Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

No likes? BAH HUMBUG! Well, I was able to “like” Tom on the test forum so I guess that’s enough. I can die in peace now.

Depending on your grab script you should be able to do something like this:

Grab: https://forum.qt3.us/t/the-thread-of-infinite-scroll-smiley-cat/199/1 -> Save
Grab: https://forum.qt3.us/t/the-thread-of-infinite-scroll-smiley-cat/199/15 -> Save

Etc.

Basically the same as would be happening on VBB where you have 40 posts per page as you or your script HAVE to load a new page to continue getting the rest of the data.

You’d have to verify the exact number of posts that gets “pre-loaded” when you visit each url, and I am unsure if it is a number of posts or “data”, I.e. 5 text heavy posts == 15 “+Awesome” posts.

Perhaps @Wumpus could clarify the loading process.

Yes posts should get migrated, like any other forum migration.

I think this might be the death of “QT3 has a front page?” jokes. Which I kinda liked until discovering It actually irritates Tom. Which was surprising to me but bloody obvious in retrospect.

Be nice to have one interface to comment on all the articles going up, i generally avoided doing so because Disqus.

So Sandru has an interesting use case that can be solved via print functions. Print to screen that is, not necessarily printers. Not as convenient, it’s one more click, but it should work if implemented. Which nobody seems interested in doing atm but might happen eventually. There are numerous posts interested in it over at discourse.

1. Epic lurk for Sandru!

2. Yay! We’re moving!

Yeah, same.

Exciting times ahead.

Into the arks, people!

I thought it would be more like the rapture, where we’re just sucked into the new forum. No?

Is that confirmed? One thing I love about this forum is getting search results on discussions on a game from 10+ years ago. I know this forum will probably be archived but it would be nice to not have two places to search…

Time to verify that your registered email is correct on VBB I would assume.

Finally, I have to ask how such sites work with search engines. How does a scrolling forum get cached/indexed? Regular forums such as the current Q23 one are seen completely by spiders and indexed fully. Seems to me, and correct me if wrong, since threads are dynamically loaded with scrolling forums, that spiders nor users can have an entire thread fully loaded.

It indexes fine, don’t ask me the wizardry behind it. They had to turn off the crawlers on the test site because it was already on the duckduckgo first search page after only a day or so.

It seems to me, a fundamental flaw of scrolling is that it needs to be always connected (DRM much?)

Forum software as DRM? Hmm, ok. See, a rather fundamental requirement of reading online forums is, you know, being online. Don’t get me wrong, I get you have a use case for offline and that is fair enough, I have done the same thing myself, but the DRM analogy is a wee bit of a stretch.

Anyway, I am confident a workaround would be possible (as posted above). One of the design goals of Discourse was that individual posts in a thread should still be externally addressable with a unique URL, so some sort of funking around should get you what you need. If nothing else, another design goal of Discourse is to function not only as a forum, but as a mailing list. If that feature is enabled, you’ll have all the updated content delivered to your mail client of choice for offline consumption as you see fit. Will be interesting to see if that is enabled though, as it may require a mail service that would support higher traffic throughput than QT3 may currently supports?

That is a good point, you can subscribe to threads and get all posts emailed to you I believe.

You can quickly test it on the test site now.

Good call. I just checked and it was a work address from six years ago.

Another layer of meaning for “rapture of the nerds”!

I don’t think it is enabled admin side, as I tried it earlier. I was not getting email for PM notification either.

And of course, now I get an email, so yeah, you can test the mail notification feature over there as well!

Only wumpus can confirm but I would be very surprised if they didn’t come over. That’s just how I have done forum transfers in the past and expect them to operate. Some things like posts might not look great because of different formatting but it should work.

The whole thing is a pain generally, because any long running SQL based app often generates junk entries, legacy crap, corrupted rows, etc. Wumpus and co though probably have it down to a science by now vs my case by case basis.

So I wonder how will the front page integration work? I mean, does Discourse come with a front page element or Tom have to have someone rebuild it in Wordpress and include some codes to Discourse forum for discussion of each front page topic?

When is the official move happening?

And it supports reply via email as well, so not only can you subscribe for say daily updates, you can reply to contribute and when you’re next online they will post.

Now you can stop lurking, Sandru! ;)