Pathfinder - Wrath of the Righteous; A Kingmaker follow-up that supports turn-based gameplay now!

I believe that you said that the Tabletop Tweaks mod corrects Crane Wing but I don’t see it listed on their page. What exactly does fixed mean in this case? Clearly it shouldn’t work with a shield but what about a two handed weapon? A buckler and a 1 handed weapon?

I keep thinking of new builds but I know my current run with two pets in the party is spoiling me.

Those things.

It works with what it’s supposed to which is a empty off hand iirc.

And it’s in there but there are like 3-4 pages of changes at this point.
Mind you I could be wrong and it might not be changed, but I know they did change fencing/slashing grace, so it would be odd to leave Crane out of it since mechanically I would think it’s basically the same.

Sounds good. Bad for one possible build as I go back and forth on the reasonableness of crane wing working with a two handed weapon. It strictly shouldn’t and you are right that mechanically it is the same as slashing and fencing grace but in my mind it fits well enough as a weapon block that is otherwise not really mechanically covered anywhere outside of things like Duelist.

BTW thanks for the link as the mod looks great but I never look for mods outside of Nexus.

I should probably ask in the POE2 thread but what are the pros and cons to the Owlcat games? I remember I tried picking it up after I was burned out on Kingmaker but I only played the very first part where the leave the beach and get to the first town. I got distracted by other games, it wasn’t anything about POE2 that I disliked.

I had heard that TBS mode isn’t that great in that game because a lot of the encounters seemed to be designed with RTWP in mind and that with the number of enemies it drags on? I also vaguely remember some complaints about initiative or something being useless in one of the modes or something along those lines?

Anyway, I’m just curious how it compares to Kingmaker/Wrath.

PoE2 is more polished, has its own mechanics so you don’t get the wild D20 difficulty spikes, you don’t have to prep for battles constantly, I think the writing is better and the graphics are certainly comparable despite it being 3.5 years old now. And with multiclassing, there’s lots of fun character build options to play with IMO.

That said, it’s a shorter game with less content, but if you can find both PoEs on sale I’d grab them in a heartbeat.

Turn based is a completely different game in a lot of ways because the whole system is based on being RTWP. Like things are measured in seconds and most modifiers are % based. So Dex, the most important stat in RTWP because it lowers “Action Speed” by X% is mostly worthless in TB where it gives you a little initiative and some reflex. Other things also become less good. Haste effects are mostly garbage because everyone gets one action, etc.

Playing RTWP they’re comparable games. TB the Pathfinder games win because their core is a TB game. Some would argue that PoE games win RTWP for the same reason.

Edit: PoE also has the ability to code your own party AIs, which is pretty dope in a RTWP game. Stuff like “If anyone gets Paralyzed, cast Suppress Affliction on them” and “If anyone’s health drops below 50% heal them,” for your Priests and the like.

Awesome, thanks guys. I typically dislike RTwP but sounds like if I give POE2 a spin sometime after Wrath then that’s the mode I’ll go with. I’d rather play the system as it was intended rather than shoehorned in.

Scripting party AI is something I’ve wanted in the Owlcat games. I could see RTwP working for me when I can script things like you describe.

I tried POE2 briefly on the Xbox via Gamepass and there’s no friggin’ way I’m playing that on a gamepad. :) I was instantly annoyed by slowboating a mouse cursor around with a thumbstick.

Not quite the same thing but I just had a good laugh. I just booted up Wrath right now to continue my save and a Voracious Glabrezu – not something I struggle with – landed all 6ish hits on Seelah despite requiring an 18 with a big nasty crit in there. Instant splatter. I just thought it was funny right after reading about D20 difficulty spikes, haha.

I one shot the last boss with the Slayer’s Capstone.

They could’ve only failed on a one on their save. They rolled a 1.

Can’t think of a better D20 finish, haha.

What kind of slayer was it?
I was looking at slayers a bit, for a Halfling throwing build.

Although, I could do it with a Bloodrager instead.

The RNG as always seems not random, though I’m reasonably sure it actually is as random as it can be all things considered. It’s just that you get these encounters where every one of your umpteen attack rolls is less than five for example, and all you need is a six to hit.

Wow, came upon the toughest battle to date for me:

Playful Darkness: there’s obviously a trick to this, but I may not have the spells or abilities to counter whatever it’s tossing out. Resistances and scores are incredibly high, and I don’t think I can overcome them. Is this something I should return to later on (if I can)?

Just stock Slayer.

It’s one of those super hard side bosses.

Positive energy can kill it if you can live long enough for it to work.

Hear me out:

Dex 20, wis 18

Monk 1
Rogue/Thug 4 (dex for attack and dmg, sneak attack debuff)
Slayer/Spawn Slayer X (additional murdering)

Focus in monk weapon of choice
Menacing specialization (power attack without strength req)
Menace feats (demoralize on hit, aoe demoralize on kill, anything shaken is flat footed to you)
Crane style for defense, plus all the dex & wis

What he said!

But if I was thinking about giving PoE2 another shot, is there any reason to buy the three expansion packs before starting? If they’re self-contained stories that you tackle after finishing the main quest, I may just wait for them to go on sale. Thanks!

They are self-contained, but if you finish the main game your party will be level 20 and those DLCs won’t be much of a challenge at that point.

Oh hey, tips. The freeze that happens in TBM whenever you kill something can be fixed by turning off the Game options “Lock camera to to the moving character” and “Move the camera to the acting character.”

Pressing R in Drezen will take you to your bedroom.

I am in act 5 and just did Lann’s companion quest which really pissed me off:
I am playing an Angel / Paladin type of character.

So Lann wants to rescue his fellow mongrels from the demon corrupting them. He has a plan and asks you to trust him, which I do and then he leaves your party.

You are on a plateau overlooking the enemy and I do not see a way down. This part is important. So I leave the map and wander around a bit and then come back and can’t re-enter the location. So I load another save after I had made a choice to allow Lann to do his own thing. Then search around and using the shift key, a mobility check somewhere which gets me down to another level. Anyway, there are some battles and stuff and I am doing quick saves and also some scripted auto saves are happening. What is going on, is that all my saves before my choice to allow Lann to do his own thing are now gone.

Anyway, so then I see Lann down below and he his facing the demon guy and Lann is talking to him, and he takes the choice to try and survive the demon’s venom. Previously, in act 4 the demon talked about this and if the mongrel survives, then he will no longer die of old age and will be a lot strong. So the demon envenoms Lann who manages to survive.

Then the stupid shit happens: Lann pulls out his bow, in the middle of the enemy camp, shoots at the boss demon, who then shreds and kills him. Lann has no chance to survive this. Its a totally idiotic maneuver. The my group comes charging in and wastes everyone. Then I talk to the dying Lann and I have no option to heal him. He then says, he would just be dead from old age in a few years so just let him go. Then he dies and you can loot his corpse. Goodbye Lann.

What about the demon venom? Lann survived that, and it was supposed to prevent that mongrel aging thing. Also with my angelic character, I have brought other characters back to life, even if they were totally gibbed into chunks. But no option for Lann.

The quest is still in my logbook to kill the enemy demon, but I am guessing this is a bug and Lann is gone forever. God damm, this pisses me off.

Some of the NPC and companion interactions are pretty interesting, though overall it’s a very mixed and sometimes disconnected bag. Playing as an Aeon type, Mr. Lawful Monk, I had to deal with Camellia’s little, um, obsession. Ended up whacking her. At least the game lets me loot all the good stuff I gave her. The choices were kind of interesting, especially if you were an evil character, but it kind of sucks that you loose what is by then a decent combatant unless you are in fact playing an evil character.

But at least it’s a meaningful choice.