Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

I have some free credits in IBM Bluemix which supports Docker container, maybe I will just try it out! Thanks!!!

This should have you covered! ;)

Depending on how deep you want to go with it or how long you want to keep up a test/dev server, Digital Ocean is super cheap for hour-by-hour. I think you can use a 1 GB instance (if you set up paging), which is only $10 for a month.

Thanks @sharaleo and @clay, I decided to use Digital Ocean simply because the instructions made it super easy. I try not to derail this thread, so perhaps I will ask any Discourse setup question in the test server, but do I have to use xyz.example.com or does Digital Ocean’s $10/month provide my own domain as well?

It does not, but if you’re just testing, you can use the IP address, I think. Otherwise, go somewhere like https://iwantmyname.com/ and find the cheapest domain name you can. There are other registrars, too… you should be able to find one for $5 or something.

Post setup has wiki pages is so amazing I don’t know what we can do with such uber powers. Maybe have “Megathreads” where the first post is updated by many people. Like a E3 thread where the first post have links to live streams, and people edit the post to add alternative live streams in case the official die.

Does anyone have an example of these wiki pages? I don’t understand how it works.

Here you go: https://forum.qt3.us/t/this-is-a-wiki-post-that-anybody-can-edit/246

If you can’t edit it, let me know your user name on the test forum and I’ll bump up your User Level. New Users to the test forum currently come in at Level 0, which is the default. However, I’m certain with the migration that existing users will come in at Level 3 or something. Permissions for creating and editing Wiki posts (adjustable) are bound to user level.

Whoa, I just saw this thread only now. What did I miss?

This? It will be a 2 step move. Make sure your registration email address is valid as it will be the key element linking your vBulletin account to the Discourse one.

Wendelius

tl;dr version:

You are on reply #1226, not page 41.

Learn to love scrolling and icons.

Like +1

You are witnessing the dawn of a NEW ERA!!!

I just thought I’d mention that at least two of us so far have changed our emails but didn’t receive a confirmation mail because it went straight to the Gmail spam folder. Google told me that it had something to do with how the email was sent. We could lose a lot of people if the notification email goes straight to the spam folder.

That is specific to the test site: proper email requires DKIM and SPF records in the DNS as well as reverse PTR at the host.

Uh ok.

Do I need to download more RAM for that?

I think Canuck is talking about changing his qt3 email, rather than Discourse test site email?

Yes I was referring to here at QT3.

Oh, my bad. Yes it is critical to get your email set correctly here at q23 for the migration.