Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

Same here. I have the same shame. But to be fair, back when I was trying to track down all the Hugo winners, I just couldn’t find Neuromancer. I tried every Waldenbooks in every mall I used to visit, but none of them carried it.

By the time stores like Barnes & Noble came to town in 1996 onward, I’d sort of forgotten about checking for Neuromancer.

Read it, well worth the effort. I read it for the first time about a year ago. While many of its beats have become tropes by now, and so it is t nearly as fresh feeling, it was rightly considered groundbreaking.

Still holds up mostly. Sure some of the future tech seems less visionary, but the way the world responds to them holds up, and feels familiar at times.

I read Neuromancer a few years ago and while it was decent it doesn’t seem like something that aged well or holds up as much in the 2010’s.

I love Gibson’s more recent works though.

I also love Cyberpunk which owes so much to that novel so I read it more out of duty than inherent appreciation.

I still love Maelcum the Rasta space pilot.

I have like three copies each of Snow Crash and Neuromancer so that if anyone wants one when they come by the house, I can give them one.

I’m finding it impossible to express what I mean to say right now without it sounding like an invitation.

Great recommendations and counter-recommendations this month. I second the recommendation of Sekigahara – I’d be curious to see what @tomchick thinks of it. And the mention of Ba Ba Black Sheep put a big smile on my face, since I loved that show when I was a kid (although I also suspect it doesn’t hold up at all).

Some things are better left to your childhood memories. But some things are timeless:

sexy

-Tom

Robert Conrad. So cool. But I’m guessing that watching it again would be a mistake.

“Knock it off. I dare ya.”

Is there a list somewhere of previous selections from review requests? I don’t want to duplicate something that is pending.

I should probably keep the list updated with each video, but here’s what’s currently pending. I spoilered the latest winner(s), in case you want to watch the video(s):

Games: Magic Realm, Solium Infernum, Space Base
Books: Fight Club, Deadhouse Gates, Hyperion
Uh, other…?: 3 Favorite Paintings by Basquiat

As for stuff that’s already won Review Requests, there’s a sortable tag in WordPress that will pull up this list. It’s not easy to find, because I’m terrible at using tags, but it’ll be at the bottom of every Patron write-up.

-Tom

Wait, crap, I missed the video where you picked my suggestion??

edit: Oh god I did I am an actual monster!

Now I am looking forward to that very much :-D (and trying to read some Walker Percy, if possible)

Are the Patreon requests on hold until Tom catches up? Y’all need to stop giving him stuff that takes so long to get through. Can we all agree that the first two episodes of Cowboy Beebop are enough, for instance, and that Tom can move on from that request? :)

Cowboy Bebop can only be interrupted by The Wire, and vice versa. Anything else is wasting time!