Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

I thought I am quite used to Discourse (having installed my own copy recently and doing some integration to my blog) but boy, with real data, I am still not familiar. I know that choosing Unread will show me all the threads I have participated in, which I have unread items. However, how do I look for threads that I have participated and read?

I can’t log in, there is a space in my login name but I also tried with the e-mail address (which when I used to initiate a password change request, it successfully sent the e-mail to me, so I know it’s the right e-mail). I did not reset the password, rather I logged off and back into Qt3 successfully so I know it’s the correct password. Won’t take “Scott Lufkin” nor my e-mail address as the username.

When you clicked I forgot password in q23.ajalan.info and it asked you for your email, did it return that your email is valid? If it’s valid, then reset it and enter new password in Discourse and it should work.

It did, and I could, but if the goal is testing, then the test failed as my current password didn’t seem to transfer over.

That’s good to know for the future, thanks, but I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to help test the migration. I can’t reset my password as the email address I had registered at the time of the migration is defunct.

perhaps, but maybe the password is encrypted and is not able to transferred over, which is fine by me.

So, I really like reading Scott’s writeup on the disappearance of MH370 in the Discourse. That’s a lot of text and yet the reading experience is good.

Are we allowed to change thread title in the new forum - I can finally correct my own embarrassing mistakes re: MH370…sigh…

Lastly, the Unread link - turned out we can sort by Activity, by Views and by Replies just by clicking on the column title. This is cool. Wish it would remember though.

It shouldn’t! The migration is not supposed to know how to decrypt the qt3 passwords.

You’ll have to set a new password on the new board.

Wendelius

I got it reset, and I noticed my current password was only 9 characters - it probably couldn’t import it as the requirement is 10 characters, is my guess.

EDIT - Or the encryption, of course. :)

Seems like I could post in the new board. Am I supposed to? I thought it’s read only.

You are supposed to be able to post. But the focus is on quality of migrated data. I think you might want to reply to posts where you notice a migration issue to bring them “up”.

But we obviously will lose the content there post migration. So don’t post anything you want to keep.

It would be painful to do on my phone, but should we have a separate thread where we keep a list of the migration issues found so far (spoilers, multi quotes, …) and relevant links? Easier to maintain than them getting lost in here.

If we find a ton of problems, yeah. So far it’s just spoilers and quotes with blank lines in the middle.

I just have one tiny request: can we please increase the font size on the mobile site? Please?

Habibi, I hope you understand that we have one shot at getting the data we have all created here right. Wumpus said it’s a 4 days undertaking during which this forum will likely to have be read only and which involves a significant cost in work expanded.

After that, we can spend as much time and as many iterations as needed tweaking the look of the site. And the test qt3 forum Clay set up is already a good foundation for those customisations.

So I personally believe (as a software developer) that it’s really important that the checks on the test migration focus first and foremost on any posts, tags and users which didn’t transfer correctly.

We really should avoid getting bogged down by presentation (CSS) issues there if we want the transition to be successful.

Wendelius

There’s a list of things we’ll need to track for theming, etc… Not sure where the best place is to keep that list.

Also - passwords are hashed before they’re stored in the database. The hashing will rely on an additional key that won’t be available on Discourse – which is to say that passwords will not follow you to the new site or to Wumpus’ test migration site.

Ginger Yellow - ping Tom or Wumpus and they should be able to put a valid email on the test account for you. Takes 2 seconds.

p.s. I agree about the theming – let’s keep tweaking on the test forum I set up and then we can move it over when the dust settles.

Got you @Wendelius.
So far, based on threads I frequent a lot, the data seemed fine. Although there were many really old threads that started surfacing in my Unreads which I have even forgotten. So, it was fun reading through some of them.

I didn’t touch Game of Thrones though as I have not watched Season 6 :)

I don’t see why we’d shutdown the forum, or make it read-only which is effectively shutting it down, during migration. I’d leave it open and tell people their posts during the migration period wouldn’t make it over, so they can either treat them as ephemeral or move them over themselves.

I’d really like to use a crappy, throwaway password being a message board with minimal damage potential if compromised, but it seems Discourse is having none of that.

That’s definitely an option. Though you then need to ensure everyone understands what’s going on and why everything they post will not be the new forum. There will no doubt be lots of silliness, which is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Something for Tom to decide on.

Wendelius

I’ve got my trout ready.