Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

I think the process is: Decision made -> Announcement -> Plan for migration -> Announcement 2.

So wait for 2 I guess. :)

which means there is a way for Zak Gordon to join in again!

From the announcement:

The actual migration won’t happen for at least a week. When it does happen, accounts and forum content will be ported into Discourse. I’ll have more specifics on that in the coming days. The vBulletin content will be archived somewhere that you can access, but it won’t be active.

Wendelius

I did some quick reading on the meta.discourse site and some of the blog posts. I think you can just embed the forum thread as content on any blog site via javascript. Discourse will also support auto thread creation based on a blog entry.

Oh sweet, didn’t think if that!

That is super convenient. Hopefully, we will have a better front page experience!

It will do a couple of things, hopefully.

1 - Elevate and grow the conversation on the FP, particularly beyond “Waaaaah, COD34 deserves more then 1 star!”
2 - Directly drive FP readers to the forum to continue the conversation, where they will see a whole bunch of other cool shit we talk about and hopefully be driven to register to contribute and ultimately support Tom.

The FP will lose lots of those fly-by-nighters that just come to whinge about a review, but they are likely coming from metacritic et al anyway, so they will still be driven to the FP for ad revenue generation.

Haha, sorry, Danebro. Maybe the Qt3 community can stitch you together a comforter to make the change and transition easier. :)

I’m just playing, but I really do hope the transition isn’t that bad for you and that the annoyances that you have either can get addresses or you get used to them, cuz I really like having you around!

So how will the front page work? Will comments on articles need a vetted forum account to comment? Seems as if it may discourage discussion. Sure, there are a lot of whingers who want to bemoan Metacritic scores, but there are also a lot of occasional, one-time contributors to the front page who make great comments, particularity in the movie articles.

Regardless, I’m psyched about the change, but I do sincerely hope we can hammer out a user selectable dark theme.

I just want to say this, infinite scroll is bad, and I dislike it. Maybe it is something that takes a long time to get used to, maybe it will lower the quality of discussion, only time will tell.

I like the people on this forums, so I will deal with it.

Well, I am like one of those “Repent, the end is nigh!” street yellers, and if it all blows up, I tried to warn you!

Anyway, looking forward to the transition.

Whilst a current solution has been proposed (accessing each post in a thread and saving that), there might be a better way involving the discourse API. I don’t know if you’re currently doing your QT3 saving manually, or via a script. If via a script it looks really simple to just save the topics via the API.

I also imagine Zak could quickly build a terminal-based reader for QT3, one that doesn’t involve javascript ;) (Maybe I’ll make one. Sounds fun. edit: And I’ll add pagination for Jon)

We know Discourse remembers last read places. What I’d like to know is how does it mark such settings? Server or client side? Server side would be normal and good, client side, bad.

It’s definitely server.

The forum is dead.

Long live the forum!

Well, here we boldy go were noone has gone befo… wait, that’s not right.

I’m sure it will take some getting used to, but as long as likes are (and stay) off the table, I’ll be fine!

Thats one of the nicest things anyone has said to me on these forums - I appreciate the sentiment immensely, and right back at you!

I’ll be fine, even though change is never easy (For me). But Mr Clay and gang has done some seriously nice work with the test forum, so Im sure it will be great!

Jon, these are my sentiments almost exactly.

After futzing with Discourse a bit – and watching the fantastic changes made by Clay et. al. – the only major annoyance left (I think) is the infinite scroll. I think wumpus is just flat out wrong about infinite scroll, but it seems we’re stuck with it if we’re going to Discourse.

I’m glad that the shift to Discourse will help support Tom, both through more FP impressions and hopefully through sustained Patreon donations.

Sandru, your criticism about offline use is correct, you need internet access to read the new forum. Discourse serves specially-formatted paginated content to web crawlers/search engines.

Re the announcement thread, posts and all content will absolutely be migrated.

And there it is! Always online confirmed! Didn’t we learn anything from the xbox one???

Always online is important to support the real money auction house, where you and your facebook friends and twitter followers can trade and sell likes, avatars, and badges with wild abandon. We fully anticipate a thriving bustling economy and compelling gameplay will ensue.

Rare badges, emojis, and avatar images drop from loot boxes at random intervals while posting. Keys to open loot boxes can be earned by scrolling through threads, but you can just buy them in the in-forum cash shop.

Huh, I’ve completely stayed out of this so far. Last year I only chimed in to say NO LIKES.

But I just checked the announcement thread and the sample forum. I must say it looks just fine. It’s fast too. Support.