Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Wait, do you mean you don’t have to be on opposite sides, just two or more people engaged?

Speaking of duel classing, if I wanted to make a dueling Errol Flynn-type and was thinking of going Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Bard, am I better off starting off with Fighter or with Rogue (or Bard) as their first initial class.

My group didn’t finish this Adventure Path, do we have anyone here that did? My question: I failed finding Armag’s tomb in time and just got a fail state on that quest. Did I just lose the game or will he just be super powered when I run into him next?

My recommendation is Arcane Trickster. The girl elf in the game I turned into an Arcane Trickster and she does an insane amount ranged sneak attack damage, plus is almost a full spellcaster, only a level behind.

Uh, how else are you supposed to take the rules? You must be great fun during rules arguments in boardgames! :)

Glad to hear your observations about normal, though. As I’ve said elsewhere, when game designers can’t be bothered to do their jobs, I just leave the difficulty settings at the default and then complain accordingly if it doesn’t work out.

-Tom

So is the TLDR on difficulty is that normal is actually fairly balanced, it’s just that for whatever silly reason they:

1. set the enemy stats absurdly high (higher than the original PnP design?)
  2. fixed it in normal difficulty by doing across the board reductions rather than…setting the enemy stats correctly in the first place
  3. thus confusing the crap out of everyone?

Also bugs on release sticking way too high level encounters into a low level area?

I’m loving the game, but it is taking me longer to get to the kingdom stuff, no doubt because I’m THE POKIEST GAMER EVER. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I micromanage most of my fights, and that does take time. (I’m loosening up about it now that I can see which fights are likely to be easier.) I explore every inch of every dungeon. I read all the books and lore. I read every branch of every dialog tree. You don’t want to group with me in an MMO!

Anyway, Steam says I’ve got 36 hours in the game (perhaps 10 of which is AFK), and I’m still not to the kingdom building stuff. I’m level 3, nearing level 4, almost done with the cave, so I’m getting there. Knowing me, it’ll take me 500 hours to finish this game, so on a percentage basis, I imagine my experience will be the same as everyone else’s – most time spent with the kingdom-management stuff on.

Wow, that Silke and Dommspider combination is a bitch. Maybe I’ll have to go back to town to see if there is an item that can protect my group from that.

The negative reviews on Steam seem to focus on allegations of totally off the wall balance issues in terms of difficulty and poor design decisions. Of course, being Steam reviews, it’s hard to tell what’s worth heeding and what’s not. The vibe here is skewed I think because of the presence of so many hard-core RPG/CRPG types; this is sort of an echo chamber of expert players.

tl;dr, is the game ready for prime time?

Close range here feels a lot farther than in PoE2. This could have interesting implications for casters ,does it?

is there a better way than trail and error of learning the rough difficulty of the encounters at each location, and where to go next? there’s a troll fairly near Oleg’s that’s too tough for my group so proximity alone doesn’t do it, and unlike PoE2 they dont sign the post the difficulty on the map.
Is it better to stick stick to the main quest and get to the Elk Temple at level 2 or wait for level 3 by exploring more? if so where?

Man, I’m super impressed. It’s the 12th month in the kingdom and there is snow on every map I visit, what a cool touch. Literally!

Also, I couldn’t initially figure out how to cast my Sorcerers fancy new Stoneskin spell. I actually need Diamond Dust! Thankfully a vendor in town has a near limitless supply, so this is “a super awesome touch” rather than a pain in the butt.

Previously, you wanted to wrap up the gnome chase quest and hit level 3 in the sycamore tree area, but with the last round of patches you can do the temple at level 2 now safely to hit 3 with. Either way, Trolls are very challenging and should indeed be tackled by level 3 or higher parties, but they ARE killable even at level 2 if you get a little lucky have have a way to finish them off (deal acid or fire damage once they are down and still targettable - it means they are regenerating, but even one point of acid from a flask will finish them off).

Generally I think yes. Would it have benefited from being under development yet another month? Probably, but a good bit of the changes and fixes are being provided by a massive community of players that didn’t have to buy into beta access and have the full game. I think that expands the pool of people finding/reporting errors quite a bit. In a game this big, I don’t begrudge the developer believing the game was in shippable shape (it was, truly, there haven’t been many major issues and only a few minor ones, from a technical point of view - most of these changes are balance and quality of life stuff the developers, being so close to the project, likely never realized were going to be problems - hence, the community pointing out not all of us are Pathfinder rule mechanics savants).

Does anyone know how loot itemization is done in this game? Is it completely random? Random but with some set loot like NWN? I sure hope it’s not completely random as that could be incredibly frustrating.

Mostly it feels set or hand placed. I’ve had to reload and opened a few containers that had sellable junk, gold, and the type of sellable junk (jewelry, precious stones, amount of gold pile) has changed a bit. But if you loot a corpse with a Ring of Protection +2 on it and reload, it will have that same ring every time. I’d say 90% of the loot is hand placed, or more.

thanks! we survived the temple but it was the toughest fight we’ve completed so far. hopefully the sycamore tree will be easier.
also the game warned me that the bear like treant had some sort of DR, but the combat text just said “natural armor,” and didn’t say what damage types that prevents- is this information available in game or should I have a pathfinder wiki open while playing?

If you didn’t see (reduced) in the floating combat text or the combat log, you were probably not using the type of damage that the bear is able to reduce, so you got lucky there, is my guess.

that makes sens, thanks. and its nice to be lucky :)
what level are the tuskgutter and league quests?

I’d be level 3 for the league, and level 3 for tuskgutter might be okay, but 4 is better (I don’t want to spoil anything, but depending on how you handle that boar, it could be a one on one fight with one of your party members - do feel free to pre-dialog buff though).

thanks! just made level 3 going back to the trading post. I need to head out now but next session I’l check out the league.