Pathway by Robotality

You keep all the stuff you found, as well as cash, if you fail. But the basic equipment you’ve used is not replenished. I like how that works.

If someone is defeated you can’t use them for an adventure, and then they return. I don’t think they get new stuff, but I am not 100% sure.

I also received a good boy dog companion named ‘Donut’!

I am really loving the pixel art design. When you find a safe rest spot and camp, the way the artists rendered the fast passage of time with the sun racing across the sky and long shadows shifting in tandem was sublime.

Regarding replayability, I’m seeing lots of comparisons to both Renowned Explorers and the Curious Expedition. For me, I initially loved Renowned Explorers but thought it got stale on replays and was basically over it in about two weeks, whereas I still occasionally break out Curious Expedition despite finding it a bit rougher initially. (FTL left me cold, so I won’t comment on its staying power.) I think the difference for me was how scripted Renowned Explorers’ areas felt after the first time through. Is that the case here?

I’ll probably buy it in a few weeks regardless, I just want to calibrate my expectations.

Really appreciating the reactions, everyone!

I was reading the Steam reviews and noticed a good number of initial negative ones, which seem to be getting overtaken now by a larger number of positive ones. The negative ones seem to be criticizing the game because it gets repetitive quickly, part of which is due to combat that doesn’t scale in an interesting way. Any thoughts on that?

I really like the art direction and theme, though. It immediately made me think of Jagged Alliance 1, which others have mentioned here too.

EDIT: If you do decide to pick it up on Steam, check for a 10% off coupon in your inventory first.

If you earn an achievement, you have to go to the trophy tab in the codex and click on the achievement icon to get your reward. I got a bunch of stuff there I didn’t know was waiting for me to claim.

I am a sucker for Pixel art games… I held off just a bit. I’ll probably bite in a few. Thank you all for your observations.

There are a few negative steam reviews and those reviews are not badly written. But I love pixel art sundowns so I guess it is done.

I bought Halfway a long time ago, but never got around to playing it. I was planning on modding it, but there was some limitation of the engine I can’t remember.

This thread is for a game called Pathway, not Halfway.

Same developer, similar game, similar middling reviews.

Sure, but otherwise unrelated to the topic entirely.

Well, as I see it… his post was halfway related to pathway.

Where’s the like button?

@Scotch_Lufkin If you really want an Pathway only thread, go start one. Otherwise fuck off.

I already have a Pathway only thread, with just one person shitting it up with off-topic chatter about a different game they never played.

I have still not played enough to know for sure, but I think it is about the same as Renowned Explorers, but a bit more built for replaying due to the team member persistence. If RE:IS got stale for you, this might too.

But to further calibrate: Keep in mind that this is a $12 or so game. My impression so far is that it is good value for money.

This is my current thought on the matter as well - I’ve put about 90 minutes in and am doing the second mission, and I enjoy the combat quite a lot so I’m getting much out of this. It’s pixel art style and animation I’ll never not enjoy, as well, so even if I “only” get 2-3 hours out of this before I wrap up the last mission (unlikely) or before I get tired of grinding up XP/meta before I can finish the last mission (probably more likely?) it was still $12 well spent.

Sorry, man. Talk of Renowned Explorers and Jagged Alliance is not allowed in this thread per @Scotch_Lufkin’s orders. Better take that somewhere else.

He is comparing other games to the on-topic game. I’m unsurprised you don’t know the difference.

It seems @tomchick has a review up… on Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/tomchick/recommended/546430/

While Tom has a point I’m sure others will share, I’m really enjoying this. The mechanics are not super deep, but the atmosphere and execution are really carrying this for me. A nice light adventure game that is just perfectly clicking with where my head is at. It’s one of the few games I’ve played recently that I am thinking about while away from my PC and really itching to get back and fire it up again.