Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

It doesn’t look like they have the Summoner, the Spiritualist or Investigator.

If it’s as faithful an adaptation of the WotR adventure path as Kingmaker was of Kingmaker, then you’re not likely to see a lot of common plot threads. It’s set a few countries over. That being said, Owlcat added a lot of content to Kingmaker and it wouldn’t be surprising if they added connections or callbacks.

Yeah - its insane. I’ve started over 11 times so far… I simply can’t decide when there is such a large amount of choices!

Other than that - anyone else just getting stuck on their first rest?

Cool, I’d actually prefer it be independent but hadn’t heard one way or the other.

But why does Owlcat Games hate fun, though???

According to the kickstarter update:

Not all of the archetypes and prestige classes have been implemented yet

Yup. Right now trying to kill the Water Elemental with a wounded party.

Managed to finish the prologue without resting, thanks to the wand of cure light. Too bad I made my character a dhampir.

Must. . .resist. . .temptation. . .to. . .order. . . .

Do we know if WotR has hidden timers? Because that ultimately killed Kingmaker for me despite my great enjoyment of many other aspects of the game. The devs can take their hidden timers and shove them where the sun don’t shine.

Did the hidden timers ever actually cause you to lose the game? They are incredibly generous, really just for flavor more than anything. There were a few side quests that were obviously “look we better do this now before it’s too late” but even those were like “within the next two months” which is… you basically have to forget to do it, really, and those were just side quests. Or is it just the idea of them?

Some people hate timers regardless. Even if the timer is a million years, the fact that it exists at all will give them total misery.

The Kingmaker timers are not very strict but I think they do weigh down on you, psychological. It makes it so I don’t waste time and try to be very productive with my time. I also usually always prioritize the main quest over side quests/kingdom management as there is this increased sense of urgency. There is also the bald hill timer every chapter. It is this impending thing that is slowly creeping towards you at a snails pace.

Personally, I love it.

I don’t mind timers, as long as they are reasonably generous and also clearly obvious and well documented. What I hate, with a great hate and loathing, is hidden timers, of which Kingmaker had a bunch.

I hate them psychologically as discussed and they would ruin the game for me even without much effect. It’s a tension combined with uncertainty I hate. (Using fully disclosed timers to add tension is fine. Using hidden timers, well that adds both tension and uncertainty and makes it possible to screw yourself. Even if its only psychological, I hate it.)

And specifically I got hit with losing out on a quest b/c of hidden timers. Didn’t affect winning or losing, but did prevent me from completing things, and also left a failed quest in my log. I hate that. Plus, I’m a completionist in this kind of game so being cut out of that content is like a failed game, to me.

Plus, I don’t understand AT ALL what keeping the timer hidden provides in terms of benefits? There are plenty of fully disclosed timers so the hidden ones took me by surprise and caused deep frustration.

Again, timers are fine, as long as they are not hidden. It’s the hidden timers I hate.

Now that you mentioned it, I also failed a quest, in chapter 2. It was a quest I never even started, but the timer was already up when I first went to the quest location so it auto-failed…

I always fail one or two quests in my playthoughs. There’s one at the Old Sycamore you pretty much always have to fail – either helping the hunter mites kill the worg or helping the worg by killing the hunters. I suppose you could avoid that if you just attacked one of them outright without talking to them, but if you talk to them you’re going to get the quest to kill the other.

I don’t know, but they seem like they would be hard to balance in a combat-based RPG.

I’m so glad that Call of the Wild exists. I got to try out the Spiritalist. Sadly, since they buffed the class, the Fractured Soul was less useful.

That isn’t really the same thing as a quest failing due to a hidden timer though. Just a quest with two mutually exclusive opposing sides which is a pretty common convention.

I looked up the quest I failed and it was The Nature of the Beast where you are suppose and find and talk to the wizard dude much earlier before the trolls attack. I never encountered the hook for this, and instead was pointed to go there only via a throne room event after the troll attack.

Just about timers: in games I know have time limits, what turns me off is that I never know how long anything else might take, so I focus on the things that I know/feel have timers, even if they don’t. I’m actively relieving the pressure of time so I can try to relax and enjoy the game at my own pace. But if new timers continue to pop into play it just restarts the pressure. That can wear down someone like me.

It’s not that timers are inherently a bad thing, and they do make sense in Pathfinder. I’ve played plenty of games where the main quest seemed incredibly urgent yet I could dally and do any number of side-quests to my heart’s content. That always seemed strange. Regardless, key was that I enjoyed being able to take my time and explore the gameworld.

Really, it’s whether you feel pressured or not, and whether that pressure (or lack of) bothers you or not. Yep, psychological, but it’s a real thing.

Not sure from the discussion in this thread, but did anyone feel pressured but like that they felt pressured? Recent posts suggest that there isn’t any pressure from the timers (hidden or otherwise) because of their length, but then is that any different from not having a timer at all, and would you have enjoyed it as much if timers didn’t exist?

I could imagine a Kingmaker without timers, totally. Only trigger the next event when prerequisite quests are completed, and never time out any quests, like how 99% of the RPGs do it.

The pressure is always there with the timers. I am not going to be dicking around and exploring out of the way areas of the map or managing my kingdom for months on end while there is a call to action to put down a threat or visit a specific area as part of the chapter quest.

I am in chapter 4 right now and I’m getting spammed by a series of companion side quests and haven’t moved my ass over to the main quest area yet. Maybe I will miss something.

The optimal route seems to always focus on the chapter questline first then fuck around as much as you want until the next chapter starts.

This is how I did it. I don’t remember ever having issues with quest timers. In most chapters there should be plenty of time to explore before the next chapter starts.