Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

I didn’t hate it but found it to be a fantastic sleep aid.

Well the Kingmaker ones weren’t “hidden”, you just had to pay more attention. 😉

I didn’t get far in the beta because I didn’t want to be spoiled. But there was a notification that said, paraphrasing, “You need to return to HQ because shit is going down. Also consider wrapping up your stuff because things are going to change after that.”

So I think the game is likely a little better at communicating stuff like that to the player.

So I loved the first one – up to a point.

For some reason i never finished the first Pathfinder and … Pillars Deadfire.

Yet these are just the games I like.

I may have to get RPG therapy.

Kingmaker is amazing.

Unless you played it on release. Then it was hell in so many ways.

My best tip to anyone trying it again is put Kingdom Management on Easy or Effortless.
It’s just busy work for the most part, which is probably my biggest strike against the game.
You need to get the numbers up and build Artisans their workshops or whatever, but otherwise it’s just a way to lose the game that you don’t have a ton of control over. So go Easy/Effortless and just RP it.

That said I totally get failing to get through it. I have the same issue with both Pillars games. Turn-based helps a lot, but I’m a tactical nerd at the end of the day.

I really wanted to finish the game but its just so unwieldy. Like you said the kingdom stuff bombards you with notices and I’m still not 100% sure, what the best strategy is with dealing with stuff. Some problems just require you to assign someone and 14 days (or whatever) days later the thing is solved. Some problems just don’t go away until I realized I actually had to go explore the map and “unlock” the related area so solve the problem. This often turned out to be way too late after suffering loads of penalties…

Then the difficulty curve is bizarre. Its an absolute walkthrough in 99% of the fights and then I hit some incident and get wiped out again and again. Currently I’m stuck at the Castle of Knives - No clue how I can get past that battle, so I’ve quit the game there. (another example is some wizard/ghost under the Pitax palace)

Unlike BG2, Kingmaker suffers from areas filled with one note encounters that are punishing unless you use a specific silver bullet solution then it becomes easy as pie. (ex: Resist poison all versus spiders, electric immunity all versus will-o-wisps, etc) This is taken to the extreme in the end-game where you need either freedom of movement or the blind fighting feat on your entire party at all times during which it drags ass for at least 10 extra hours of playtime.

Map encounters cap out at like lvl 7.

Pitax Palace is very challenging though. It was mostly the troublesome stealth enemies that attack your back line. The wizard/ghost is optional and is basically like on par with a lich fight in BG2.

Ah! That explains why those are just trivial…
I walked away from that wizard / ghost when I realized he didn’t appear to be ncessary. But those “silver bullet” battles are very frustrating as it really stumps a casual playthrough and you need to figure out WHAT exactly is going on.
eg MY team always freaks out and runs away in panic, so I need something to counter that and since I only play sporadically and do not have a encyclopedic knowledge of this system, I’ll need to goole whats going on there and what I can do to stop that.

I am still mad about the intermittent-but-too-common crash bug with causing fear in enemies in turn-based mode. Basically invalidated my (awesome) main character with whatever silly prestige class that eventually gets to passively make all kinds of Intimidate checks to just wreck anything susceptible to fear.

I should replay it as whatever the class is that Chaotic Evil Penis is, but built like non-stupidly.

Yup. 100%. Kingmaker is a dick like that. Which in my mind lowers its standing next to other CRPGs.

You “can” brute force it, but that tact will be punished, resulting in endlesslly frustrating combat. You want the “Silver Bullet” solution.

Especially in the end-game, where this is ratcheted up to over 9,000 x Infinity forever (or until you give up / complete the game!)

Excited! I can’t decide what class to play. Of course, I want to play as some kind of Paladin as I often do and is most appropriate in this setting, but, I’m certainly going to fuck things up on my first play-through and I want my Paladin play-through to be as close to perfect as I can get, so…

(Queen Galfrey is voiced by Octavia.)

A Steelblood Bloodrager?
Although, if the games aren’t that different, hopefully there will be a port of all the mod classes added.

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes

Yeah man, get hype!

I’m replaying Kingmaker right now as a Scaled Fist Monk, and it’s pretty gonzo nuts. Trip is so OP, heh.

I will probably try to make some kind of fighter/thief type work for me, though I’ll probably never recapture the glory of the Fighter 9 / Thief X dual-classed quarterstaff grandmaster in Baldur’s Gate II.

What a great teaser, but Im terrified Im going to fall into the same trap I did with Kingmaker. The story was amazing but even at the end I had no better clue how the game mechanics worked than when I started. Something about the 3.5 ruleset just bounces right off me.

This looks even more complex, gulp.

At the minimum, hopefully I cant select a character portrait of a major character in the game again :P

Edit: Removed Kingmaker spoilers.

Oh, shit, Pathfinder done gone woke: “will you choose freedom and equality?”

Yeah, great trailer. I’m sure I’ll grab it right away.

That and the terrible dearth of portraits in Kingmaker is just the weirdest thing!

Portraits probably take a lot more time and effort and not a lot of bang for the buck for the developers. Especially when players could import any pictures they wanted.

There were mods that imported pictures from Icewind, Baldies gate, NWN and others. I assume, within the first week, we’ll probably have those same mods out for this version as well, which should make up for anything lacking.

There are literally over 1000 portraits on Nexusmods. I assume they will all work with Wrath.

Most likely they kept the formatting the same so you can just use the same portraits.

They were just 3 pictures of a certain size. No real reason to change the formula on their end.
That said Pillars 2 decided to and it made it a pain in the ass for everyone to try to get a watercolor of a portrait.
Fortunately their forums had people happy and willing to do it.

If they took to the time to make a completely new onboard UI (book, candles, filigree, etc) they can certain spend the time to include portraits that aren’t used by main characters in the story.

IMO, I shouldn’t have to download mods or go to Nexus for anything in a sequel. Kingmaker, maybe, as that was Kickstarted and Owl was unknown. This game has a pedigree.

I mean they have. They have new ones and all the Kingmaker ones iirc.

It is literally any picture. It’s not a mod, the Nexus “mod” is just a folder of pictures pre-sized to make it easier.

“There are lots of options.”
“I’m fucking furious that I can do whatever I want.”

Also the “pedigree” of a Russian company that’s made basically 1 game ever is… questionable.