Pathfinder: Kingmaker

You can use torches on them, FYI - any elemental damage does the trick.

Oh, I see - the lady at the bar at Oleg’s is who you talk to to recruit characters, FYI.

So far this has been playing really well, looks great (so far no broken/place holder art! Yay!) and no bugs either. Well, twice I thought I found a bug, but checking the SRD rules they were not bugs, just things that worked different than I remembered from D&D 3.5.

Also, my Aasimar Sorcerer can summon a Halo that protects him from being blinded or dazzled, and I love it so much.

Torches! Of course. I had thrown flasks at them to no avail, but torches might do it

Man, I love that when you loot animals you can make a lore check to skin them for valuable hides. What a cool idea.

I started with a Wizard specializing in Illusion. Fun so far. It’s possible to pause everything to make combat effectively turn-based, so I’ve been experimenting with that. Yes, you can change difficult on the fly. I’m on Normal, but I’ve experimented with the option to make the party travel slower if encumbered.

My PC is old, no SSD, and the initial load time was about 2 minutes. Since then, though, the load screens have been short – 10-15 seconds.

I somehow missed the dialog. But 2k gold to do it? Fuck’s sake.

I am sure 2k isn’t that much later in the game when you normally would have multiple characters.

It is a lot when you have only 4 characters at the beginning of the game.

Is it true only the main character has a 25 point build and all the other characters (including the mercs) only have a 20 point build?

I should say, the dialog option was greyed out as if I had selected it. A possible bug.

I haven’t created a companion yet but I have read they are only 20 point buy. But the other characters you can recruit appear to be 25 point buy, like the main character.

I’ll confirm in a bit - I should have the 2,000 needed to make my Monk character, I think.

It’s 20 for self-rolled companions. Yes, it’s for sure 20 (17/14/12/10s is 20 points).

There’s a bug with encumbrance. Everything seems to work fine out adventuring, assuming you turned the setting to off. But when you return to town, and possibly when you change your inventory weight, it suddenly changes the calculation to just use your MC for the calculation (as opposed to the whole party)and then you move like molasses. This is really annoying.

It was also reported in the beta by one @Scott_Lufkin and I saw it talked about on the forums. Not sure how it stuck around this long. It hasn’t happened to me so far though, fingers crossed.

The weight change thing is speculation on my party. I would swear that sometimes when I return to town I start out fast but sometimes I start out slow (I am always overburdened). But I didn’t really start trying to pay attention until the last time, when I definitely started out at normal speed and then after selling loot to roll a sorcerer (That I screwed up, sigh) I was suddenly moving like a 208 year old with bad knees.

And it stuck around this long because (1) bugs get prioritized like everything else (2) are sometimes tricky to duplicate and thus difficult to diagnose and (3) somebody said “we have to go live at some point and live with the remaining bugs and fix them later” and this was still there. Sadly.

I guess their QA missed testing keybinding on this one too. Camera controls seem to be locked on WASD no matter what I put into the settings panel. Also, I have a lot of the additional settings set to Always (e.g. Show attack target dotted lines) and these don’t seem to stick. I’ve had to go back into settings a few times and change groups of them again because they flip back to the default. I might wait a little bit for the first patch.

I’m very interested in true turn based play so here’s what I found there with setting pause after every round (per character not the end of round for all characters) and watching carefully with the V key trick @Scotch_Lufkin mentioned. I also have the setting that shows a countdown timer from 6.0 so I know exactly when a character acts (on 0.0).

1. Actions like attack seem to properly follow turn based rules like a tabletop game. They’ll stand there and wait until they hit 0.0 in order of their initiative.
  2. Movement commands not caused by an attack or special action seem to completely ignore combat rounds. You can move freely anytime you like, even if it isn’t that character’s turn. Characters moving will continue to move constantly as long as it takes to reach their destination. No turn based movement seems to apply.

Anyone seen a setting that changes that? I’d really like to have fully turn based combat using auto-pause such that movement rules apply in rounds as well. It’s “almost right”…

Ugh, yes - I’m sort of stuck in Oleg’s place because of this… I can’t travel because I’m over my MC’s max of 100lbs of gear. Should be easy to carry that but I can’t add the companions before I can travel… and just the camping stuff weighs 40 lbs of that 100 lbs. My inventory is stripped down to having to sell most of my potions if I want to proceed.

I think I’m done until they fix this.

I can’t figure out how to use metamagic as a wizard to memorize a level 1 spell with extend spell as a level 2 spell. I can’t find the button combinations necessary.

edit - that wasn’t very intuitive. There’s a button on the bottom right that says metamagic. Just mess around with it and eventually you’ll figure it out.

I feel like I’m missing another basic thing… But is there a button or anything that shows the stats of a monster? I can see the health, but I have no idea what they are immune against. The encyclopedia doesn’t tell me, and googling is rough since most everything is for the boardgame.

I’d join in on this but … I think this game probably needs you all to beta test it for me and then I’ll grab it in few weeks. Just seems like it needs some seasoning. Interestingly DQXI had a splendid start with little to no problems.

I mean, DQXI has been out for over a year now, technically. And console JRPG’s do tend to be a lot more stable in terms of bugs as well - it helps DQXI is a lot less complex and much more linear than this, I’d imagine. Probably a larger studio/team/budget as well.

So far this hasn’t been nearly as buggy as I feared. I had one crash, I had some slow down in a few areas, and I had to re-cast my light halo a few times for some reason (which might not be a bug), but for the most part everything just works.

My biggest gripe is the game is pretty open ended and there are A LOT of places as a level 2 party with only 5 members you just can’t even try to tackle yet, even on Normal difficulty. This is probably going to end up being a good thing that I really like though, and I did manage to hit level 3 and suddenly I feel a lot more comfortable exploring.

Also, that moment when you have to cast Light on the barbarian so the humans in the cave can see when they fight the horrors that lurk in the shadows.