calculator’, type in item’s requirements and you’ll get an estimate on the amount of orbs you’d need to hit the desired colors.

Also never try to 5 link an item with only 5 sockets, only if it has 6 and a sufficiently high item level to roll a 6 link.

Yeah, but crafting is fun!

Just not very efficient.

Funny story. Got a 5L White yesterday. Can’t remember now if I found it on the ground, but I think I did. 2-h axe. Maxed the quality. Rared it. Awful result. Decided I’d try once more. Scoured it. Turned it rare again. Much better result the second time. Added a % phys enchant to it. Moved my sunder gems to it. Decided on a 5th gem to use. Increased my sheet does by about a third.

Then realized the 5th socket wasn’t actually linked. The weapon haft fooled me into thinking it was.

Exactly. Way more fun than trading. Everything in the game should be possible to get by every player, with reasonable chances through crafting. At least when it comes to linking and colors to get the skills you want to work together. And if the chances are currently too low, they should fix that.

Yeah, the many layers of the RNG burrito are a topic for sure. The good news is that none of that really matters until late in the game. It’s totally okay to enjoy leveling and not the whole endgame thing.

So if what I appreciate about D3 is it’s easy breeziness and not digging around under the hood too much, then Path of Exile is probably not the game for me. Fair enough.

From your description it sounds like D3 is more your game, yeah. I’d still encourage you to give PoE a shot if it looks interesting to you - for my money, it’s a much better game on balance.

First hit’s free ;)

I’ve been playing the beta on Xbox and I’m enjoying it but that’s just me not spending any time agonizing over skills and equipment. If that’s something that would need to change in the endgame then it does make the game a bit less attractive to me.

There’s a fair amount of game here just going through the 10 acts. Worry about whether you’ll enjoy the endgame when you actually get there after another 30 hours of play.

I don’t doubt thy there’s lots of enjoyment to be had here, I just have to fit it into the other games I’m playing or thinking of playing and whether it’s time better spent playing PoE. Of course that’s my personal calculus and not relevant to the thread, but it helps to get impressions from others how that is working out for them. I find the D3 thread to be mostly gibberish but I’m still capable of enjoying that in my own training wheels kind of way. Not sure if that’s as feasible in this game.

I would say the strength of PoE is its complexity. I think your read on it is correct. Not that there isn’t fun to be had just goofing, but I think there are games better suited to that (like Diablo, up to a point)

Cool. I’ll probably still play it, I’ve enjoyed the time I’ve spent in it so far. Just good to know what I’m getting myself into.